Yamaha announces new RX-A1030, RX-A2030 and RX-A3030 Receivers

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm looking forward to some detailed reviews of these models.

Stanton

Stanton

Audioholics Contributing Writer
Dual Center Channels

Whether you agree with this configuration or not, I'd like to know if this series will SUPPORT dual center channel configurations. Way back, top of the line Yamaha receivers DID support this (I have one of them and use dual centers to this day). For that matter, does ANY Aventage series amp (xx20, xx10) series support dual centers?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Whether you agree with this configuration or not, I'd like to know if this series will SUPPORT dual center channel configurations. Way back, top of the line Yamaha receivers DID support this (I have one of them and use dual centers to this day). For that matter, does ANY Aventage series amp (xx20, xx10) series support dual centers?
Looks to me like none of them support dual centers with their internal amps, but you could do it with an external amp.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Yamaha comes out with new receiver models like clock work (every year) What makes these better then 1010 or 1020??

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Yamaha comes out with new receiver models like clock work (every year) What makes these better then 1010 or 1020??
Right off the bat I see that they have 2 HDMI outputs that can be assigned to different zones.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Stanton, if I remember correctly, the dual center feature was nothing more than a parallel connection to a common amp. It wasn't independently configurable. It's really NOT a good idea to employ 2 centers. Almost nobody does this for good reason. Comb filtering, especially off axis will reduce dialogue intelligibility. You're better off with one better center channel, than using dual center channels.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Guys I updated Tom's preview article with some feedback I received from Yamaha. In the update is also the type of DAC's each receiver has. Stuff should be a bit more clear now since their website had some conflicting info.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Right off the bat I see that they have 2 HDMI outputs that can be assigned to different zones.
OK, I did see that. I guess somebody will find that useful. Not me though.

F

FilmMixer

Enthusiast
DAC's

Gene.. in all my research on these unit I cannot confirm your statement:
In one place, the RX-A3030 is listed as having Burr-Brown DACs while all the others list ESS (in fact, the previous RX-A3020 has ESS as well)
According to their website the RX-A3020 does indeed have Burr Brown DAC's. Can you provide some more clarification on this.. If so, I'd be much more tempted to pick up a 3020 over the 3030 due to the loss of HQV processing... In addition, can you get some more information on what exactly the new "Original" in house video solution is? Regarding the confusion on the US website, the product videos for each model clearly state the use of not only the ESS DAC's, but the differences in implementation between each one (the 1030 and 2030 use the 9006 for all channels, the 3030 uses 9016 for the main's, the 9006's for the presence channels.) While the 9016 is not the highest end ESS DAC available, it was previously used on the Oppo 83SE, which was widely praised for it's analog performance... it's a shame Yamaha didn't integrate the newest ESS premium model. Also, any confirmation about the US availability of the announced Pre-Amp/Amp combo announced for the EU (CX-A5000/MX-A5000)

Last edited:
I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
Gene.. in all my research on these unit I cannot confirm your statement: According to their website the RX-A3020 does indeed have Burr Brown DAC's. Can you provide some more clarification on this.. If so, I'd be much more tempted to pick up a 3020 over the 3030 due to the loss of HQV processing... In addition, can you get some more information on what exactly the new "Original" in house video solution is? Regarding the confusion on the US website, the product videos for each model clearly state the use of not only the ESS DAC's, but the differences in implementation between each one (the 1030 and 2030 use the 9006 for all channels, the 3030 uses 9016 for the main's, the 9006's for the presence channels.) While the 9016 is not the highest end ESS DAC available, it was previously used on the Oppo 83SE, which was widely praised for it's analog performance... it's a shame Yamaha didn't integrate the newest ESS premium model. Also, any confirmation about the US availability of the announced Pre-Amp/Amp combo announced for the EU (CX-A5000/MX-A5000)
Receiver manufacturers try to cut costs everywhere they can, even on flagship models. Denon and Yamaha back when they were selling $6000 receivers both decided go for cheaper $14.5 PCM1796 (123db SNR) than the more expensive $23 PCM1792 (132db SNR). I'm even surprised that Yamaha would go so far in a "mere" $2200 receiver to go up and get a quality ESS DAC, even if its only their 2nd best one.

F

FilmMixer

Enthusiast
Receiver manufacturers try to cut costs everywhere they can, even on flagship models. Denon and Yamaha back when they were selling $6000 receivers both decided go for cheaper $14.5 PCM1796 (123db SNR) than the more expensive $23 PCM1792 (132db SNR). I'm even surprised that Yamaha would go so far in a "mere" $2200 receiver to go up and get a quality ESS DAC, even if its only their 2nd best one.
I agree, and understand the economies of scale... I'm sure it's why they also dropped HQV and Sirius from these models... :)

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
I have wanted to buy a newer model A3xxx series that will go online but my RX-V1900 is working like new. I looked at the RX-V3900 back then I noticed that a lot of AVR that had the on line feature seemed to have more HDMI connecting issues and you had to install firmware updates etc so I passed on it. I hope by now the newer AVR's won't have these issues. Time to read up on the new A series.

P

Passat

Audiophyte
I'm sure it's why they also dropped HQV and Sirius from these models... :)
No, every manufacturer dropped HQV because IDT has canceled the HQV:
The first notice is from january, 2012!
http://www.idt.com/document/pdn/product-discontinuance-notice-vhd1900evg

The second is from july, 2012:
http://www.idt.com/document/pdn/pdn-v-12-03-product-discontinuance-notice-selective-devices

regarding the DACs:
the pre-amp CX-A5000 uses the 9016 for all channels incl. the presence.
Here is the new product bulletin:
http://assets2.listeningpost.co.nz/assets/CXAMXA5000-NPB.pdf

Yamaha uses the ESS9018 in the new CD/SACD-Player CD-S3000.

Stanton

Stanton

Audioholics Contributing Writer
That's a shame; IMHO, that would make the xx20 series more attractive than the xx30 series.
IDT did something similar a few years ago with the HQV chips in some Blu-Ray players (like my Samsung 2550), which tended to increase their demand (and resale value--at least temporarily).

F

FilmMixer

Enthusiast

http://www.idt.com/document/pdn/pdn-v-12-03-product-discontinuance-notice-selective-devices

regarding the DACs:

Thanks for the information... I hope that we will see the CX-A5000 in the US.... Also, it appears as if they have added Sirius back in via a new FW update recently posted...

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

regarding the DACs:

I just checked out the specs of those DACs. They have slightly better DR and THD+N than the flagship Marantz prepro and Denon AVR-4520. So nothing beat the flagship Denon AVP, yet.. Regardless, I know that wouldn't matter to me because I can't even tell the difference between the DAC in my Denon 3910, AV8801 and the Oppo 105, but I still have to wonder why Yamaha and Marantz won't spend just a couple dollars more, put the best BB/TI or ESS DACs in and be done with it. They don't sell that many flagship model anyway and no one is going to complain about paying $10 more (factoring in the profit margin). Again, those DACs are still far beyond what matters to us human in practical term.

Dropping the HQV may be a bad thing to those who needs that feature, but overall I always thought probably for most people there isn't much point introducing such a mostly redundant, ineffective and extra heat producing element in an already jam packed 11.2 prepro box. I wish there are alternate models, one would be fitted with a lower cost VP to handle basic upconversion only, so all of us won't be forced to pay for the high end upscaling feature at least 3 times, i.e. in the medium player, AVR and the TV. The only time I felt the need for upscaling is when I used my SVHS player, but upscaling such poor quality to begin with yields nothing really, nothing but satisfying my curiosity. So I am not sure if that is a need afterall.

M

Matteo

Audiophyte
Hello
Anyone has the Yamaha service DVD that reports electronics scheme of RX-A3020 and RX-A3030 (sold only in USA for 17$)
So, I/we may study it and understand the improvements (I have RX3020). Thanks in advance

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis