RBH EP-SB Wireless Bluetooth Earphones Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
RBH may be best known for high-end speakers but they have recently built a niche for themselves with high-performance earphones. The company that has been filling custom home theaters with sound since 1976 has just launched its most ambitious earphones yet. The EP-SB earphones combine an impressive array of the latest wireless technologies from aptX, CSR, Bluetooth 4.0, NFC and IPx4 – more acronyms than a brain surgeon’s business card. How did they sound? Unlike any wireless earphones we've ever heard. Read our review and watch our YouTube review to find out the details.

Read the RBH EP-SB Wireless Bluetooth Earphones Review

Tell us what activities you would do when wearing these earphones?

Last edited:
jnmfox

jnmfox

Audioholic
As soon as I saw the previews for these earphones last year I wanted them. As a fan of RBH speakers and tiring of having a wire between my phone and earphones these seemed ideal. My EP-SP’s arrived at the beginning of January and I’ve been using them ever since. I use them during my commute, in the office, and for working-out (also great for airplanes with the acoustic isolation using the Comply T-500 tips). After a couple months using Bluetooth earphones it would be difficult to go back to using wired earphones.

As an FYI, iOS does NOT support aptX. They still sound fantastic and it is not the earphones fault but something to be aware of if you are an iOS user.

They are on what I would consider expensive side for earphones, but if you use your earphones daily and enjoy great sound, it is a worthwhile investment for improved sound AND convenience.

Pros:
  • Fantastic sound
  • Great, natural bass (with Comply Tips)
  • Wireless, even more convent than I had imagined
  • Great battery life. Like the reviewer, I see well more than 5 hours of use before running out of power. I can usually get a day’s use out of them, using them during my commute and off-and-on throughout a work day. If they do run out of juice they charge quickly.
Cons:
  • Minimum volume is too loud. In a quite office it would be nice to be able to play my music at a lower volume.
  • Bulky compared to other IEMs, but expected being they are wireless. For reference, the black casing is the size of a large earplug plus the ear tip.
  • Music/Podcast remote button controls are not standard:
Standard-
o Two presses of the play/pause button skip forward
o Three is skip back
o Holding play/pause down activates Siri.

EP-SB-
o Pressing and holding the volume up is skip forward
o Pressing and holding the volume down is skip back
o Holding the stop button turns the IEMs on/off.
I am not aware of a way to activate Siri from the controls, which is handy when driving. The controls can take getting used to if you are used to the standard way of controlling earphones.​

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
As an FYI, iOS does NOT support aptX. They still sound fantastic and it is not the earphones fault but something to be aware of if you are an iOS user.
Wow thanks for sharing that info. Glad I switched to Android recently ;)

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
[QUOTE="jnmfox, post:

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that jnmfox. That's a good review. I have never been a fan of earbuds but these were enough to change my mind about that.
I think what made me dislike the earbud form factor for so long has been those silicon tips. I never really knew there were so many different tips out there.

I am impressed with the earbuds and the price is a bargain for what you're getting. They're premium priced for "workout" earbuds but for high-end earbuds they're a relative steal.

S

Shane Rich

Audioholics Approved Vendor
For those with an iPhone, Siri can be activated through the EP-SB's by pressing the "pause/play" and "volume-up/track-forward" buttons at the same time.

Dan Madden

Dan Madden

Audioholic
The biggest challenge I've had with Bluetooth wireless headsets has been their performance outside. Outside, the bluetooth signal has no walls to bounce off of and I had historically got lots of audio drop out's with various headsets.

How do these headphones perform outside? Can you put the phone inside a pocket and not get drop outs?

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
For portability / casual listening while out for a walk, etc, the RBH EP-SB seem ideal. I just bought them and am putting them through the paces. As with my other pair of Bluetooth headphones (Sennheiser MM400X) I was wishing for a bit more loudness.

DJWPAR3

DJWPAR3

Audioholic Intern
Just returned from Best Buy to check out wireless earbuds. Be careful as some pairs still have Bluetooth 3.0 instead of 4. LG Tone Infirm 149.99. Also it ONLY pairs with 1 device.
The newer? cheaper version is listed at 99.99 and has 4.0, pairs with 2 devices.
Does anyone know if that is a similar limitation on the RBH.
Where else are these available, I didn't see them on AMAZON or at the BBuy store.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I bought my RBH EP-SB direct from RBH website, user's manual says it's Bluetooth 4.0.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I was looking to pick a pair up, but it has been sold out on their website for a bit

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I really am having a hard time deciding on Bluetooth earbuds for working out, I have tried the following; (I have an Galaxy S7 Edge so I have AptX)

1. Powerbeats2 (Great bass, rest is terrible)
2. Jaybird X2 Better sonic fidelity, fit issues

I run, bike, treadmill and work out at the gym and I am looking for a great bluetooth headset.

Questions I have about the RBH:

1. How well do they stay in when your run, I have concern looking at the build
2. Compared to the Jaybird X2, if anyone has compared, how do they sound?

At 150 a pair it would appear the RBH are a no brainer, but if they don't stay in, I can't use them

On a side note I want these NOW ;) is there any chance the inventory will be replenished sooner than April 1?

Thanks

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I really am having a hard time deciding on Bluetooth earbuds for working out, I have tried the following; (I have an Galaxy S7 Edge so I have AptX)

I run, bike, treadmill and work out at the gym and I am looking for a great bluetooth headset.

At 150 a pair it would appear the RBH are a no brainer, but if they don't stay in, I can't use them

On a side note I want these NOW ;) is there any chance the inventory will be replenished sooner than April 1?

Thanks
You will have to change out the tips to the rubber ones which don't sound as good but they will stay in your ears better than the foam comply while working out. I've had good success with this while doing weightlifting and stationary bike but I don't jog so that may be a different story for those running regularly.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Thanks
Did you ever buy these RBH BT phones? Or something else?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I bought my RBH EP-SB direct from RBH website, user's manual says it's Bluetooth 4.0.
Now that you have had these for a while, anything to add?

In particular, I am most interested in the quality of construction and how well they hold up to use and abuse?

My GF has now gone through 2 pairs of budget BT ear buds! A set of Bluedio, then a set of Taotronics.

So, I think it's looking like we are just gonna have to move up the food chain to get something that will last for a respectable amount of time. Do these RBH fit that bill?

Sound quality will be a bonus, but the critical info for me right now is how robust these things are?

And, the AH article says these have a 2 year warranty, but I didn't seem to see that on the RBH page.

Anything else cheaper than $150 that you think would be a reasonably robust set of BT ear buds? SQ is not important, but must be BT and must have a mic for phone calls.

Natrix

Natrix

Junior Audioholic
Now that you have had these for a while, anything to add?

In particular, I am most interested in the quality of construction and how well they hold up to use and abuse?

My GF has now gone through 2 pairs of budget BT ear buds! A set of Bluedio, then a set of Taotronics.

So, I think it's looking like we are just gonna have to move up the food chain to get something that will last for a respectable amount of time. Do these RBH fit that bill?

Sound quality will be a bonus, but the critical info for me right now is how robust these things are?

And, the AH article says these have a 2 year warranty, but I didn't seem to see that on the RBH page.

Anything else cheaper than $150 that you think would be a reasonably robust set of BT ear buds? SQ is not important, but must be BT and must have a mic for phone calls.
I'm not MR.MAGOO, but I do own these ear buds and the HP-2 cans. These ear buds are pretty awesome and have held up well since I got them when they were first released. The only issue I have had so far is the Comply isolation tips ripped, but that is to be expected over time. I wear them when I mow the lawn and also sometimes when I work out.

Also, the HP-2 cans are phenomenal. My audio vernacular won't do justice to how awesome and comfortable they are, but suffice it to say that anyone needing a great set of relatively inexpensive cans should definitely check them out.

Last edited:
sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
The biggest challenge I've had with Bluetooth wireless headsets has been their performance outside. Outside, the bluetooth signal has no walls to bounce off of and I had historically got lots of audio drop out's with various headsets.

How do these headphones perform outside? Can you put the phone inside a pocket and not get drop outs?
A lot of times you can overcome dropouts by making sure that you carry your phone on the same side as the BT receiver side of your headphones. Usually that's the side with the controls.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
By the way, I bought a set of these and (just a first impression) I'm very happy with them so far. I just need something unobtrusive that I can use in waiting rooms and at the dog park and this fits the bill without sacrificing sound quality.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis