Wireless audio/stereo beginner

R

rambodj

Audiophyte
I have an ISP, a modem, a wireless router, a computer, and an iPod. I want to play my music library and listen to the radio in my living room/kitchen. There are several ideas floating around in my head; stereo receiver (black nice looking) on a wall shelf with wireless speakers and a NAS device attached to my router (or would it be my modem?). Is this a practical project? Bluetooth or WiFi, will all the components talk to one another? How do I interface, control, or talk to the components? As you can see I am unsure of the question to ask because of the questions I have. A starting point and direction would surpe help.

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
There are hundreds of options for wireless speakers out there now. Very few of them are high quality audiophile grade though but they may work fine for simple background music.

Cheapest option is bluetooth speakers. Plug them into power and connect your iOS/android device to them and they become external speakers for your phone. Anything you can play off your device from local/NAS/Internet will work. Walk to far away with device and music stops. Also bluetooth can't pass high quality audio as it is a bit of a slow low quality sound transfer medium.

Then we have lots of vendors selling network and wifi connected speakers. Sonos for example but there are many alternatives. These devices are often contoller via a iOS/android device but the difference is they can stream the music themselves in the background. This means you can walk away or turn your phone off and they may keep playing. Also they often support multiple rooms by buying more units.

You can get many source devices that connect to old school stereo devices via analog or digital and stream or bluetooth music though your amp/speakers as well.

And finally we have all modern AV receivers that have network, wifi and bluetooth built in that will stream music to their connected non wireless speakers. These have the best sound quality as you can use any speaker.

Another option to look into is things like Yamaha MusicCast which bridges AVR's and wireless speakers.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I have an ISP, a modem, a wireless router, a computer, and an iPod. I want to play my music library and listen to the radio in my living room/kitchen. There are several ideas floating around in my head; stereo receiver (black nice looking) on a wall shelf with wireless speakers and a NAS device attached to my router (or would it be my modem?). Is this a practical project? Bluetooth or WiFi, will all the components talk to one another? How do I interface, control, or talk to the components? As you can see I am unsure of the question to ask because of the questions I have. A starting point and direction would surpe help.
Wireless speakers still need power.

What is your budget's limit?

R

rambodj

Audiophyte
Wireless speakers still need power.

What is your budget's limit?
That is tough to answer. I am not in the twelve hundred dollar club but I can spend four hundred on three separate occasions and still feel good about it. I prefer to research before making a purchase but information overload can numb the brain fairly quickly.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
That is tough to answer. I am not in the twelve hundred dollar club but I can spend four hundred on three separate occasions and still feel good about it. I prefer to research before making a purchase but information overload can numb the brain fairly quickly.
Do you use iTunes? If so, you can stream from your computer to an AppleTV very easily. If you already use Windows Media Player, you can use a Roku and the Play To app. This also works for streaming from a smart phone, as long as it's logged into the same network as the Roku. I played with a Chromecast when they first came out, but had problems with it- I think it was my computer's fault. If you want to have music around the house and move the speakers as needed, Sonos works well, or the Yamaha Music Cast system operates similarly. I haven't used Denon's Heos, yet- I'm still interested in that.

A NAS would connect to the router- that acts as the traffic cop for the system and a NAS has a network adapter built in, so it's accessible to all computers on the network, as long as the network is configured to allow it. If you use IP-based streaming, I think you'll find that it sounds better than Bluetooth, but that will depend on the BT adapter. I tried a Music Fidelity Bluetooth receiver and it sounded good, as long as I wasn't comparing it with AirPlay through the AVR I was using at the time. Also, the range of BT isn't as great as WiFi and it's possible to extend WiFi farther, much more easily.

If you don't need radio, the easy way to do this is with IP-based speakers like Sonos, Heos, etc. Connect one piece to the WiFi and all of the rest connect to that to form its own network. You would download the Sonos/Heos/? app on your phone or tablet and control the music from there, using better speakers where necessary and smaller ones where it's only for background. These both have internet radio, so if radio is important, you're pretty well set. One thing you may not like is the fact that sporting events aren't always streamed online when the local channel is broadcasting and if you prefer the local announcers to the pinheads on network TV games, you could use some kind of AM radio with line out to feed a Sonos Connect or the Heos version. If you need more power for one area, the Connect Amp could work, but if you want a LOT of sound, a separate amp with more power is better. You can also use a Connect to feed a multi-channel amp if you plan to expand the distributed speakers and possibly have a volume control for each area/set.

This is all expandable, so you can start small and build as you go.

If you need the receiver because you want to use several sources (CD/DVD/BD/Cable music, phono, etc), you don't need anything special- as long as it's decent, noise-free and has enough inputs, you can feed the REC out to a Sonos Connect/Heos and use that volume control instead of the one on the receiver- doing this eliminates the chance that someone will turn the volume down on the wrong control and cause a lack of output and the confusion that goes along with this scenario.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis