how cool does this camera look

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I've seen something like that for the iPhone albeit a bit smaller. They seem like interesting add ons, especially since my DSLR is a pain in the berries to lug around. Especially since I'd rather wear a regular backpack than the camera backpack.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
We have one of them big canon monsters, with 5 lenses and what I PITA it is, it makes vacation horrible because you have to lug it around, worry aobut putting it down somewhere someone will walk away with it, worry about banging it, blah blah blah... I have a small nikon ashton kutcher camera that has lasted a long time, it has to be like 4 years old and I have taken tons of pics with it, but they aren't pics lie my wifes gets with the canon... this is supposingly just as good, zeiss makes awesome glass, i have a zeiss scope on one of my hunting rifles it was like $2000 but better than a swarvoski that would cost double that...

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sony zeiss is in name only, they are made by Sony not zeiss.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Sony zeiss is in name only, they are made by Sony not zeiss.
That sucks, says carl zeiss rite on it and I actually have another sony camera that I keep at my office for when we need to take pics of insurance jobs, that says zeiss... says they are partners on zeisses site too.. Sony | ZEISS International I find it hard to belive they have nothing to do with them, so they don't make the lenses for sony?

G

Grador

Supposedly they are designed in partnership, whatever that means in reality is questionable. Either way, they are not manufactured by zeiss. If you really think about it, for a camera like this it would be impossible for zeiss to manufacture the lens as it's an integral part of the body. They may or may not produce some or all of the optical components [I do not know] but there's no way they assemble which is an extremely critical part of manufacture.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe cool, but their price are not "cool" at all - Sony's QX Smart Lens attaches an entire camera to your smartphone | The Verge
For casual photography, especially during daytime phone's camera is more than enough for me and for critical shots there is replacement for displacement (aka fast lens and large sensor)

I will skip this one, for active vacations I bought waterproof camera - Panasonic DMC-TS3 for $200 on sale
Newer budget model:
Amazon.com: Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS25 16.1 MP Tough Digital Camera with 8x Intelligent Zoom (Blue): PANASONIC: Electronics

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Supposedly they are designed in partnership, whatever that means in reality is questionable. Either way, they are not manufactured by zeiss. If you really think about it, for a camera like this it would be impossible for zeiss to manufacture the lens as it's an integral part of the body. They may or may not produce some or all of the optical components [I do not know] but there's no way they assemble which is an extremely critical part of manufacture.
I looked into this a little further, Zeiss actually does make the lenses, and in some cases they actually perform the final assembly of the units, the Zeiss marked cameras are actually designed by a Sony/Zeiss team and then assembled by zeiss and packaged and marketed by Sony...

G

Grador

Your initial link to zeiss claimed otherwise. When given two conflicting pieces of information both from primary sources, I'm going to stick with what I initially thought.

Edit: "Sony and Carl Zeiss develop Lenses for Sonys digital cameras together. Then the manufacturing takes place in Sony facilities according to Carl Zeiss specifications."

Edit 2: This isn't even to say it's important either way. A good lens is a good lens no matter who makes it.

Last edited by a moderator:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I don't know? Well anyway my zeiss/sony is still working well and takes great pictures... some of the zeiss sony lenses are very sought after too... My brother bought one of them rx1 cameras with the zeiss vario-sonnar t lens, he paid over $3000 for it and I thought he was crazy, but that thing is pretty impressive, takes better pictures than my canon 5d that was almost twice as expensive after all the lenses, flashes, ect... Plus its half the size... very impressive unit...

I like this idea of using your phone, just carry a small lens around your neck and take pics with your phone, if they are decent pics, I will have to buy one, especially since its only like $250...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis