Subwoofer for my theater room dimensions and price ($400-$700)

David Zamora

David Zamora

Enthusiast
Hey all,

Just subscribed here to gain some help from the experts...you! I built out my home theater room about close to 2 years ago, and I spend quite some time piecing every component to fit my needs and listening/viewing preferences. I'm still improving it here and there to get the absolute best sound quality I can get, and have found that while my sub is ok, it's not as accurate and dynamic as I'd prefer.
I would like to have the most accurate and ranged sub that I can get for less than $700. My room is not that large for a theater room, but I have acoustic panels set up and I try to keep it as minimal as possible to gain better acoustical performance. Also, the smaller the better. I've heard DT's subs in-store, and while they sound great, they couldn't keep up with their larger counterparts...so, if I must make due with a larger sub, I'd like to keep it as 'small' as possible.

Here is a diagram I made of my theater room to give you a better idea of size and current placement. A little off-topic, I bought a couple of inexpensive Fluance bipolars for my rears and they have completely transformed my home theater experience...blu-ray concerts (I'm a concert junkie) sound so much more realistic to my ear now! LOVE IT~!

Anyways, any help you can give me would be most appreciated!
*The red panels in the diagram are acoustic panels from ATS Acoustics.

theaterroomspeakerandp.png

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
The first thought that springs to my mind is the Power Sound Audio XS15: B-stock comes in at $711.55; regularly $750, shipped. A hair over your budget obviously, but the smallish (relatively speaking) sealed alignment should work well in your sized room (I'm assuming that it can be closed off, and you don't have 20 foot ceilings or anything).

J

Jonny Rotten

Junior Audioholic
My Outlaw lfm 1 ex is coming today.I got a b stock for $579 shipped.$750 shipped regular price.As of Friday they had one b stock left.Seems to be highly rated. If I ordered it Thursday it would have been at my door Friday,not to shabby for free shipping

Edit:While typing the doorbell rang.Its here WOOHOO

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The first thought that springs to my mind is the Power Sound Audio XS15: B-stock comes in at $711.55; regularly $750, shipped. A hair over your budget obviously, but the smallish (relatively speaking) sealed alignment should work well in your sized room (I'm assuming that it can be closed off, and you don't have 20 foot ceilings or anything).
This is what I'd go with also.

David Zamora

David Zamora

Enthusiast
Perfect, guys! Thanks so much for the recommendations! I'll look them over and do some reading. I'll update when I make a decision and review :)

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
+1 I haven't heard this new model, but haven't heard a Rythmik sub that disappoints.
An LV12R is sitting right next to me as I type this, and will be my next published review actually (note: the link associated to the word "review" was automatically added by Audioholics, and wasn't something I did). The abridged version is that Brian Ding has done a remarkable job. I suspect most people will like what this subwoofer is capable of.

David Zamora

David Zamora

Enthusiast
Well, after some checking in to the PSA website over the past week or so waiting for a 'b' stock to pop up, I saw one this morning for $711, which is a stretch for me on budget, but, after reading a few reviews, I'm sure it will be the dream sub that shouldn't need upgrading as long as I live in my home (I don't think my little theater room would be able to handle anything larger). I just purchased it now and I can't wait to set it up when it arrives. My 50 watt RMA Polk sub was OK at best. I never really felt that I was ever hitting the full bass spectrum. There were always 'holes' in certain sequences of action films that seemed to have a frequency that the Polk simply couldn't hit properly. Either way, I'm sure I'll be pleasantly surprised with the XS15. Now, I'll just sit tight and count the days until it's delivered to my porch.

Thank God the CC I used is interest free for another year, ha!

Thanks again everyone for your input!

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Congrats on your purchase. I'm sure you'll be very happy with it :) It should be worlds better than that Polk you were using.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
CEA Standard 2 Meters SPL @ 20/32/40/50/63 Hz:
Outlaw LFM-1EX: 101.0/110.7/112.3/113.7/113.8
Power Sound XV15: 102.7/109.6/113.7/116.6/114.7
Epik Empire: 102.2/109.7/113.2/116.4/119.2
JL Audio F112: 92.8/112.4/116.2/113.3/117.6
Funk FW12X: 107.0/112.4/114.0/113.9/113.1
SVS PB12+: 107.0/111.5/114.3/115.3/115.3
Paradigm Sig Sub2: 106.4/109.9/113.2/116.9/120.2
Hsu VTF-15H: 103.9/113.0/115.7/115.7/115.6
Velodyne DD18+: 103.4/113.0/115.8/116.8/115.3
SVS PB13 Ultra: 110.6/113.5/115.5/117.5/117.8
$700 Chase HT VS18.1: 111.1/ 116.0/118.1/117.8/117.2
Rythmik FV15HP: 108.1/117.0/119.5/119.1/118.8

If you have a great spare amp, like a $300 Crown XLS1000, I think the Chase VS18.1 passive sub is a good option.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
or somewhere to keep the 'always complaining' neighbor :eek:

H

hemingray

Enthusiast
An LV12R is sitting right next to me as I type this, and will be my next published review actually (note: the link associated to the word "review" was automatically added by Audioholics, and wasn't something I did). The abridged version is that Brian Ding has done a remarkable job. I suspect most people will like what this subwoofer is capable of.
Thanks for the review Jman, it pushed me over the edge and an LV-12R is on the way to me now. Whether I liked the sub or not, it was a superb review. But in my case - it worked! :)

David Zamora

David Zamora

Enthusiast
I wasn't able to find the LV-12R review. Is there a link to it?

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for the review Jman, it pushed me over the edge and an LV-12R is on the way to me now. Whether I liked the sub or not, it was a superb review. But in my case - it worked! :)
I'm glad the review was helpful. After you've gotten it broken in and tuned be sure to come back and post your impressions.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis