Yamaha A-S3000 Integrated Amplifier Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
When I think about the Yamaha brand, my mind immediately jumps to their value oriented line of receivers. Boasting attractive, powerful, and reasonably priced products, Yamaha is a strong competitor in that market. However, with the A-S3000 integrated amplifier, Yamaha isn't looking to offer the most watts for the dollar; they're making a statement that they still have the capability and the desire to make electronics that are second to none, even compared with names like McIntosh, Mark Levinson, Classe, etc. Viewed in that light, the $7,999.95 price tag for the A-S3000 isn't totally out of place, even if it isn't exactly an impulse buy for most. So what does a nickel short of $8,000 get you? Keep reading to find out.

Discuss "Yamaha A-S3000 Integrated Amplifier Preview" here. Read the article.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Its a beautiful looking unit but 8K is hard to swallow. I hope Audioholics gets to test this unit as I feel the output power numbers listed in the specs are very conservative indeed.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Its a beautiful looking unit but 8K is hard to swallow. I hope Audioholics gets to test this unit as I feel the output power numbers listed in the specs are very conservative indeed.
Yea it reminds me of the Marantz PM-11S2. Love those VU meters though!

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Gene, do you know if its a class A design?
It's not mentioned in any of the product literature, and with a rated power consumption of 500W, assuming that's max, the efficiency points to Class AB.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
It's not mentioned in any of the product literature, and with a rated power consumption of 500W, assuming that's max, the efficiency points to Class AB.
I'd imagine that's rated per the old FTC method of 2 channels driven full power. 100x2/.5 + power from other components = around 500 watts. It's likely Class AB with a higher than norm Class A bias. Years ago Yamaha used to employ a sliding Class A bias. Not sure if they still do but I can ask them at CEDIA next month.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Gene, plz.... It would be nice if you do this !
Thx in advance :p

Is there an upcoming power amp in this series too?

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Yamaha A-S3000

It's nice! However; the cost is nuts!:rolleyes:

B

beyond 1000

Enthusiast
How the hell can you justify this thing as compared with pre/pro - poweramp combos from Outlaw, Emotiva, Cinenova, Lexicon, etc. Not a chance on this.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Where is the Yamaha A-S3000 Integrated Amplifier made?

F

FlyhiG

Audiophyte
Black or Blue

Always liked Yamaha as I used to have one of their very good receivers back in the day. I applaud the unit but for $8000.00 bucks I would buy a McIntosh integrated amp. More power, features and style, with those pretty blue meters.

Spookyfoot

Spookyfoot

Audioholic Intern
I have a couple of Yamaha amps, including the A-S2000….I wonder how much of a difference in sound I would even notice compared to the A-S2000. It's beautiful and I would love to have meters on my amp, but $8k is very steep.<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>

alan1074

alan1074

Audiophyte
I have the AS2000 and the CD2000 which I only use if the Marantz SAIIS2 doesn't read a CD. The AS2000 is a wonderful amp and I can't really imagine the 3000 is going to be significantly better for such a big price difference. Visually it's much more attractive though. Initially I liked the look of the AS2000 but next to the Marantz it's not the prettiest thing.

G

Goliath

Full Audioholic
Hi Alan,

How would you describe the sound quality of the AS2000?

alan1074

alan1074

Audiophyte
Hi Alan,

How would you describe the sound quality of the AS2000?
Morning Goliath

I think "non threatening" is a good, general term. The sound is transparent, with good imaging and it's very easy on the ear. The bass is probably not the thickest out there but I only have a small listening room so I prefer the clearer sound anyway.

frisqo

frisqo

Enthusiast
does anyone own this amp?
if so, can anyone say what you think about it, is it worth the extra money, or is the as2000 or as2100 enough ??

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
does anyone own this amp?
if so, can anyone say what you think about it, is it worth the extra money, or is the as2000 or as2100 enough ??
Here is a review from a guy who had both.
Personally, I believe the differences between high quality amps like these (from mainstream quality brands) is far too subtle to make the kind of claims he does about hearing differences. I do believe I would be inclined to think the amp with big VU meters would sound better than the one without!
But to each his own.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/the-yamaha-a-s-3000-integrated-amp-review/

Interesting, right now Amazon pricing is $7000 in black and $8000 in silver. I like silver, but not sure it sounds $1000 better!:rolleyes:

I am being tongue in cheek here. If your AS2000 is properly matched to the demands of your speakers, I cannot imagine you could tell the difference in a blind test.
Some companies deliberately color the sound from their gear to attract attention, but I think Yamaha has always had a philosophy of maintaining the purity of the original signal.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis