B

BMW

Junior Audioholic
While I am getting very close to re-doing my den, I still need 2 things. A processor as i already have all my amps, parasound and my 7 speakers, PMC. I am waiting to see the reviews on the Krell Foundation, but the big problem now is the display. I currently have a 70" Sony and certainly don't want to get any smaller.
The install will be in my den which opens into 3 rooms and to the patio. Projector???? Can this be done realistically? Big displays seem hard to come by. I do watch a fair amount of TV. Will a projector work well for this? Almost time to Pony up. Insight would be appreciated.

BMW

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
If you get a light cannon a projector will work, but those can be pretty expensive.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I wouldn't go with a projector if you can't properly control light. It will be severely disappointing.

With 80" and 90" available from Sharp and 75" from Samsung, you certainly have some larger flat panel options which are out there. Yes, they can be expensive, but not outrageous as what a 103" or 150" Panasonic flat panel will run you.

Theaters need dark - it's a requirement for best, or often even basic acceptable results.

B

BMW

Junior Audioholic
While there are terrific 65" plasma displays on the market, after that what displays are rated highly rated? It's a bummer that they can't make something that is a little bigger and semi reasonable. There is a market.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
While there are terrific 65" plasma displays on the market, after that what displays are rated highly rated? It's a bummer that they can't make something that is a little bigger and semi reasonable. There is a market.
Plasma displays look superior to all others in a completely dark room, but the Sharp 90" LCD doesn't look BAD, it just doesn't look as good as the ST series or better Panasonic plasmas.

But, neither do projectors in anything but excellent setups. A projector in a flat black (or similar) room with no ambient light and true light control can look spectacular. Better than most movie theaters... But, if you don't have that environment, then a mediocre LCD display will look better.

I think the Samsung 75" LCD is one of the best looking larger displays on the market that I have seen in that size range. But, even then, they aren't a ton better than the Sharps and aren't a whole lot worse than the Panasonic plasmas. In a lit room, LCD can often look much better even.

Worth reading reviews and going into stores which have those displays and really putting eyes on them.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
You can certainly do a projector in a living room area I have before, but I still recommend a TV.

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
Based upon my own experience, you don't need a thoroughly darkened room to enjoy a modern projector, although you do need some light control. A good projector will run $2,500 to $3,000, especially now as new-model introduction time nears. An 80" or 90" flat-screen TV will cost as much or more than a projector. You can always improve light control, if necessary, and you can enlarge the picture with a projector by zooming out and purchasing a larger screen. Try that with a flat-screen!

champster

champster

Audiophyte
I'm building a home theater so I have been checking out a lot of projectors. These days projectors are much brighter than the old projectors, but you can improve the picture even more with high quality screen that blocks out ambient light.
If you watch TV during the day with day light and don't want to close the curtains/blinds then better get a TV.
Indoor lights are more manageable these days.

A

Aapte

Audiophyte
If you are already enjoying with a 70" Sony monitor then I would not suggest to buy one more TV with a bigger screen output, although you can definitely turn your decision on to a good projector that is best compatible for your TV & results best display in your den area. Espon has a good projector range to match with LED & OLED TVs.
For a practical overview I would also suggest you to hit youtube for a good projectorr review or review a nearby shop to watch for how exactly the display will look according to your den dimensions & also as per your budget.

D

DreamBanger

Audiophyte
I have a projector in my living room. I don't see any problems with it. I control the lighting with thick curtains and i can still connect my cable box and watch TV.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis