Thoughts on the PC-2000

R

Rafy0126

Audioholic Intern
Hi,

I can't seem to find a lot of reviews on this particular sub. I got a 10' by 22' rectangular room and I was thinking going with 2 of these. But like I said there's not many reviews on this subs. I really would love to hear from someone who's owned one or has listen to them. I know there is a 45 days return policy with SVS, but I just want to learn a bit before I decide on what subs to get.

Thanks.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
You can probably extrapolate comments regarding its larger siblings, the PC12 and PC13, and get a general sense of what the 2000 provides (albeit with somewhat less ability, of course). In general though, the SVS cylinders are well regarded and their owners seem to enjoy them. Assuming a ceiling height of 8', you're under 1800 ft^3. A pair of those should be more than adequate.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
performance of PC2000 is practically identical to PB2000 and like Jim said - you'll be happy with bass
The reason to pick cylinder version over box is prior takes less floor space.

R

Rafy0126

Audioholic Intern
Yeah I forgot to mention the ceiling is about 8' and there's a stairway. I like the look of the cylinder.

M

Muzykant

Audioholic
I own one. I have it set up in a small bedroom as part of a 5.1 system used mostly for movie watching. I originally bought SB-2000 but within a few days decided to upgrade. I wanted more muscle and extension with less drama and PC-2000 delivers. I am very happy with how it handles the LFE in movies. It does a good job with music as well, but I think SB-2000 has a bit more texture and definition.

By the way, it is bigger in person than the pictures suggest.

C

Checker9

Enthusiast
It is a nice subwoofer and would be strong bass for your room size. It has built in isolation feet that are nice, and it is easy to place. Any review on the PB-2000 will equally compare to the PC-2000.t one.

R

Rafy0126

Audioholic Intern
Thanks everybody for all the info. This will definitely be sub I'm going for. Maybe even two !!!

J

Jason L Warner

Audiophyte
I own one. I have it set up in a small bedroom as part of a 5.1 system used mostly for movie watching. I originally bought SB-2000 but within a few days decided to upgrade. I wanted more muscle and extension with less drama and PC-2000 delivers. I am very happy with how it handles the LFE in movies. It does a good job with music as well, but I think SB-2000 has a bit more texture and definition.

By the way, it is bigger in person than the pictures suggest.
Can you define texture and definition? I'm interested in buying a sb2000 or pc2000.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Can you define texture and definition? I'm interested in buying a sb2000 or pc2000.
Seeing as how it uses the same driver, I would have a hard time believing the PC2000 has less texture of definition or whatever. Since sealed subs have a high f3 point, they will emphasize the mid and upper bass frequencies more. This is more perceptible than deep bass, and can give the illusion of somehow having better sound quality, at least if you are not familiar with the content being played back. Sealed will also generate more harmonic distortion, which can also be mistaken for 'texture' since it is merely a frequency multiple of the fundamental. This is called 'euphonic distortion'.

Also I have a sneaking feeling that Audioholics might have a piece on the SVS PC2000 in the future sometime, if you want to get a closer look at its performance before you pull the trigger.

Last edited:
J

Jason L Warner

Audiophyte
Seeing as how it uses the same driver, I would have a hard time believing the PC2000 has less texture of definition or whatever. Since sealed subs have a high f3 point, they will emphasize the mid and upper bass frequencies more. This is more perceptible than deep bass, and can give the illusion of somehow having better sound quality, at least if you are not familiar with the content being played back. Sealed will also generate more harmonic distortion, which can also be mistaken for 'texture' since it is merely a frequency multiple of the fundamental. This is called 'euphonic distortion'.

Also I have a sneaky feeling that Audioholics might have a piece on the SVS PC2000 in the future sometime, if you want to get a closer look at its performance before you pull the trigger.
Thank you, very much for the information!

M

Muzykant

Audioholic
PC-2000 is way better for movies than SB-2000. It basically runs circles around the sealed version. But music sounds more balanced and tighter played through SB-2000. At least when it is level matched but unequalized. I don't know how it sounds after EQ is applied - I never use equalization for any of my systems.

R

Rafy0126

Audioholic Intern
Quick question, it just crossed my mind, the sub is facing down and is pretty close to the floor (at least from the pictures) I got carpet medium high carpet , will that affect it's performance in any way?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Quick question, it just crossed my mind, the sub is facing down and is pretty close to the floor (at least from the pictures) I got carpet medium high carpet , will that affect it's performance in any way?
Doubtful, as long as there is some clearance between the woofer and carpet.

R

Rafy0126

Audioholic Intern
Yeah I though of that, once I set it up, I'll post a picture. Thanks

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
You could experiment with placing the PC2000 on top of a piece of MDF or similar hard surface to see if it makes any difference in sound for the 3/4" rise in height.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis