Capital AudiFest 2013 – July 26, 27, and 28

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
It's that time of year again for audiogeeks to gather and drool or condescend :D!

Capital Audiofest 2013

This year, it will be in a hotel in Silver Spring, MD, just outside of Washington, DC.

I will be there, probably on Saturday or Sunday. I promised to help Dennis Murphy haul and set up his display. He says he'll be showing the new Philharmonic Slim and the Philharmonic 3. Jim Salk will be there in an adjacent room, but I don't know what speakers he'll bring. Both Jim and Dennis will use electronic gear from Audio by Van Alstine to drive their speakers.

Philharmonic 3

As always, it would be fun to meet up with any AHer member while there. If you are really interested in shopping for speakers, this is an excellent way to see and hear many in one day. And if you aren't buying, it's always more fun to share observations and snarky wisecracks about all the audio gear you can't afford to buy :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Please take lots of pic's. That veneer is spectacular. Any pic with a piano in the back drop looks classy but day-um. :)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
That's Olive burl veneer. Day-um is right.

We will have to handle those carefully.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I always thought the shape of those speakers was kinda ho-hum looking, but with that Olive burl...I'll third that day-um. I may have just tinkled a bit. That's gorgeous.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Capital AudiFest 2013 – July 26, 27, and 28

I always thought the shape of those speakers was kinda ho-hum looking, but with that Olive burl...I'll third that day-um. I may have just tinkled a bit. That's gorgeous.
I definitely like them better with the angled front and the chamfered edges. I think the bass box shape compliments the veneer better than the old style would have.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I definitely like them better with the angled front and the chamfered edges. I think the bass box shape compliments the veneer better than the old style would have.
In Dennis' living room I noticed the difference between the angled and 90 degree bass boxes. It would have been difficult for me to spot that had they not been right beside each other but I agree that it looks nicer even if it does add to the difficulty of the build.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Well you know I'll be there, and it looks like Dennis is bringing some eye candy along for the ride. And yes, it'd be nice to meet some fellow AHers. On a related subject, who's bringing Twister?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Well you know I'll be there, and it looks like Dennis is bringing some eye candy along for the ride. And yes, it'd be nice to meet some fellow AHers. On a related subject, who's bringing Twister?
U sick bast@rds :)

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
And if you aren't buying, it's always more fun to share observations and snarky wisecracks about all the audio gear you can't afford to buy :rolleyes:.
I know I'm really excited that Art Dudley is going to be gracing us with his presence :D

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
~3 hours from me... We'll see. (I say that every year:eek:)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
~3 hours from me... We'll see. (I say that every year:eek:)
Its only 17 miles from the audio show hotel to the Dogfish Head Ale House.

Added note:
Jim Salk says he plans to bring SoundScape 10 and Veracity ST speakers. The newly named Veracity ST is an MTM tower that uses Seas W16 drivers. It is somewhat smaller than the HT2-TL that uses the larger W18 drivers. Both have the same RAAL ribbon tweeter.

As I said earlier, Dennis will have his speakers, Phil Slims and Phil 3s in the room next to Jim's.

Last edited:
Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I plan to come and can would like help you and Dennis with lifting if need be. Depends when.

J

jcunwired

Audioholic
I would love to be there to meet fellow enthusiasts and Philharmonic/Salk owners, finally get to meet Dennis, share in snarky comments and Dogfish Head consumption, but this is also the same weekend as Floydfest, the 4-day music festival on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's come down to Dennis or dancing hippie chicks. Tough choice.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I would love to be there to meet fellow enthusiasts and Philharmonic/Salk owners, finally get to meet Dennis, share in snarky comments and Dogfish Head consumption, but this is also the same weekend as Floydfest, the 4-day music festival on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's come down to Dennis or dancing hippie chicks. Tough choice.
A meeting of nerdy audiogeeks and the men who make an often poor living catering to their fetishes, or dancing hippie chicks. A genuinely tough choice :rolleyes:.

I recall seeing few if any females at all at past audio shows. Most of them were hotel staff and some very bored looking wives or girlfriends.

If Mary Salk comes with Jim, she would be a rare and welcome exception.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Bump. CAF is this weekend!

So who's showing up? :D

I'm aiming to be there Saturday morning/afternoon, but I'm pretty flexible this weekend if anyone wants to meet up.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I'm still trying to figure out if I can make it. I work Wed. & Thur. nights as well as all day Saturday with my 'extra' stuff, and so grabbing Friday evening, or more likely half the day on Sunday may prove to be very difficult. I really would like to check it out though.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'll be there late Thursday helping Dennis & Jim carry heavy stuff. I'll spend time at the show either Saturday or Sunday, but I haven't made up my mind yet which day.

Jim Salk is bringing SoundScape 8 (1st photo) and Veracity ST (2nd photo) speakers: Headed to Capital Audio Fest with these...

Dennis will have Philharmonic 3 (2nd from left), the new Phil Slims (3rd from left), and the Philharmonitors (4th from left)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Apparently, Frank Van Alstine will also be there representing his company, AVA. His gear will be powering both Salk and Philharmonic speakers. He supplied all the stuff in the cardboard boxes shown in the photo of the Philharmonic speakers.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=118485.0

Last edited:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Make sure to check out rooms 704 and 806 as well!!

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis