First Official Denon AVR-X4000 Receiver Review is Live!

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Denon's new batch of receivers is out, and we've got the first review of the AVR-X4000! The link to the full review is below, but, in short, it's pretty awesome. We think it's worth the extra cash over the AVR-X3000, and represents a great balance between features and quality.

Read our Denon AVR-X4000 Receiver Review

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
Great, thanks for reviewing this model, it seems like a new benchmark from Denon.

D Bone

D Bone

Audioholic Intern
Wow, nice review! I would love to see you review the lower end Denon X1000, as I bet it becomes a very popular receiver among those who don't want to drop over $500 for a receiver. :cool:

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I didn't realize Onkyo did not include Sub EQ HT with all their XT32 equipped AVRs. Denon certain does so far, from the first 4311, then 4520 to 4000. Looks like the 4000 is going to sell well and I wonder how they are going to clear out the 3313 now.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I didn't realize Onkyo did not include Sub EQ HT with all their XT32 equipped AVRs. Denon certain does so far, from the first 4311, then 4520 to 4000. Looks like the 4000 is going to sell well and I wonder how they are going to clear out the 3313 now.
Pretty much every Denon reseller had heavily discounted new old stock of the 3313 and below. They 3313ci can be had at amazon, crutchfield, etc for $799.00. I am seriously debating canceling my 30.5 Integra and picking put the Denon at this price. The Integra 30.5 has Sub EQ HT, but does not have XT or XT32

For a list of AVRs / Pre-Pro's with Sub EQ

http://www.audyssey.com/products?tid[]=100&pid=All&ptype=All

Last edited:
surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
It looks like the 4520 on the front face. It's appears to be a real nice AVR.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So can the X4000 support an 11.2 system (since it has an 11.2 pre-out) ?

No measurements section?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

No measurements section?
I gave you the answer (9 only not 11, the extra 2 are only there for convenience) more than once, but of course you shouldn't belive me since I have been wrong before.:D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That list doesn't have the X4000, so it might be missing some other recent products with Sub EQ.
I think that Sub EQ feature is not that great and unless I am missing something, it can only EQ two subs. To me a better feature would be to have a sub out for each channel so they will be discrete. When that feature becomes available, I will be ready to upgrade again.:D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Cliff, nice review. I'm glad that you called them on the power rating in their marketing. I just got an AVR-E400 which touts pretty strongly on the front box that it has "Big Power, Better Sound, 185 Watts." On the box, it trounces the Onkyo TX-NR626's market number by 70W...but the 20-20kHz rating is 90W, 5W less than the same rating on the Onkyo.

You take very nice photos. Your picture of the caps made me look inside mine...through the slits in the lid, that is. :D My Denon only has 10000uF caps...but they still look nice. :)

...and unless I am missing something, it can only EQ two subs.
But...but...I only have two subs. :eek: :D

Cliff_is

Cliff_is

Audioholics Content Manager

No measurements section?
You can hook up an 11.2 system, but it can only support 9 channels at a time. It will automatically switch what speakers are used based off of DSP.

No measurements, that's mostly Gene's department....and I'm 1200 miles away in Kansas.

Maybe someday

C

cembros

Audiophyte
I think I'm going to pick one of these up. The switching issue while is standby concerns me though, I hope it can be fixed with a firmware update. Does anyone know if I can connect some sort of wifi hub to the receiver for Internet access?

Cliff_is

Cliff_is

Cliff_is

Cliff_is

Cliff, nice review. I'm glad that you called them on the power rating in their marketing. I just got an AVR-E400 which touts pretty strongly on the front box that it has "Big Power, Better Sound, 185 Watts." On the box, it trounces the Onkyo TX-NR626's market number by 70W...but the 20-20kHz rating is 90W, 5W less than the same rating on the Onkyo.

You take very nice photos. Your picture of the caps made me look inside mine...through the slits in the lid, that is. :D My Denon only has 10000uF caps...but they still look nice. :)

But...but...I only have two subs. :eek: :D

I hate that solid companies, like Denon/Yamaha/Onkyo have to play the wattage game.

Thanks for the compliment on the photos, I am trying to continually improve. My biggest problem is that I don't have proper lighting (and I am only a novice), so I have to try to compensate afterwards. GIMP Shop is what I use, it's a great alternative to Photoshop.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Yep, that would work. Just realize that you need a base station (that connects to your modem and sends out the wireless signal) and a wireless access point (that gets the wireless signal and has an ethernet jack for the Denon to connect to). The AirPort Express can be used as either one just in case you don't already have a wireless network set up in your house. Other brands can be cheaper if you just want an access point. You can also get wireless access points with built in switches (so that they have multiple ethernet jacks). I have a Belkin unit that works great.

C

cembros

Audiophyte
Yep, that would work. Just realize that you need a base station (that connects to your modem and sends out the wireless signal) and a wireless access point (that gets the wireless signal and has an ethernet jack for the Denon to connect to). The AirPort Express can be used as either one just in case you don't already have a wireless network set up in your house. Other brands can be cheaper if you just want an access point. You can also get wireless access points with built in switches (so that they have multiple ethernet jacks). I have a Belkin unit that works great.
Ya, I use that airport express, that's why I was asking about apple specifically. Thanks for the confirmation.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
FRYS.com | Cisco

I have one of these running my Pre/Pro, Blu Ray, and Garage Door opener. Had it for over a year now and have not had to reboot it once, works like a champ.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You can hook up an 11.2 system, but it can only support 9 channels at a time. It will automatically switch what speakers are used based off of DSP.
Did you actually hook up all 11 speakers + 2 subs, or are you just going off what Denon says?

Their manuals suck. It shows ALL ELEVEN SPEAKERS hooked up at the same time on the diagram.

It's not a deal breaker for most people (I only do 5.2), but it's just funny (makes no sense to me) how they would put pre-outs for 11.2, but make it's only capable of outputting only 9.2. There is no content beyond 7.1 anyway, so 9.2 and 11.2 are understandably all matrix.

I guess the Denon 4311 can do 11.2 (among other things), and if I were buying now, I would probably get the 4311 for ~ $1225 delivered. I wonder what most people would do?

Well, actually, I would probably just try to find a 3312/3313 new or open box (not refurbished) for about $600. :D

Heck, Amazon will probably sell the 3313 for $550 clearance soon. :D

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis