Emotiva steps up their speaker game with the Pro Stealth 6 and 8 Studio Monitors

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
What do you think about Emotiva's newest studio monitors? 2" thick baffles, AMT tweeters, active crossovers. At $1100/pr for the Stealth 6 and $1500/pr for the Stealth 8, they hit a new price point for Emotiva's entire speaker lineup.

Read the Emotiva Pro Stealth Studio Monitors Article.

N

nogaro

Full Audioholic
This is what I see when I click on the link:
The item you requested does not exist on this server or cannot be served.

Please double check the web address or use the search function on this page to find what you are looking for.

Cliff_is

Cliff_is

Audioholics Content Manager
This is what I see when I click on the link:
The item you requested does not exist on this server or cannot be served.

Please double check the web address or use the search function on this page to find what you are looking for.
Sorry, we had a weird issue publishing this article.

It's fixed now. Link is working. :)

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I use the Armotiv 4 Powered Speakers for my Desktop Computer and I have to say I have been really impressed by their sound quality...of course they replaced a Logitech 5.1 system so there was a lot of room for improvement :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Looks like Emotiva is taking on Adam directly. If so, they have their work cut out for them, because Adams sound great. But these look really beefy, 200 watts per each driver? Good lord. At 115 dB at 1 m in half space, these could easily be used as home theater speakers. Maybe that's not enough for full THX Reference level in an average room, but it ought to get close. I don't doubt they sound great either, those charts look pretty good. I'd love to hear what a pair of these could do.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Looks like Emotiva is taking on Adam directly. If so, they have their work cut out for them, because Adams sound great.
Yup, that's what I was thinking.

At this price range, I think I would take the Adams. Also, the Adams are front-ported so that gives a little more placement options.

I think the Airmotivs are the sweet-spot price range for Emotiva. At those prices, I'm torn between the Airmotives and the JBL LSrs. At the higher prices of the stealths, I think I would just put my $ on the Adams.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The side of the ports aren't really going to affect the sound that much. The ports produce the lower end of the speaker's tuning, the part of bass considered omnidirectional, so the only way you could screw that up with placement is by blocking the port. The Adams have a flat baffle anyway, which may be worse for the off-axis response. Anyway, at this price point, I would definitely give the Emotiva a try, those Stealth 8s particularly look like beasts. The corresponding Adam with 8" woofer is $1k per speaker, and this is only $750 and has more power on tap.

A

AVTguy

Audioholic Intern
Big sound!!!

Just got a chance to here these at the Emotiva Room at T.H.E Show in Newport Beach yesterday.

I was paying way more attention to the B&W speakers they were powering with the XSP-1, the new ERC-3 CD player, and four XPA-1L amps, but when the Emotiva Demonstrator turned on the Stealth 8 system, everyone in the room turned heads and went, "Woah!" They were very nice. I wish I had better information as to their sound characteristics, but I can only say that they were impressive to say the least. And they sounded VERY BIG.

J

jcunwired

Audioholic
Looks like Emotiva is taking on Adam directly. If so, they have their work cut out for them, because Adams sound great. But these look really beefy, 200 watts per each driver? Good lord. At 115 dB at 1 m in half space, these could easily be used as home theater speakers. Maybe that's not enough for full THX Reference level in an average room, but it ought to get close. I don't doubt they sound great either, those charts look pretty good. I'd love to hear what a pair of these could do.
They seem to be taking on quite a few well-established companies in a very competitive field, and at a price point that would almost guarantee prospective buyers to go with the more established brand.

But yeah, even though Emotiva in general doesn't interest me I wouldn't mind hearing them either.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I was just talking with a friend. I respect his opinions, and he mentioned that he likes the bang for the buck of Event monitors. Anybody ever heard these? I see that a few of my favorite DJs / Producers are on there list of clients.

monkuboy

monkuboy

Audiophyte
Just got a chance to here these at the Emotiva Room at T.H.E Show in Newport Beach yesterday.

I was paying way more attention to the B&W speakers they were powering with the XSP-1, the new ERC-3 CD player, and four XPA-1L amps, but when the Emotiva Demonstrator turned on the Stealth 8 system, everyone in the room turned heads and went, "Woah!" They were very nice. I wish I had better information as to their sound characteristics, but I can only say that they were impressive to say the least. And they sounded VERY BIG.
I recently purchased three of the Stealth 8's for my L/C/R and a pair of the Airmotiv 5's for surrounds. I'm very happy with the setup. I was at the Show in Newport Beach (it's actually Irvine) yesterday and honestly, the Stealths were superior to the $7,500 B&W's that Emo had set up in the stereo room. I realize the hotel rooms were not the optimum listening environment but the Stealths compared favorably (as in just as good if not better) than the other bookshelf speakers I heard that cost a lot more - like $6K-$8K a pair. Plus they include the amps. That said, I've never heard Adams monitors so I can't make a comparison to them but based on what I heard at the Show yesterday, the Stealths hold their own against way more expensive brands.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai

Don't want to get off topic, but did they have any updates on the XMC-1 Pre/Pro at the show. I was at the Naperville IL Show where they had no real updates?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The side of the ports aren't really going to affect the sound that much. The ports produce the lower end of the speaker's tuning, the part of bass considered omnidirectional, so the only way you could screw that up with placement is by blocking the port. The Adams have a flat baffle anyway, which may be worse for the off-axis response. Anyway, at this price point, I would definitely give the Emotiva a try, those Stealth 8s particularly look like beasts. The corresponding Adam with 8" woofer is $1k per speaker, and this is only $750 and has more power on tap.
What I was getting at is that I would probably take the step-down Adams at the same price. Of course it's hard to say without hearing the Stealths.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What does off axis matter since these seem to be indicating they are intended for near-field? Not that they couldn't be used in a HT configuration, just saying that's what the article said.

S

SonusAddictus

Audiophyte
I'm currently out for a pair of studio monitors (and a subwoofer if needed) for my living room, wanting to take advantage of the sonic improvements of active bi-amping. I don't mind sitting a little closer to the speakers but I would also like to sit at a 10-12ft distance from them as well. Is this possible with studio monitors?

Is anyone familiar with the Emos as to compare them to the Genelec 8040B/8050Bs or the PSI Audio A215-M? Any other possible recommendations? (Looking to spend up to $3.500)

Thanks for any advice.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
What does off axis matter since these seem to be indicating they are intended for near-field? Not that they couldn't be used in a HT configuration, just saying that's what the article said.
Unless you are listening in an anechoic chamber, off axis response matters, even for near-field. You are going to be hearing reflections no matter what. Besides that, those 8"s would be pretty overkill for near-field listening, ie 1 meter or less. With that kind of power, they ought to be able to do mid field monitoring as well, 3 to 4 m.

eugene2

Audiophyte
Emotiva Stealth 8

Warning very powerful and deep bass. I am using them for home theater, they are fun have not even hooked up my velodyne digital sub yet.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
So why doesn't emotiva use the Air Motion Transformer in any of their floorstanding speakers, but only these studio monitors... I'm shure these tweeters easily outperforms any of the dome tweeters they employ in other models, of course price is different too, but this must be a good potential upgrade

N

nogaro

Full Audioholic
I believe they have a new line of speakers upcoming that will use these tweeters.

P

pete1

Audiophyte
Audioholics' Stealth 6 and 8 Review

This "review" is absolutely useless. How do the speakers sound?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis