Playstation 4 and Xbox One

S

SearchofSub

Banned
Since I have got my new TV and Speakers ordered, now its time to look into gaming systems for my HT since the release date for the XBox One and the PS4 is just around the corner in a few monthes time.

From the outside look of it, it seems like XBox One is trying to bring all media applications being played into one source, the Xbox One.

The Playstation 4 on the other hand is sticking with its gaming roots, of putting out a system that only handles just games plain and simple.

Question here is, what gaming system would you go for and why?

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'd go for a dedicated PC on the TV. Same price, more flexibility.

Trade off is that it'd be slightly more cumbersome to use. That said each generation of console has been adding more and more roadblock to...playing games.

S

SearchofSub

Banned
Thank you for your input Grador. Although you didnt give us a clear answer, I do agree that gaming consoles are being designed now to wrap all media applications to one. Just like how T.V's are being done today. With the extra cost of the XBox One adding the retarded Kinect into the package with the extra retail cost, I think PS 4 is the better deal for most people that are getting the gaming console just to play games. The smart thing Microsoft did was branding the image of the XBox 360 into more of a Arcade style console compare to the PS 3 which are majorly imaged as the system for the gaming nerd.

So again I ask, which console would you go for Grador and why? (you are gonna get one arent you?)

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
I answered, it was clear, I would go for neither and I explained why.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thank you for your input Grador. Although you didnt give us a clear answer, I do agree that gaming consoles are being designed now to wrap all media applications to one. Just like how T.V's are being done today. With the extra cost of the XBox One adding the retarded Kinect into the package with the extra retail cost, I think PS 4 is the better deal for most people that are getting the gaming console just to play games. The smart thing Microsoft did was branding the image of the XBox 360 into more of a Arcade style console compare to the PS 3 which are majorly imaged as the system for the gaming nerd.

So again I ask, which console would you go for Grador and why? (you are gonna get one arent you?)
I'm gonna give it some time to see how it plays out.

This generation, I prefer Xbox 360. Last generation, I preferred PS2.

I refuse to pass judgement until all the cards are on the table (and maybe even until a price drop).

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
The Xbox One is open to independent developers combine that with the fact that Microsoft makes the best developer tools in the industry and it sure looks like they are going to win. I'm sure Sony will consider the same, but they simply don't have the tools that MS does.

S

SearchofSub

Banned
I've always had this image in my head with Xbox and Playstation. It always seems like action and sports games are better suited for Xbox and the Role playing stratedegy games are always better on the PS for some reason. Its just the image I have in my head for years of gaming in the past. It always seemed like the action games the Xbox processed better than the PS. And the Role playing games that you always want were always exclusive to the Playstation. Since I am a big fan of the Final Fantasy series, and like Role playing games in general, the PS might be a better choice, but the Microsofts online gaming seems like aloot more user-friendly on the Xbox.

Difficult choice.. also, the XBox One looks alot cleaner and better than the PS 4 imo.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Sony tried to go the media hub route with the PS 3 and that didn't work. I don't see why MS's offering would fare any better. I was leaning towards getting an Xbox one but once they tried to pull that "no sharing games" crap, I immediately swore off MS.

S

SearchofSub

Banned
Wasn't "no sharing games" just a rumor? I thought it was cleared off when they officially announced the XBox One a few monthes back...

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Wasn't "no sharing games" just a rumor? I thought it was cleared off when they officially announced the XBox One a few monthes back...
Haha. It was NOT a rumor. When they announced it at E3 they said that a game could be shared with 1 person ONLY, and it had to be someone on your friend list for 30+ days.

They also said that it would have to make a connection to the internet at least 1 time every 24hrs. They also said that the kinect would have to be connected at all times to play.

When MS started hearing outrage from the paying public, they quickly backpedaled and changed these policies. No rumor, bad decisions that they "fixed" along the way.

Tyfighter

Tyfighter

Junior Audioholic
I have both reserved, but I'm not too excited for either. I also have Wii U and a few gaming PCs...I do like a few of the launch games of the PS4, the $399 price point, and the extra power under the hood, but ultimately nothing I'm super excited for at both Xbox One and PS4 launches. I usually feel this way, it's that sweet spot a year after launch that I get more time with these things. Other than two games, my Wii U was untouched all year, it's only now approaching a year old that I'm interested in some software that's finally releasing. I remember the same for Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, and Dreamcast days...same for N64, Saturn, and PS1 now that I think back, haha.

Last edited:
Tyfighter

Tyfighter

Junior Audioholic
The Xbox One is open to independent developers combine that with the fact that Microsoft makes the best developer tools in the industry and it sure looks like they are going to win. I'm sure Sony will consider the same, but they simply don't have the tools that MS does.
The PS4 won over independent developers earlier this year and as a result big name indies were angry at Xbox management. Big namers like the Braid guy were swearing off Xbox One. It was only recently that Xbox Management decided to be more open to due to pressure from the indies. Plus, the lead guy of Xbox Don Mattrick just left to join Zynga, so there have been a lot of policy shifts from May to August.

Here is more about the indies policy shift: http://www.shacknews.com/article/80332/indies-react-to-rumored-xbox-one-self-publishing-policy

Check this out, it's a list of reversals to match PS4 polices since may: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/19/microsoft-reversing-xbox-one-internet-used-game-policies (The latest reversal is that Kinect is no longer required, a headset is now included in the Xbox One like PS4, and Independent developers can now self publish on Xbox One aren't included in this list as those are more recent policy reversals.)

Sony didn't consider the same, they actually implemented self publishing for the independent developers first. It's good that Xbox matched it, definitely, as gamers will have access to more games. I'm down with that.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis