Yamaha CD-S3000 CD/SACD Player Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Let's face reality: pairing a statement level integrated amplifier like the Yamaha A-S3000 with a cheap CD player is roughly the Hi-Fi equivalent of forcing your wife to wear a garbage bag to save a few bucks. Sure it can be done, and the results might even be passable for an afternoon or two; however, we wouldn't count on the combination bringing long term satisfaction. Humans are visual creatures after all, and pride of ownership makes a huge difference in our perceptions. So what then would better complement the aforementioned Yamaha A-S3000 than the CD-S3000? Priced at a lofty $6,999.95, the CD-S3000 probably isn't going to make its way into our budget system recommendations any time soon. Still, if you're curious what goes into a $7000 CD/SACD player, keep reading.

Discuss "Yamaha CD-S3000 CD/SACD Player Preview" here. Read the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You did just make a reference to trophy wives, right? :p

One notable omission to the feature set is the lack of multi-channel analog outputs; without these or an HDMI output, SACD is down-mixed into 2.0 format and fed through the analog outputs.
Stunned by that statement, I checked the manual to verify that it couldn't do it some other way. Wow. That's a pretty huge omission, I think. Then again, I'm not the target audience...or even in the same zip code as the target audience.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
You did just make a reference to trophy wives, right? :p
How I Met Your Mother ;)

Stunned by that statement, I checked the manual to verify that it couldn't do it some other way. Wow. That's a pretty huge omission, I think. Then again, I'm not the target audience...or even in the same zip code as the target audience.
It is definitely interesting, though I'm assuming Yamaha figures the target audience of the CD-S3000 is pretty much mutually inclusive with the A-S3000.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
The fact that this product made it to market in 2013 has me seriously questioning whether Yamaha is a viable company going forward. Who would approve the development of a standalone CD player in 2013 - especially one that sells for $7000??!! Who on earth would actually buy this product?

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
People still buy CD players, Burmester makes the "069" ... a $65k CD player that's still being sold, some people still want and uses physical media

I don't play physical CD's anymore... but still respect people that like to run CD's...

I certainly don't believe the marketing guys in Yamaha are stupid, I'm sure they will sell these
Asian market is quite different too, maybe there's really a big demand for CD players in Asian, Chinese market....

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
I listen to CDs still, too. I recognize the (albeit small and declining) market for physical media. What I don't understand is why anyone would buy this instead of a $1k universal disc player from Oppo, Marantz, etc.

D

dingus48

Enthusiast
There is nothing "pretty cool" about a $7k CD player. What a shameless sellout to commercial interests over common sense and what is really needed for robust digital audio. But I guess we'll be seeing more Yamaha ads on this site, just like we saw more Core Audio ads after that embarassing "Hi-Res Music Playback Software Comparison" trainwreck. Hey, it's all about revenue and clicks, as we were recently reminded, right?

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
There is nothing "pretty cool" about a $7k CD player. What a shameless sellout to commercial interests over common sense and what is really needed for robust digital audio. But I guess we'll be seeing more Yamaha ads on this site, just like we saw more Core Audio ads after that embarassing "Hi-Res Music Playback Software Comparison" trainwreck. Hey, it's all about revenue and clicks, as we were recently reminded, right?
There are plenty of other audio forums for you to participate if you don't like it here. In fact, in your case, I encourage it.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
There is nothing "pretty cool" about a $7k CD player.
Sure there is: it's an overbuilt, over the top design. It's obviously not for the value conscious, but that's a different issue.

With respect to the rest of your rant, nobody is saying that it's some high value piece of equipment that everybody and their brother should run out to purchase. You'd think it got a Product Of The Year Award reading your post. I'd also seriously doubt a "pretty cool" rating for this player is even a blip on Yamaha's radar. It's not exactly a glowing review that they can proudly post on the product page.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Sometimes I envy people who buy old fashioned mechanical products......

Why do you think Jaeger Le Coultre can sell $300k mechanical watches?
Do you think people who buy $200k+ mechanical watches are stupid, I don't
I went to a shop in Geneva to look at Jager le-Coultre Turbillion watch at CHF $100k, amaaaaaaaaaaazing, wish I could afford it....

If they can spend that amount of money on a watch it means they understand some things in life that many of us will never ever do.....

Look to this:
CAS 2013: Audio Note UK | Confessions of a Part-Time Audiophile

It's a $ 456.000 Audio note rig that contains record player and a cd player, out of this world senseless... but I'm happy stuff like this exists :p
I'm probably extremely "stupid" to find rigs like this interesting but that's my problem...

yes, some people should go other places if they don't like it here, I like it here

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Sure there is: it's an overbuilt, over the top design. It's obviously not for the value conscious, but that's a different issue.
Absolutely. It's not for me, but I can appreciate the quality. I can appreciate a Ferrari, too, and the fact that it would cost a heck of a lot more than an extra $7k compared to another car that goes from point A to point B doesn't make it a junk product. When Motorweek previews a Porsche, I don't think, "Sell outs. You should be reviewing a Camry." :D I'm happy to see the higher priced items. It helps to broaden out awareness of some of the things that are out there. People can get in a rut thinking and posting about the same X number of products all of the time.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Absolutely. It's not for me, but I can appreciate the quality. I can appreciate a Ferrari, too, and the fact that it would cost a heck of a lot more than an extra $7k compared to another car that goes from point A to point B doesn't make it a junk product. When Motorweek previews a Porsche, I don't think, "Sell outs. You should be reviewing a Camry." :D I'm happy to see the higher priced items. It helps to broaden out awareness of some of the things that are out there. People can get in a rut thinking and posting about the same X number of products all of the time.
Speaking of Porsche, (I"m kicking myself for not taking a pic of it ) I saw a Carrera GT3 parked at a Wendy's last night close to where I live. Nice spankin car. :)

D

Darkwing_duck

Audioholic
Man $7000 for this? The Oppo 105 is still the superior device and it's 5x cheaper for crying out loud

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis