RBH Sound Owner's Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What did he think of the RBH?
I didn't have the RBH in my house yet when he was at my house.

Another person was over my house when I did have the RBH SX-T2/R in my house. He compared the Linkwitz Orion side-by-side with the RBH. He thought the RBH was much better.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Funny story. I had another forum member over. He owned Magnepan & Revel speakers. I gave him a blinded test between the Focal & Dynaudio towers (side by side) via a Adcom speaker switcher and level matched on the Denon. He could not even tell the difference one bit between the Focal and Dynaudio. He was like, "Are you playing me? Are you sure you even switched the speakers?" :eek: :D
That is interesting! Do you need to adjust volume when you change speakers or do you have it set up so you can instantly change and have them both at the same level.
I have compared lots of pairs of speakers and there are often places where I cannot hear a difference and even wondered if they actually switched (IOW, did I push the button all of the way? Did I point the remote to one side?, etc.). However, while I have had that happen more often than not for a particular song with the right 2 pairs of speakers, there were always a few places in that song that clearly sounded different and on other songs it was quite obvious most of the time. If there is a delay for volume adjustment, I'm not sure I would notice a difference for those songs that were less revealing. I assumed you/he listened to several songs and different types of music.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That is interesting! Do you need to adjust volume when you change speakers or do you have it set up so you can instantly change and have them both at the same level.
I have compared lots of pairs of speakers and there are often places where I cannot hear a difference and even wondered if they actually switched (IOW, did I push the button all of the way? Did I point the remote to one side?, etc.). However, while I have had that happen more often than not for a particular song with the right 2 pairs of speakers, there were always a few places in that song that clearly sounded different and on other songs it was quite obvious most of the time. If there is a delay for volume adjustment, I'm not sure I would notice a difference for those songs that were less revealing. I assumed you/he listened to several songs and different types of music.
The Quick Select buttons on the Denon allows you to save different speaker channel levels. So you select the speaker on the switch box, then select the Quick Select Button. It takes a few seconds to switch speakers.

Yes, he listened to a few of his own CDs he brought along.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The Quick Select buttons on the Denon allows you to save different speaker channel levels. So you select the speaker on the switch box, then select the Quick Select Button. It takes a few seconds to switch speakers.

Yes, he listened to a few of his own CDs he brought along.
In the future, you may want to use two receivers. I assume you have a couple of Denons that are essentially (if not exactly) equivalent. Set up the two speaker systems independently on the two AVRs. Ideally use a BD player which has two HDMI outs (or an HDMI and optical) as your source so both speakers are given digital input from the same source. Turn on both AVRs, but mute one. Now every time you hit "mute" the active AVR (and associated speakers) switch. Try to avoid the newer AVR's because they have a fade-in which is an unnecessary interruption (the X4000 has the fade-in).

I find this works really well because I can switch speakers in the middle of a musical phrase or even in the middle of a note! In this configuration, it is easy to detect small differences, and when I don't, I feel pretty comfortable saying there is not an audible difference.

Here is a comment I made comparing the Wavecrest HVL-1 to the New AA Monitors regarding Time by Pink Floyd (after the chimes, when there are drums and bass chords with some light electric piano):
Many times switching between speakers in this song revealed no audible differences. Then, there were times where there was an audible difference, but I would be hard pressed to declare one better than the other.
Once the vocals come in the differences between speakers became more obvious.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
In the future, you may want to use two receivers...

...Many times switching between speakers in this song revealed no audible differences. Then, there were times where there was an audible difference, but I would be hard pressed to declare one better than the other...
I'll keep that in mind for my next life. :D

I believe I've had my lifetime shares of owning multiple high-end speakers.

But I agree with your statement on the comparison. I've compared all my speakers many times in the same room. When there are differences, the differences don't exactly translate to one being better or worse.

And I won't use any adjectives like "airy" or "warm" or whatever. :D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Well, "warm" (and "air") is a term used professionally in the recording industry to reflect emphasis or presence on a certain region of bass frequencies, just as punch is used for slightly lower (but overlapping) frequencies.
http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm
(look below the keyboard)
However, I am not interested in getting into a debate with anyone over the term if they are not already familiar with it.

BTW - That is a great chart, and although the link is interactive (hover over stuff to see info change), I bought a copy to hang on my office wall and find myself referring to it almost everytime I evaluate a pair of speakers to attempt to determine the actual frequencies of whatever characteristics I hear. It adds a little visual structure.

T

TJR

Audiophyte
Tried posting this on another site and figured I try here as well. Does anyone know how the SX-8300 compares to the Philharmonic 3, Aerial 7t or Salk SS 8 in overall balance, clarity, vocal reproduction and resolution?

At some point, I would like to have a nice 2 ch. setup for music. My preference would be for speakers being close to full range (f6 25htz), measure well, have accurate (realistic) vocal and instrument reproduction, balanced, revealing/detailed, dynamic and affordable (under 10k). I listen to most types of music.

I think it's safe to assume that the SX-8300 will likely have the most bass due to the design, but is the bass boomy or well integrated and detailed? Can you hear subtle differences in bass notes/frequencies?

The Aerial 7t is more expensive than I would Like, but all of the reviews I've read are extremely positive. Especially in regards to overall balance, quality of midrange/vocal reproduction and dynamics. As far as value, my assumption is that the other speakers I listed are better due to lower cost, but do any of them sound better than the 7t?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

TJ

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Tried posting this on another site and figured I try here as well. Does anyone know how the SX-8300 compares to the Philharmonic 3, Aerial 7t or Salk SS 8 in overall balance, clarity, vocal reproduction and resolution?

At some point, I would like to have a nice 2 ch. setup for music. My preference would be for speakers being close to full range (f6 25htz), measure well, have accurate (realistic) vocal and instrument reproduction, balanced, revealing/detailed, dynamic and affordable (under 10k). I listen to most types of music.

I think it's safe to assume that the SX-8300 will likely have the most bass due to the design, but is the bass boomy or well integrated and detailed? Can you hear subtle differences in bass notes/frequencies?

The Aerial 7t is more expensive than I would Like, but all of the reviews I've read are extremely positive. Especially in regards to overall balance, quality of midrange/vocal reproduction and dynamics. As far as value, my assumption is that the other speakers I listed are better due to lower cost, but do any of them sound better than the 7t?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

TJ
I know that you already know this 100%, but everyone has a different opinion and many different adjectives. :)

I don't know if you know this, but the SX-8300 can be set up to be actively bi-amped using another external amp. This gives you a lot more control of the bass. If the bass is too much, you turn down the bass; if the bass is too little, you turn up the bass just like you would do on a powered subwoofer.

I have owned Philharmonic 3, Linkwitz Orion, Salon2, 802 Diamond, KEF Reference 201/2. I have listened to the SX-8300. I now own RBH SX-T2.

But no matter what I think, it is just my opinion.

T

TJR

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply. How well does the SX-8300 stack up to the T2? Also, why do you prefer the T2 over the Phil 3 and Salon 2? Is it just having the ability to bi-amp the bass drivers or were there other areas that they excelled in? Is there anything that the Phil 3 or salon 2 does better than the T2?

To me, I would think the salon 2 would be a speaker with little compromise that you would be hard pressed to improve on.

Most of my home theater equipment I've had since high school; mainly a mix of cerwin vega (mains/sub) and klipsch (center/surrounds). It's ok for movies, but for music, I mainly listen through my Sony Professional MDR-7520 headphones. I would describe the sony's sound as being neutral, full range and extremely revealing. You can hear every intricate detail, which can be good or bad depending on the recording. In addition, voices and instruments sound exactly how they should. Sometimes sibilance can be a tad harsh though depending on the artist.

I'm not really a headphone person, so I'd like to eventually have a nice 2 ch setup that has similar sonic qualities to my headphones without feeling like the soundstage is in my head, if that makes sense? Opinions and recommendations are helpful, since the only nice audio store within 60 miles of me carries B&W, Paradigm and Golden Ear.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the reply. How well does the SX-8300 stack up to the T2? Also, why do you prefer the T2 over the Phil 3 and Salon 2? Is it just having the ability to bi-amp the bass drivers or were there other areas that they excelled in? Is there anything that the Phil 3 or salon 2 does better than the T2?

To me, I would think the salon 2 would be a speaker with little compromise that you would be hard pressed to improve on.

Most of my home theater equipment I've had since high school; mainly a mix of cerwin vega (mains/sub) and klipsch (center/surrounds). It's ok for movies, but for music, I mainly listen through my Sony Professional MDR-7520 headphones. I would describe the sony's sound as being neutral, full range and extremely revealing. You can hear every intricate detail, which can be good or bad depending on the recording. In addition, voices and instruments sound exactly how they should. Sometimes sibilance can be a tad harsh though depending on the artist.

I'm not really a headphone person, so I'd like to eventually have a nice 2 ch setup that has similar sonic qualities to my headphones without feeling like the soundstage is in my head, if that makes sense? Opinions and recommendations are helpful, since the only nice audio store within 60 miles of me carries B&W, Paradigm and Golden Ear.
IMO, the Phil3 and Salon2 don't do anything better than the SX-8300 for me in terms of SQ.

The T2 has Average Dispersion Array. This greatly improves Dynamics. But I think it produces more detail and resolution in midrange & treble than any speaker I have ever heard or owned.

The SX-8300 doesn't have Average Dispersion Array. I think the SX-8300 is more like Salon2, KEF 201/2, B&W 802D, Phil3. These speakers all have great midrange & treble, but IMO not as awesome as the T2.

IMO the only advantage of the SX-8300 over speakers like Salon2, 800D, KEF 207/2, Phil/Salk, etc., is that you can actively bi-amp the bass, which gives you more control. Sounds can be different, but not always better. IMO, all these speakers have great SQ. I would not say 1 speaker has "better" midrange or treble, etc.

I personally think the T2 has better midrange, treble, and bass than all these speakers. So it's not just the active bass.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
RBH SV speakers should be ready for shipping in 2 - 3 months.

SV- 6500, 61 & 661 will be silk dome tweeter.

SV-831 & 821C will be ribbon tweeter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

B

bsf

Audioholic
Would be nice to compare them = ] too bad the PL500 are 28k = ]

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Would be nice to compare them = ] too bad the PL500 are 28k = ]
Well, it's MA's statement piece and answer to the B&W 800 Diamond, Revel Salon and KEF Blade.:)

I just get a kick seeing MA with those cool quad-bass drivers like RBH.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The SV-831/SV-1212 modular tower replaces the SX-T2 modular tower (SX-T1 + SX-1010).

Obviously the SV-1212 bass cabinet has a lot more bass than the SX-1010 bass cabinet.

But I definitely want to see how the new SV-831 (ribbon tweeter) compares to the SX-T1/R (3 x 1" Reference tweeters) in terms of Dynamics, Resolution and Clarity.

E

eagle14

Audiophyte
How are the center channels as far as off-axis response and clear dialogue?
Which models would you recommend for movies under $1500?

B

bsf

Audioholic
The SV-831/SV-1212 modular tower replaces the SX-T2 modular tower (SX-T1 + SX-1010).

Obviously the SV-1212 bass cabinet has a lot more bass than the SX-1010 bass cabinet.

But I definitely want to see how the new SV-831 (ribbon tweeter) compares to the SX-T1/R (3 x 1" Reference tweeters) in terms of Dynamics, Resolution and Clarity.
When will you be able to DEMO them?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How are the center channels as far as off-axis response and clear dialogue?
Which models would you recommend for movies under $1500?
My center is the SX-T1. I think it has superb off-axis response and crystal clear dialogue with awesome dynamics.

http://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/rbh-sound-t-2/page-5

Here are measurements for 61 & 661 speakers, which also show very good off-axis.

http://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/rbh-sound-signature-se-r/signature-se-r-measurements-analysis

In general, RBH speakers are accurate on-axis and off-axis.

The SX-6100C is more expensive because it is a lot bigger with more drivers and more dynamic.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis