Sealed vs Ported dual Rythmik F15s

A

ahmedreda

Audiophyte
I have a small-medium room 12x20x8 (1920cuft). 3 walls are made of concrete and the fourth made out of drywall. I just ordered a couple of sealed rythmik f15hp but I am wondering if the fv15hp would have been a better option. From a size stand point, the sealed version appealed to me and I was thinking that with my size room, it should be sufficient at higher levels. I use my room for about 90% home theatre and 10% music. What do you guys think?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
If their entry level LV12R is any indication of how tight their ported subs are, I would recommend without question their ported sub. I would pit my LV12R against any sealed sub to the $1.5K price point in terms of tightness and articulation.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Fyi....all the sealed subs from Rythmik sell for under your suggested price point...if in fact its that good why would anyone bother with the F25,F15 or E15 models?
If their entry level LV12R is any indication of how tight their ported subs are, I would recommend without question their ported sub. I would pit my LV12R against any sealed sub to the $1.5K price point in terms of tightness and articulation.

Last edited:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I just ordered a couple of sealed rythmik f15hp but I am wondering if the fv15hp would have been a better option.
The vented FV15HP will have a significant advantage over a single F15HP around port tune (Rythmik states a 5dB advantage @ 20Hz), but above 40Hz should be roughly comparable. With a pair of F15HP's in a 2000 cubic foot space, I don't believe you'll be starving for output unless you're a particularly deranged basshead.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Fyi....all the sealed subs from Rythmik sell for under your suggested price point...if in fact its that good why would anyone bother with the F25,F15 or E15 models?
Bigger room need bigger subs with higher output capabilities. My comparison was only in terms of bass articulation and not output. Like I said, if the LV12R is that tight musically and its a ported a sub, there should be no problems moving up Rythmik's food chain of ported subs for bass articulation. That's the point I'm making :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Bigger room need bigger subs with higher output capabilities. My comparison was only in terms of bass articulation and not output. Like I said, if the LV12R is that tight musically and its a ported a sub, there should be no problems moving up Rythmik's food chain of ported subs for bass articulation. That's the point I'm making :)
I'm sure the Rythmik ported subs are so tightly controlled due to the direct servo design.

I have a single F15HP and I can say this thing is a beast in my open floor-plan. 2 of those are gonna rock.

A

ahmedreda

Audiophyte
That was kind of my reasoning when I chose the sealed version. I felt that the ported will cost more money, take more space and the difference in output would probably be at listening levels I don't usually use. I usually listen between -6 to -12db. On rare occasions like with the movie Tron, I may turn the dial up to -2db.

The vented FV15HP will have a significant advantage over a single F15HP around port tune (Rythmik states a 5dB advantage @ 20Hz), but above 40Hz should be roughly comparable. With a pair of F15HP's in a 2000 cubic foot space, I don't believe you'll be starving for output unless you're a particularly deranged basshead.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
That was kind of my reasoning when I chose the sealed version. I felt that the ported will cost more money, take more space and the difference in output would probably be at listening levels I don't usually use. I usually listen between -6 to -12db. On rare occasions like with the movie Tron, I may turn the dial up to -2db.
I went with the sealed F15HP for 2 reasons.

It was the largest sub that would fit in my available space and it was b-stock (slight dent at top back) which saved me quite a bit of $.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis