C

chucksrt

Audioholic
I am trying to wire my home for A/V because i have a bunch of walls down so running cables now would be much easier. I am trying to find cables that are best for longer runs (40-75ft). I keep seeing ratings that the cable should be 10.3 or higher speed rating and CL2 for in wall and rated category 2 also? I can't seem to find these ratings on any of the sites I have visited other than the CL2 ,"blue geans and monoprice" being the main ones I have looked at. I have come across a couple of fiber optic HDMI cables from Rainbowfish and celerity which sound like they would be best but I can't seem to find any ratings other than them saying they are the best? I am trying to mount my equipment in a centralized location and run wires from there to keep things clean but I can not find any good info on what cables are best for me? Any good recommendations or places to avoid? thanks, Chuck

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I use the monoprice HDMI with redmere for a long run and it works great. If you have a long run to do any HDMI with redmere should be good to go.

C

chucksrt

Audioholic
The problem with both sites mentioned is that they don't have hdmi cables that meet the requirements of what is said to look for. Most of the info I have found says that the cables should be rated at a 10.3a or higher speed but blue jeans only has cables rated to 10.2 speed and monoprice doesn't specify a rating? I just want to get something that meets current high standards and/or exceeds them. Anyone have info on fiber optic hdmi cables?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. The RedMere cables that I looked at today at Monoprice state that they will transfer 10.2Gbps at a range of up to 60 feet. I don't know anything about a 10.3 rating, but I wanted to let you know that the Monoprice cables are rated.

C

chucksrt

Audioholic
I found 10.2 rated cables but can not seem to find 10.3 on either site. I have read on a couple of testing sites that say 10.3 or greater is what to look for. I don't know what the difference is or if it is even noticeable but I would like to get it right. The fiber optic cables look/sound like they are the fastest/cleanest way to transfer data via hdmi but they do not list much when it comes to ratings either.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I found 10.2 rated cables but can not seem to find 10.3 on either site. I have read on a couple of testing sites that say 10.3 or greater is what to look for. I don't know what the difference is or if it is even noticeable but I would like to get it right. The fiber optic cables look/sound like they are the fastest/cleanest way to transfer data via hdmi but they do not list much when it comes to ratings either.
Did you click on the link and read what BJC has to say on the matter? Doesn't sound like it.

C

chucksrt

Audioholic
I was more confused after reading it than I was before. It down played the rating system. I guess I just don't get it.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Basically what the article says is that 10.3 Gbps is only real if it the cable has been I depends toy tested and found to be so, but what companies do is sum the color channels to get the 10.3 rating.

Furthermore, deep color and true 1080x1920 only requires 2.97 Gbps. Any category 2 HDMI cable is capable of 3.4.

If you plan in doing 3D or 4K things might be different as those will require a bit more speed, but simply contacting BJC and asking them will answer that question.

C

chucksrt

Audioholic
Thank you for your help! I was getting lost in all of the lingo. I do want to be able to be 3D/4K ready so speed is important. I will give them a call to see if they have something capable. I am just a worry wort and don't want to get something that is obsolete when I get it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thank you for your help! I was getting lost in all of the lingo. I do want to be able to be 3D/4K ready so speed is important. I will give them a call to see if they have something capable. I am just a worry wort and don't want to get something that is obsolete when I get it.
Your problem is that you are trying to future proof and that is impossible y cable selection alone. We can't even guess what the requirements will be 2 years down the road, let alone 10.

The issue you really need to understand is that you need to run your cables in conduit, so you can change them as technology develops and changes, which it will and fast.

So you need to be able to pull cable through conduit without pulling your house apart. This is the crucial piece you need to understand.

For now install the best cables for your current needs. Worry about the future at the right time.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The issue you really need to understand is that you need to run your cables in conduit, so you can change them as technology develops and changes, which it will and fast.
That's great advice.

A

avengineer

Banned
I use this, the 1 1/2" or 2" version:
Carlon Sales | Structured Cable Managment Systems

If you can't do that, or can't do just a PVC conduit, I'd pull in a few runs of Cat6. You can do 10.2, HDMI 1.4a over a single Cat5e now, or if you don't want to spend that much on the extender, units that use 2 Cat5e runs for 1080p work well. That's now. In the future, having two or 3 runs of Cat6 in the wall should be sufficient.

Atlona this now: Atlona Technologies connectivity solutions, cables, splitters, extenders, distribution amplifiers, converters, switchers for commercial, professional and industrial applications
Check the specs, look at the receiver and transmitter too.

Optical solutions are still overkill, expensive, and with limited hardware options. Unless you need to do 1080p to 1600ft.

Cat5 or Cat6 is cheap, CL2 rated. Run it everywhere, you can't miss.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis