HDMI 2.0 Specification Formally Announced

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Love it or hate it, HDMI is here it stay and it's continuing to evolve with the newly announced Version 2.0 of the HDMI specification. HDMI 2.0 will support 4k (2160p) video, 32 audio channels with up to 1536kHz sampling frequency, and dynamic auto lip-sync. HDMI 2.0 is backward compatible and work with all high speed HDMI (category 2) cables. Streaming multiple video and audio streams off one system - the sky is the limit.

Discuss "HDMI 2.0 Specification Formally Announced" here. Read the article.

internetmin

internetmin

Audioholic
New audio specs for HDMI: 32 channels

The 32 channels will evidently allow for 7.1 audio (8 channels) to up to 4 different users (8x4=32 channels they are touting).

It's unclear if the 32 channels are intended for a single installation, but that's evidently inferred in the spec. Think Dolby Atmos for home theater or multichannel implementations. Dolby Atmos has 64 speakers in its spec.

It's all interesting no matter what. It's too bad HDMI can't properly address the handshake and distance issues that have really plagued the technology from the beginning. I think if those issues could have been addressed and could be addressed in the future, the overall reaction to HDMI would be substantially more positive.

I know that I curse HDMI every time I have handshake issues between my receiver and TV.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I know that I curse HDMI every time I have handshake issues between my receiver and TV.
Yep and it always seems to happen when you have a room full of guests gearing up to give a demo :mad:

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Please let me know what brands you have so that I can make sure I avoid them. I have a Yamaha receiver and a Toshiba TV, and I NEVER have handshake issues between them. I use a cheap HDMI cable that is probably about 15 feet long.

From reading online about this, I think some companies are just incompetent when it comes to making HDMI. Avoiding them is a really good idea, no matter how good of a "deal" one of their products may seem to be.

internetmin

internetmin

Audioholic
Please let me know what brands you have so that I can make sure I avoid them. I have a Yamaha receiver and a Toshiba TV, and I NEVER have handshake issues between them. I use a cheap HDMI cable that is probably about 15 feet long.

From reading online about this, I think some companies are just incompetent when it comes to making HDMI. Avoiding them is a really good idea, no matter how good of a "deal" one of their products may seem to be.
I'm very glad you've never had the issues before. Sometimes two companies just don't like each other over HDMI ;) My TV is an older Sony LCD. The LCD panels are starting to go, so I'm holding on for dear life until it finally dies!

My Sony also gave me the pink screen of wonder on and off when viewing content from my AppleTV. Sony issued a firmware fix for it that solved that problem, but it's been flaky with my pre-pro in the middle. Sometimes, I won't get any video but I'll get audio just fine. Go figure.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I'm very glad you've never had the issues before. Sometimes two companies just don't like each other over HDMI ;) My TV is an older Sony LCD. The LCD panels are starting to go, so I'm holding on for dear life until it finally dies!

My Sony also gave me the pink screen of wonder on and off when viewing content from my AppleTV. Sony issued a firmware fix for it that solved that problem, but it's been flaky with my pre-pro in the middle. Sometimes, I won't get any video but I'll get audio just fine. Go figure.
What brand is your preamp/processor?

If I ever buy an item that does not play nice via HDMI, it is immediately going back to the store for a refund. Right now, all of my gear is fine with HDMI, so anything new that did not play nice, I would immediately blame it and return it.

I don't buy brands of gear when I read a bunch of complaints about their HDMI not playing nice. That might explain why I have never had HDMI problems. It does not matter what features or how great a "deal" it is, if it does not work right, it isn't worth having. I find it strange that some people report how much they love their gear, and yet they complain that it doesn't work right. Frankly, I don't want even a supposedly state of the art device that has an unreliable HDMI connection, even for free. It is not worth the frustration; reliable gear is the only way to go, as far as I am concerned.

Right now, I have a Roku media player, an Oppo DVD player, a DTVPal DVR, a Panasonic BD player, a Yamaha receiver and a Toshiba TV that use HDMI. All work fine, with no problems, ever. I use cheap HDMI cables, with my longest only about 15 feet. I would be happy to buy any of those brands again, as they work and are all old enough now that a failure would not cause me to complain too much.

My advice to others is, if you buy something and the HDMI does not work right, return it immediately for a refund. Then buy a different brand. Unless you like having something that does not work right, and like the idea of companies taking your hard-earned money and giving you something that does not do what they promised it would do. I really don't understand why others don't always do as I advise on this, but for some strange reason, people will put up with products that don't work as promised. I guess that is why manufacturers continue to put out things that don't work right, because people will buy them anyway, and then the company need not bother with competence, as they get paid anyway.

internetmin

internetmin

Audioholic
What a pandora's box you've opened! I unfortunately deal with HDMI all the time. There are problems where it's the cable, not the product. and sometimes it's not even the product itself but just how two particular products communicate. They may be fine on their own, but put that exact pairing together and it's a disaster. Then who do you blame? My impression is that the much more recent HDMI-based products work far, far better than older versions of HDMI-enabled products.

Believe it or not, sometimes you can simply solve HDMI-related issues by just getting 2-meter cables on each end. For whatever reason, that 6-foot length cable is sometimes the magic length that solves gremlins.

I love the promise of the convenience that HDMI offers, but real-world implementations where you're dealing with some fairly complex setups can get hairy. And don't even mention wireless HDMI. What a mess that can be in certain places and instances. :(

Count your blessings that you've solved all your HDMI issues.

B

bdahl8

Audiophyte
HDMI Problems

I have both DirecTV and Verizon FIOS.

HDMI is fine on DirecTV but FIOS will not handshake with my McIntosh MX151 pre-processor. I have to run a digital interface.

FIOS will be gone as soon as the contract is up.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis