Outlaw Model 7125 Power Amplifier Preview

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
The Outlaw Model 7125 is a 7 channel power amplifier boasting 125W of output into an 8 ohm load, all channels driven (20Hz-20kHz, <0.05THD). Priced at $999, the Model 7125 is largely devoid of bells, whistles, and audio jewelry; in fact, aside from a single button/LED to view and control whether or not the amplifier is in standby mode, the front panel is entirely bare. In a world dominated by feature laden A/V receivers that ostensibly boast "a thousand watts of total system power", can Outlaw’s $1000 offering possibly offer anything of use? Read on to see my thoughts.

Executive Summary
The first thing someone relatively new to the world of audio should understand is that there is little comparison between most A/V receivers and a dedicated power amplifier such as the Model 7125. In the A/V receiver world, power is generally rated into one or two channels which a marketing department then spins into some outrageous figure. That’s not the case here. A quick peek under the hood of the Model 7125 yields a massive 1.6kVA transformer (and 20,000uF of capacitance per channel to boot), meaning that 125Wx7 isn’t some pipe dream thought up by marketers.

Of course, all channels driven into an 8 ohm load isn’t what truly separates an amplifier like the Model 7125 from a run of the mill receiver. The raison d'etre to make the move to a separate amplifier is performance into more difficult loads, and into a 4 ohm load, the Model 7125 can deliver a whopping 190W, again all channels driven (20Hz-20kHz, <0.05% THD). Quite frankly, there aren’t many AVRs with the cajones to deliver that kind of juice, regardless of price, let alone anywhere near the $1,000 mark. In fact, bench testing of the $1,100 Yamaha RX-A1010 suggests few midrange receivers can deliver that kind of 4 ohm performance with 2 channels driven (the Yamaha delivered 155W, full bandwidth, 0.1% THD).

So you get power, but what else does $1,000 get you? A quick glance at the front panel will tell you what you need to know: this is a simple power amplifier; there are no fancy VU meters, no intricate casework, no clip lights, etc. On the upside, build quality does appear to be top notch with a solid chassis, meaty binding posts, and unbalanced input jacks that don’t feel like they’ll rip out at the first tug. Of course given that the Model 7125 is built in the US by none other than ATI, the high standard of build quality isn’t a big surprise. Still, at the end of the day this is an amplifier that is meant to disappear into an equipment rack, not get shown off like a high dollar Classe.

Some Thoughts About Actual Ownership And Use
Those that follow my theater thread in the Pros and Joes section know I've got my hands on the Model 7125, so I can actually give some thoughts beyond a typical first glance. I will say that actually receiving and setting up the Outlaw was relatively painless. The Model 7125 came double boxed, and had further protection in the way of foam end caps. Being 51 pounds, it isn't exactly as simple as unboxing a DVD player, but it's not something the average guy should need a lot of help with either; if my recollection isn’t failing me, I don’t believe I uttered a single obscenity throughout the entire process. Connections were fairly straightforward; on the up side, the binding posts are fairly large and reasonably well spaced, and consequently the barrels of the locking banana plugs on my BJC speaker cables aren't anywhere close to shorting (this was a concern on my Onkyo receiver).

As far as actually using the Model 7125, it's a dead quiet amplifier in my system, which isn't a great surprise given the below average 28dB voltage gain and 119dB SNR (A weighted). In my listening thus far, there aren't any audible issues to report, i.e. hum, distortion, etc. However, I should note that this Outlaw does get fairly warm in use: for reference, it has 3.5" of breathing room on the top, the cabinet is reasonably well ventilated, and my speakers do spend some time around the 4 ohm mark in the audio band. While it doesn't get burning hot like my Onkyo receiver, it's not the icy operation of my Emotiva XPA-200 either. Consider yourself warned if you plan to stick it in a fully enclosed cabinet with no breathing room.

Summary
The Outlaw Model 7125 appears to deliver a heck of a lot of power for $999. While some might compare this with an entry level receiver that boasts about 1,000 total watts of system power, this amplifier actually has the robust power supply required to back up its claims. Of course, for just shy of $1,000, you're not getting anything that would qualify as a piece of art; what you do seem to get is a very powerful, well built, made in the good old U.S. of A. amplifier that can handle seven channels of practically anything you might throw at it. If you feel your A/V receiver is wheezing along to deliver the output you're looking for, this might just be the shot in the arm you're looking for.

So what do you guys think? Anybody (else) own one? Anybody interested in a full review from Gene?

Outlaw 7125 Front.jpgOutlaw 7125 Rear.jpg

For those interested in my photography skills (or lack thereof), I also snapped a few shots myself as seen here:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/pros-joes-systems-gallery/84268-steve81s-theater-5.html#post972557

Quick Specs
Power Output: 7 x 125 watts RMS at 8 ohms, all channels driven from 20 Hz to 20kHz with less than 0.05% THD
7 x 190 watts RMS at 4 ohms, all channels driven from 20 Hz to 20kHz with less than 0.05% THD
Signal to Noise: 119dB "A" weighted
Frequency Response: 20Hz. -20kHz. +/- 0.1 dB at rated output
Power Bandwidth: 5 Hz - >125kHz +0/-3 dB
Damping Factor: Greater than 400 from 10 Hz to 400 Hz
Crosstalk: Greater than -90 dB from 20 Hz to 20Khz
Gain: Voltage gain of 28 dB
Slew Rate: 50v/uSec
Input Impedance: Nominal 50k ohms
Input Sensitivity: 1.00 Volts for Full Rated Output
Remote Trigger Voltage: 3 - 32 Volts DC at 5 milliamperes or greater
Dimensions: (HxWxD): 5.9" with feet x 17.2" x 16.2"
Weight: 51 lbs
Power Requirements: 115VAC, +/- 3%, 50Hz - 60 Hz. 1440 watts, maximum

C

chas_w

Full Audioholic
Nice preview Steve. I have owned one in the past (as well as the smaller 7075) and was very happy with it. Loved the power and the compact size which made placement easy.

And I would love to see a full review from Gene :)

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
Interesting preview, I'm a current owner as well. I've been really impressed with it, lots of power and it really performs. I was eyeing the Emotiva UPA-7 when in the research stage but the smallish power supply for 7 x 125 watts(850 VA) turned me off and I wanted all channels driven power. I think it's the best 7 channel amp you'll find for 1000 bucks or less.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Interesting preview, I'm a current owner as well. I've been really impressed with it, lots of power and it really performs. I was eyeing the Emotiva UPA-7 when in the research stage but the smallish power supply for 7 x 125 watts(850 VA) turned me off and I wanted all channels driven power. I think it's the best 7 channel amp you'll find for 1000 bucks or less.
Outlaw makes some great amps- no question!
I've got a Model 770 Outlaw amp, and it's awesome to the tilt!:)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That's 228.57 kVA and 20,000 uf per channel if your numbers are right. Compared to the XPA-5's 240 kVA and 12,000 uf per channel, the Outlaw has more believable rated output of 125W vs the Emo's 200W.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Emotiva prices are cheaper for a reason. Between the two, I would choose Outlaw over Emotiva any day.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
That's 228.57 kVA and 20,000 uf per channel if your numbers are right.
FWIW, the numbers are pulled out of the Outlaw manual:

The Outlaw 7125 is a state of the art, high performance, audio power amplifier. It is built utilizing totally complementary circuitry from input to output. The high current power supply is driven by a custom-designed 1.6 KVA torrodial transformer with two separate windings for each of the seven channels. Each channel has 6 discrete output devices, 20,000 uF total filter capacitance and is protected by an advanced Opto-coupled protection circuit. Heat management is provided by custom-designed heatsinks on each amplifier module, enabling the amplifier to function at full power without the need for noisy fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
How does it make AC/DC sound? Inquiring minds want to know!

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
He can't discuss that. This is a PREview. :)
I don't mind discussing it, though my opinions of how an amplifier sounds playing AC/DC isn't something I'd recommend basing a buying decision on :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I wonder how they could make the Outlaw less expensive than the ATI?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is ATI strictly an internet based company or do they have a distribution system in place aka middle man? If so, that could be your answer.
Oh, yeah, that's right, ATI have dealers/ distributors. So Outlaw cuts the cost by removing the middle man. :D

Good thinking! :D

Thats makes Outlaw Audio one smart cookie. :)

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't mind discussing it, though my opinions of how an amplifier sounds playing AC/DC isn't something I'd recommend basing a buying decision on :D
I'll test one on Ozzy's new album to be released next year. If I can understand his singing when being played through the Outlaw, then its proof positive at how good the Outlaw is. :p I cannot for the life of me understand him when he's speaking. :D

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Oh, yeah, that's right, ATI have dealers/ distributors. So Outlaw cuts the cost by removing the middle man. :D

Good thinking! :D

Thats makes Outlaw Audio one smart cookie. :)
ATI and Outlaw Audio are twin sons of different mothers. The term was borrowed from a Dan folgelberg album.;)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
FWIW, the numbers are pulled out of the Outlaw manual:
Never doubted your numbers, but it was very early in the morning, like before 7 I think.:D

I bet if put on the HTM bench this thing will measure >170W 8 ohm and >300W 4 ohm 2 channel driven, very impressive for a 125W amp to have such a large transformer. If they were to comply with the NEC (CEC in Canada), and follow the 125% rule, it will need a 20A outlet. For a mere $999 I should have bought one of those instead of the MM8003 (600VAX2), even after paying for shipping I would have still come out ahead in terms of watts and money. Now I have to convince myself that the Marantz looks better.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I bet if put on the HTM bench this thing will measure >170W 8 ohm and >300W 4 ohm 2 channel driven
I'd reckon about 189 and 269 into 8 and 4 ohms respectively into 2 channels and 140/225 with all seven ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis