Oppo BDP-103D Blu-ray Player with Darbee Visual Processing

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
We made it over to the Darbee Visual Processing booth with the Oppo BDP-103D. The 'D' of course stands for Darbee Visual Processing. It will ship for $600, a $100 premium price over Oppo's BDP-103 player. Darbee is a brand new video processing system. What you have with Darbee (and this player) is a new way of processing video. So the BDP-103D will have three chips. It has a MediaTek chipset that handles deinterlacing and upconversion as well as basic video processing. Next is the Darbee processor that takes care of luminance-based processing to add more depth.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/cjcEatDxeiE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Read more about the Oppo BDP-103D Blu-ray Player with Darbee Visual Processing

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
We made it over to the Darbee Visual Processing booth with the Oppo BDP-103D. The 'D' of course stands for Darbee Visual Processing. It will ship for $600, a $100 premium price over Oppo's BDP-103 player. Darbee is a brand new video processing system. What you have with Darbee (and this player) is a new way of processing video. So the BDP-103D will have three chips. It has a MediaTek chipset that handles deinterlacing and upconversion as well as basic video processing. Next is the Darbee processor that takes care of luminance-based processing to add more depth.

<iframe src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/cjcEatDxeiE" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="480" width="640"></iframe>

Read more about the Oppo BDP-103D Blu-ray Player with Darbee Visual Processing

You also do not have to purchase a OPPO-103D to get Darbee. They make a little box that provides this same functionality from any DVD player for about $300.00

Here's a white paper on the product http://darbeevision.com/assets/documents/DarbeeVision Whitepaper with Tech Details 20120415.pdf

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You also do not have to purchase a OPPO-103D to get Darbee. They make a little box that provides this same functionality from any DVD player for about $300.00

Here's a white paper on the product http://darbeevision.com/assets/documents/DarbeeVision Whitepaper with Tech Details 20120415.pdf
Clint mentions the external box near the end of the video. At around $300 for that box (which looks pretty cheap, IMO), even I (speaking of cheap) would consider spending the $300 more to get it wrapped into a high-quality player. :)

Thanks for the link to that white paper.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Clint mentions the external box near the end of the video. At around $300 for that box (which looks pretty cheap, IMO), even I (speaking of cheap) would consider spending the $300 more to get it wrapped into a high-quality player. :)

Thanks for the link to that white paper.
Didn't make it to the end of the video as the link froze on me half way through (Time Warner), interesting device. I wonder if it would make a difference say, HDMI HDTV -> HDMI Cable BOX -> HDMI AVR for HD TV ?

J

jlettie

Audiophyte
I was thinking about purchasing an Oppo 103D. I learned you must have a 4K TV with a screen larger than 60" to see the actual difference with Darbee. The Oppo 103D is not HDCP 2.2 compatible. How can it truly upscale to 4K if it does not have the proper connections? You cannot stream 4K material from the internet. You cannot play 4K recorded DVD's when they become available.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
There's only one player out there right now which is said to play 4K. It's from Samsung. Thing is there's no discs for it to play. The 103 will upscale 1080 to 4K resolution; but, the appeal for me and others with both the 103 and 105 are the 7.1 analog outputs. With such I can enjoy multi-channel SACD. These OPPO units are about the only players made today which allow playback of these SACD multi-channel discs from analog output.

pacman9270

pacman9270

Enthusiast
I just got one of these players last night. Picture and sound are great out of the box. All default settings for right now. Will try and do some adjusting tonight.

J

jarrett baines

Audioholic Intern
I bought the Oppo 103. Love it but at Canadian prices it's hard to justify to my partner spending almost $1000 on a blue Ray player, even though I've bought 3, 200 dollar receivers which keep breaking on me.
But I love the model I got still at $800 she ripped me a new one. Lol. Sorry for my horrible Grammer.

J

jarrett baines

Audioholic Intern
Sorry I typed receiver while thinking blu ray.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I was debating over the 103 and 103D. The dealer I got it from basically said, the biggest impact would be on large screen TVs and mainly on shadows. After the disaster that was my Marantz Blu-ray I was not going to spend 700 to 1000+ on a new one when I will probably pick up a 4k player in a year

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I was debating over the 103 and 103D. The dealer I got it from basically said, the biggest impact would be on large screen TVs and mainly on shadows. After the disaster that was my Marantz Blu-ray I was not going to spend 700 to 1000+ on a new one when I will probably pick up a 4k player in a year
I've not seen the 103, but did get a chance to compare the 103D to my 93. The Darbee upgrade definitely offers some stunning visual impact! The Darbee enhancements are also 'push button' on the remote, itself. So on the fly adjustments can be made with little disruption.

Updated the firmware on the my 93, and it has sped up load times, but the 103 is definitely a speed demon in comparison!

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I don't dismiss that it would present an improvement, as to how much impact it would have on my gear is unknown to this point. I do know that BDP-103 has Marvell's latest Kyoto-G2H video processor as part of its Qdeo technology which by Hometheaterreview, is a marked improvement in picture quality. I went cheap, if it looks good it looks good :)

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I don't dismiss that it would present an improvement, as to how much impact it would have on my gear is unknown to this point. I do know that BDP-103 has Marvell's latest Kyoto-G2H video processor as part of its Qdeo technology which by Hometheaterreview, is a marked improvement in picture quality. I went cheap, if it looks good it looks good :)
Think about it this way: for $600 you can rest assured your movie play back will never be bested by your buddy/neighbor/fatherinlaw. And it's simply a disc player. Chances of a fault are pretty slim! There's not much to be sure of in the HT world, but you'd have to cover somebody's marketing budget to have a player of comparable performance. Period.

J

jarrett baines

Audioholic Intern
Well I figured it this way, sure I can wait and buy a 4k player but that means a new tv and that's not in the budget. So then I just looked for something with a great reputation and ran into the Oppo 103 and the 103d. It's been around for a long time and it's price has been quite high but the mass market blu ray player sucks and I've got 3 that don't work at all to prove it. And I don't see any reason to believe that the new 4k players are going to be any better. So I went with quality, durability and a great track record and a price that's not going to be reduced any time soon. And the streaming options are so good.
So I'm very happy with my choice.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Think about it this way: for $600 you can rest assured your movie play back will never be bested by your buddy/neighbor/fatherinlaw. And it's simply a disc player. Chances of a fault are pretty slim! There's not much to be sure of in the HT world, but you'd have to cover somebody's marketing budget to have a player of comparable performance. Period.
I am the only home audio buff of my pool of friends, and most have basic players and have not made the investment in gear like I have, so not worried about it. Game of Thrones and Movie Night will remain at my house for now LOL

As far as 103 vs 103D, I am very content with the unit I purchased.

J

jarrett baines

Audioholic Intern
There's only one player out there right now which is said to play 4K. It's from Samsung. Thing is there's no discs for it to play. The 103 will upscale 1080 to 4K resolution; but, the appeal for me and others with both the 103 and 105 are the 7.1 analog outputs. With such I can enjoy multi-channel SACD. These OPPO units are about the only players made today which allow playback of these SACD multi-channel discs from analog output.
Hi I'm a Newby to the world of hi fidelity. And digital is still a little confusing. Would you mind trying to explain how those (I think they're rca jacks) on the back of my oppo which have corresponding hook ups in the back of my Marantz 6010. Labeled as speaker connections up to 7 channels.
I'm sorry for my appealing lack of any knowledge about them even what to call them. But should I be using those connections to be able to play SACD'S properly through my oppo?
I hope the question makes sense. I've been trying to find some basic knowledge on the net but don't know a search term to find anything.
Please help me to not quite sound so ignorant on this topic. Lol.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Most of todays BD players only have HDMI, optical/coaxial, and stereo RCA audio output. This means even if the unit will play SACD it will not output multi-channel SACD from any output other than HDMI. Now, if you have a receiver or pre/pro which does not have HDMI inputs, you're out of luck if you want to enjoy multi-channel SACD. Since the OPPOs have multi-channel RCA output those with a receiver or pre/pro which does not have HDMI inputs can enjoy multi-channel SACD.

J

jarrett baines

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for your responce. I'm pretty new to all this so I did understand some of the Greek. Yea I'm lucky (I think) enough to have a new receiver a Marantz sr 6010. So it has hdmi which is what I'm using. And because of my apparent ignorance towards this new world I've joined of audio video (new to me anyhow) I'm playing catch up on everything. But I love the player it obviously is built like a tank and just the weight of that remote has to tell you something about quality. So as long as I'm getting all the sound quality through hdmi then I'm happy. And I'll try to figure out more of that Greek. Lol
Cheers

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis