Tekton Enzo - The most inexpensive speakers that is in the league with high-end speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SearchofSub

Banned
The hypex amps are awesome, but are expensive and are totally DIY. If you don't have any experience with electrical circuits and building electrical components then you pretty much have to find someone to build one for you or wait for a pre-built one to come up on the used market.

My statement was a little tongue in cheek because most mid level receivers will deliver 100wpc into 2 channels with low distortion.

fuzz check this out..

- James Romeyn

$1,480 for the stereo N400. He orders all parts and assmbles them and ships em out for $1,480. With inteconnects and pair of speaker cables $1,780 shipped.

Maybe i'll get this with the regular Lores.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I'm still lost as to what you are trying to achieve? What is your budget? and What do you want? music only? What are your sources , cd player ipod record player????

If its just music grab some decent bookshelfs and a decent sealed sub or 2 with a decent amp (xpa2 is my favorite) and either a dac or a preamp of some sort {xda1 or usp1 or both}...
Ascend towers with a uls15 dual drive, xda1 and an xpa2 sounds amazing, you will be happy and talk about it forever for around $5000, you would be done 2.2 music system, a friend of mine has the exact system except uses a umc200 with it and a mini x amp to run a set of polk lsi bookshelfs for a 4.2 system for movies, it sounds AMAZING {I have a couple friends with ascend towers, they are nice}... just go for it, pull the trigger, call ascend, hsu and emo, order everything and stop obsessing about it, you will be floored, believe me...

S

SearchofSub

Banned
My budget right now is $2,500 in 13 x 13 x 10 room going 2.0.

I would like the best pair of speakers + amp + dac + cables with no sub. (this is because half of my sources are only recorded in 2.0 mode).

It is 95% movies and about 5% music.

If a M-Lore owner can tell me this it would help me out greatly... Will the M-Lore completely fill a 13 x 13 x 10 room?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
1) Do you have a receiver?

2) How are you 95% movies and half your sources are 2.0?

3) Who watches movies without a sub?

4) Cables shouldn't even be part of the budget unless you want to just say monoprice interconnects.

5) Are the movies portion you cited DVD, BD, or streamed?

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
It's a Yogism like when he said, "Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical."

S

SearchofSub

Banned
1) Do you have a receiver?

2) How are you 95% movies and half your sources are 2.0?

3) Who watches movies without a sub?

4) Cables shouldn't even be part of the budget unless you want to just say monoprice interconnects.

5) Are the movies portion you cited DVD, BD, or streamed?

1.) Nope.

2.) Check out #5.

3.) I guess I will be the first one? :D

4.) Alot of pro-reviewers say that switcing speaker cables made a difference to Tekton speakers. (cant speak for other speakers)

5.) 30% DVD's recorded in 2.0, about 15% Bluray, about 55% stream (Netflix/HD Direct-TV)

What do you think?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I think you are way off, and seem to be going backwards with the more research you do...

How about this...

since it is 95% movies, get a 5.1, with $2500 you can be happy with it...
HSU VTF2 $600
Ascend 340 fronts and 200 surrounds $1150
and Pioneer SC-1222-K 7.2-Channel Network Ready AV Receiver - Newegg.com for a receiver...
then that leaves you some money for cables and stands if needed...

thats the best you are going to find sound wise for the money, ask me how I know... I don't understand why you want a dac with 5% music? good luck...

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
1.)

4.) Alot of pro-reviewers say that switcing speaker cables made a difference to Tekton speakers. (cant speak for other speakers)
Well that is a good clue that these guys are idiots. Unless the original cables were inadequate to get the job done. Simple physics!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The hypex amps are awesome, but are expensive and are totally DIY. If you don't have any experience with electrical circuits and building electrical components then you pretty much have to find someone to build one for you or wait for a pre-built one to come up on the used market.

My statement was a little tongue in cheek because most mid level receivers will deliver 100wpc into 2 channels with low distortion.
Fuzz, what is it about the Hypex modules that make them so appealing? I've seen a lot of buzz about them, but no hard facts or measurements. Any chance you know a link to 3rd party measurements? I'm gonna go look at the spec sheet pretty soon here.

I have seen them and haven't had a chance to really read up on the technology, so hoping you could give me a quick and concise answer.

They seem kind of small physically, that could be nice, but I'm assuming class D. Do they come with a P/S or is that something else you have to source and build?

I have built an ST-70, a Bottlehead Quickie, and a PAIA Fatman Synth (that was rather complicated!). I was thinking my next project would be a from-scratch amp from plans, but maybe I could do the Hypex instead. Especially if I could make some $ putting these together for people, that might be nice!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Honestly I have nothing to link, but I'm pretty sure GranteedEV does. He's the one who has said some really good things about the modules. What makes them so appealing is that if you do the work yourselves, you can have an amplifier that delivers tons of power, extremely high efficiency, very low distortion, low heat, and in a package minuscule compared to most amps out there. They sell the modules and the PS's, but not cases switches, wires, etc.

There's a lot of information right on the website hypex.nl that could explain it better than I, or PM GranteedEV.

Fuzz, what is it about the Hypex modules that make them so appealing? I've seen a lot of buzz about them, but no hard facts or measurements. Any chance you know a link to 3rd party measurements? I'm gonna go look at the spec sheet pretty soon here.

I have seen them and haven't had a chance to really read up on the technology, so hoping you could give me a quick and concise answer.

They seem kind of small physically, that could be nice, but I'm assuming class D. Do they come with a P/S or is that something else you have to source and build?

I have built an ST-70, a Bottlehead Quickie, and a PAIA Fatman Synth (that was rather complicated!). I was thinking my next project would be a from-scratch amp from plans, but maybe I could do the Hypex instead. Especially if I could make some $ putting these together for people, that might be nice!

S

SearchofSub

Banned
I think you are way off, and seem to be going backwards with the more research you do...

How about this...

since it is 95% movies, get a 5.1, with $2500 you can be happy with it...
HSU VTF2 $600
Ascend 340 fronts and 200 surrounds $1150
and Pioneer SC-1222-K 7.2-Channel Network Ready AV Receiver - Newegg.com for a receiver...
then that leaves you some money for cables and stands if needed...

thats the best you are going to find sound wise for the money, ask me how I know... I don't understand why you want a dac with 5% music? good luck...

I thought DAC's would enhance the audio data coming from streaming services (netflix/direct-tv hd) as well as blu-ray discs etc.

iFi-audio iDAC

Is this not the case?

I currently have a direct-tv that only does streaming picture in 1080i mode. The bluray player that I will use upconverts regular dvd's PICTURE to 1080p BUT i dont know about the audio... This bluray player will also be the source where I play my music cd's and pandora etc.

I was thinking if I get the iDAC all applicattions running will be upconverted to clearest sound in highest resolution.. Please correct me if im wrong.

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
External DAC's like this are largely inconsequential, even more so if you don't have any other equipment already. Most receivers have DAC's that are competent and I doubt you would notice a huge if any difference between a good receiver and the DAC you linked.

They only help if need to take the digital signal and convert it to an analog signal to pump into an external amplifier. Something that a receiver will do.

Step 1: Pick which speakers you are going to get.

Step 2: Buy them.

Step 3: Pick out a good receiver.

Step 4: Buy it.

Step 5: Get everything set up and live with it for awhile.

Step 6: After living with whatever speakers and receiver you bought, then decided if you are missing anything and go from there.

I can't put it any more simply than that. :)

I thought DAC's would enhance the audio data coming from streaming services (netflix/direct-tv hd) as well as blu-ray discs etc.

iFi-audio iDAC

Is this not the case?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

iFi-audio iDAC

Is this not the case?

I currently have a direct-tv that only does streaming picture in 1080i mode. The bluray player that I will use upconverts regular dvd's PICTURE to 1080p BUT i dont know about the audio... This bluray player will also be the source where I play my music cd's and pandora etc.

I was thinking if I get the iDAC all applicattions running will be upconverted to clearest sound in highest resolution.. Please correct me if im wrong.
Are you familiar with the term "no free lunch"?

You can't add resoution that isn't there on audio (or video for that matter). The video uses algorithms to smooth out artifacts, but it does not add resolution.....no free lunch

S

SearchofSub

Banned
Finally getting my gear together.

1. Vizio 65' M-series screen. ($1,100 off ebay)

2. Tekton M-Lore w/ Mondorf SIO cap upgrade. ($907.00)

3. TBI MG3 Amp. ($500)

4. Emotiva UMC -200 Pre-amp. ($600)

5. Neo - Morpheus Speaker cable (pair) and Interconnects (pair) ($550)

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I thought this was 95% movies yet you buy a music system with no sub and a HT avr?

Toss out the cap upgrade, swap the 30w amp {why would you pick that thing?} for an Emotiva UPA500, and don't spend $550 on cables, go to amazon and get all your cables for $60 they will sound the same, have an M-Lore center made, grab a pair of inexpensive bookshelfs for surrounds, and add a decent subwoofer... Otherwise if you now want a low powered music system I don't know what to tell you...

I'm sorry to tell you this but, you are worse than my wife when it comes to making a decision, this thread has been so painful it should be deleted for ever, tossed to the depths of the planet and locked away never to be discussed again... Dateline's Chris Hanson was 100% correct "the internet IS a dangerous place"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I thought this was 95% movies yet you buy a music system with no sub and a HT avr?

Toss out the cap upgrade, swap the 30w amp {why would you pick that thing?} for an Emotiva UPA500, and don't spend $550 on cables, go to amazon and get all your cables for $60 they will sound the same, have an M-Lore center made, grab a pair of inexpensive bookshelfs for surrounds, and add a decent subwoofer... Otherwise if you now want a low powered music system I don't know what to tell you...

I'm sorry to tell you this but, you are worse than my wife when it comes to making a decision, this thread has been so painful it should be deleted for ever, tossed to the depths of the planet and locked away never to be discussed again... Dateline's Chris Hanson was 100% correct "the internet IS a dangerous place"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+1
+10
+100

Why, why, why? How did the OP come up with this system???

It was not from advice from here! Come and ask for advice, get good advice, ignore said advice and then either wonder why you aren't getting the quality you craved, or convince yourself that it sounds great.

Listen to IMCloud and the others.

Do not waste your $ on fancy schmancy cables and cap upgrades! Get a real amp with real power, and get a subwoofer (or 2).

Take the money that you want to waste on cables and caps and buy acoustic treatments for the room. I guarantee that this will give you a huge audible improvement if done correctly and be money much, much better spent than on cables!

IMCloud, I think this is part of the reason that most of the AH crew hate on Tekton so much. The people looking into Tekton refuse to believe in objective information and instead rely on subjective info and voodoo science :eek::eek::eek: This isn't the first time we've seen it here.

Let me make an analogy on the subject of speakers and room treatments. (Assuming you don't have a turntable) Speakers are the ONLY part of the signal chain that are transducers (i.e. takes an electrical signal and converts it to a mechanical signal). After the signal comes from the speakers as sound, the interactions of the sound with the room (ie acoustics) play a huge part in the overall quality. Now, take these concepts and apply them to a Porsche 911. The tires are the ONLY part of a car than make contact with the road so consider these as an analogy to the speakers. Consider the road itself as the room treatments. Would you buy a Porsche and put Walmart tires on it and then go racing down a gravel road and expect top-notch performance? NO! Would you buy thousands of dollars worth of electronics for sub-par speakers and then run it in a room without treatments? Obviously you would. But, this is the same concept as running that Porsche down a crappy road with sub-par tires on it.

The moral is to spend the money where it counts.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
After he buys the Tekton, he might just stay away from AH & AVS to avoid seeing all the bashing. It might cause buyer's remorse. :D

Then he might sell everything and buy something else like Ascend, Salk, Phil, Revel, KEF, RBH, PSB, etc. :D

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I don't tink the OP has ever owned or used a receiver or modest speakers. To me he's trying to hit his first system out of the park when all that's happening is three big whiffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis