Emotiva XPR-1 1kwatt Mono Amplifier Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Emotiva XPR-1 1kwatt monoblock power amp is the most powerful amplifier we've reviewed to date. It's so powerful that we had to upgrade our test load just to run power sweeps. Feed this baby a dedicated 20A line, and there won't be a speaker on the planet that will be power hungry. But how does all of this sheer power translate to sound quality? Can the XPR-1 earn audiophile status? You will have to read our review to find out.

Do you dream of owning Monoblock Amplifiers but always thought they were out of financial reach?

Think again and read our Emotiva XPR-1 Amplifier Review with comprehensive Power measurements

If you own these amps or other monoblocks, please share your experiences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I can't access anything except the first page of the review without an error.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
That's an awesome amp! If I had the speakers and room - they'd be in my dedicated stereo room. I'd probably use them with the Emotiva XSP-1. I'd probably go with massive electro static speakers. Anyway, nice amps and review. Now back to reality for me- LOL.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Nice review. What I liked the best about the review was how excited Gene seemed about the amp. Pretty awesome.

J

JonnyFive23517

Audioholic
Great review! Not sure my floor could handle these bad boys though!! :)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Small typo, well more of a redundancy than a typo.

...10,000uF caps are only rated at only 50V but...

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
Quite an achievement, yet I can't help wonder who could use such an amp in their system. I sure don't need that kind of power, 1000 watts is overkill in 99.9% of all systems.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Quite an achievement, yet I can't help wonder who could use such an amp in their system. I sure don't need that kind of power, 1000 watts is overkill in 99.9% of all systems.
I could and I am :)

N

NMEU

Audiophyte
I have the XPR-5 and every time i turn it on i get sick to my stomach. There is terrible buzzing from all speakers and this is audible from my listening position. I don't know if this is indicative to such a powerful amp or you get what you pay for. I tried different speakers same thing. I have Blue Jeans cables and their 10AWG speaker wire. I actually sent the first amp i got back because of this but the new one has the same problem. I could send it back for a refund but I don't want to go through the hassle again. Emotiva's customer support is second to none in this regard but I am curious if anyone else has this problem or maybe i got a second faulty amp.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I have the XPR-5 and every time i turn it on i get sick to my stomach. There is terrible buzzing from all speakers and this is audible from my listening position. I don't know if this is indicative to such a powerful amp or you get what you pay for. I tried different speakers same thing. I have Blue Jeans cables and their 10AWG speaker wire. I actually sent the first amp i got back because of this but the new one has the same problem. I could send it back for a refund but I don't want to go through the hassle again. Emotiva's customer support is second to none in this regard but I am curious if anyone else has this problem or maybe i got a second faulty amp.
disconnect all inputs to the amp and just connect power and speakers. If the buzz is gone, then you have a groundloop you must address.

This article should help you troubleshoot further: Ground Loops - Eliminating System Hum and Buzz | Audioholics

A

AVP8000

Audiophyte
You really don't "have to have" a 20 amp circuit...

I have 2 XPR-1's, a XPR-5, a SVS PB12 Plus, Processor, Blue ray player 65" plasma and a few other things all on one 15 amp circuit and even at deafening levels - no issues at all. Unless you doing full sweep sine waves there is really no need IMHO..

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I have 2 XPR-1's, a XPR-5, a SVS PB12 Plus, Processor, Blue ray player 65" plasma and a few other things all on one 15 amp circuit and even at deafening levels - no issues at all. Unless you doing full sweep sine waves there is really no need IMHO..
It will work but for liability, EMO recommends a 20A line since that is how it was certified through safety and regulatory. And yes, unless you are running full duty via test tones, you probably won't trip the breakers, though try playing Jienat Mira Blu-ray with your speakers set for fullrange and you just may :)

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
Great review.

So does this amp satisfy your search for the cleanest first watt?

Will it be in the amp shootout?

- Rich

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Great review.

So does this amp satisfy your search for the cleanest first watt?

Will it be in the amp shootout?

- Rich
Rich, yes this is definitely a clean amp at low power. I want to do an amp shootout but the company that makes the device I really want to make this a reality only has 2 prototypes; one of which they have in constant usage and the other Salk uses.

BTW, I just added the following test and commentary to my review per request:

Before getting into all of the power tests, I did a quick check to see how green friendly the XPR-1 amp was. I measured roughly 50 watts idle power consumption which is very low for an amplifier of this power capability. Even with almost 10 watts of pure class A bias, this amp is efficient!

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
Wow, that is excellent.

Does the XPR-5 have a high class-A bias?

- Rich

J

JonnyFive23517

Audioholic
Would you go with the XPA-1 over the XPR-1 if you didn't need the extra power? Is the SQ different between the two when not driven to distortion?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Wow, that is excellent.

Does the XPR-5 have a high class-A bias?

- Rich
I'm not sure but I'd imagine the design is very similar. It would be clearer if the idle power was listed but you can ask Emotiva.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis