Smart Phone Choice!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, I need some help with choosing the right smart phone. Have been looking at the iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S III, Nexus 4, and the Blackberry Z10. I am new to all of this as I am merely behind the times. As a result, I really do NOT know which phone is better. So, I decided to see if any of you could be of assistance. Feel free to chime in.

One thing I need is good battery life. Plan to do all of the basics-text, make calls, listen to music, stream both music and movies into my TV, use Pandora, load music, take pictures, and etc. I am NOT a video gamer so need for any of that. However, I do like to keep up with sports, news, weather, and etc. I also like the Siri feature on the iPhone 4S/5.

Navigation would be quite helpful. My TV is NOT a smart TV, but I can stream movies/TV shows into it via my Sony 590 BR player. Might even use Pandora to do some easy listening while on my computer. A good camera is a MUST. Don't need DSLR quality pictures. Good memory is also a MUST. Not sure if 16 Gig is enough or would I really need more???? As you can see, I have lots to learn here. Oh, what carrier do you all recommend? I have been looking at T-Mobile. AT&T and/or Verizon are too expensive for my tastes. Not sure about the others. Any and all advice would be most appreciated. Thanks for reading my post.

Please note, that I do NOT want an overly BIG phone. Like many of you, I will keep it in my pocket when I am out and about. The Samsung Galaxy S III is a bit large and the new Samsung S IV is a little bit larger. I really like the look and feel of the iPhone 4 S/5.

Cheers,

Phil

Matt34

Matt34

I would look at the recently release HTC one but it's just as big as the Galaxy S IV. I just ordered the SAMSUNG GALAXY Victory .

It's been called a smaller Galaxay SIII.

Last edited by a moderator:
brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
I have an iPhone 5 and love it. The market has really matured to where you can't go wrong either way. I'd just say don't get the 4s cuz of the olds decoder.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If you need a navigation, this right of the bat eliminates any iDevices - apple maps navigation is still in early alpha compared to google solution.

Battery life is going to be terrible no matter what with almost any smartphone, but there ways to help to stretch it.
Only one phone comes to mind which have outstanding battery -
Set Your Location

However this is my recommendation:
https://ting.com/devices/buy/Samsung-Galaxy-Nexus

Why Ting? If you could consolidate most of your data use to wifi - you could have your cellphone bill down to (approx) $40. They don't charge overages, but sliding your plan up AND down based on usage.

It's a good phone with 32gb storage, no need for shitty iTunes and will have the most updated software for longer time
They also have SG3 on sale, but you said is a bit too big for you...

I would not bother with z10 - it's too new - it Doesn't not have anything going for it really..

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
If you need a navigation, this right of the bat eliminates any iDevices - apple maps navigation is still in early alpha compared to google solution.

Battery life is going to be terrible no matter what with almost any smartphone, but there ways to help to stretch it.
Set Your Location

Why Ting? If you could consolidate most of your data use to wifi - you could have your cellphone bill down to (approx) $40. They don't charge overages, but sliding your plan up AND down based on usage.

It's a good phone with 32gb storage, no need for shitty iTunes and will have the most updated software for longer time

I would not bother with z10 - it's too new - it Doesn't not have anything going for it really..
Google maps is available on the iPhone. Gives turn by turn directions just like android. Used it yesterday :) and decoder in my other post was supposed to say charger, effing autocorrect.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I would look at the recently release HTC one but it's just as big as the Galaxy S IV. I just ordered the SAMSUNG GALAXY Victory .

It's been called a smaller Galaxay SIII.
Thanks a lot Matt. I will be sure to look into the Victory and the HTC One phones before rendering my final decision. Hope all is well my friend.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I have an iPhone 5 and love it. The market has really matured to where you can't go wrong either way. I'd just say don't get the 4s cuz of the olds decoder.
Ummm what do you mean old decoder? I thought the iPhone 4 S is merely the same as the iPhone 5 except the 5 is 1/2" bigger. At least, that is what most people tell me anyways. Am I missing something here? BTW, I got to play with an iPhone 5 and loved it. It was just the right size too. I just want to make the right decision for me. Thanks for your advice.

Cheers,

Phil

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
Ummm what do you mean old decoder? I thought the iPhone 4 S is merely the same as the iPhone 5 except the 5 is 1/2" bigger. At least, that is what most people tell me anyways. Am I missing something here? BTW, I got to play with an iPhone 5 and loved it. It was just the right size too. I just want to make the right decision for me. Thanks for your advice.

Cheers,

Phil
It was a typo/autocorrect. I meant the old charger. May as well get on with the new standard.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord

Set Your Location

Thanks a bunch. I will be sure to check out the Samsung Nexus and Ting. It looks very interesting to me. The same can be said for the RAZR MAXXHD. Funny thing you mention the Z10 is several people have told me they did not care for it at all. I think it is best to stay away from that one. Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers,

Phil

J

jamie2112

Banned
Get an Iphone wait for the 5s to come out or get the 4s, either of them are great and if you use Apple for your computer then its a no brainer really...although if you are still a pc guy you should go with the smaller of the pc based phones IMO ...........hope you are well Speakerman !!!

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I worked in the industry for 5 years on the business side, but have kept up with the technology

Verizon Wireless:
I would definitely consider the Razr HD Maxx HD.
-By far the best phone when it comes to battery life
-Motorola was acquired by Google, so you can expect quicker updates to Android software
-I had the Razr Maxx (non HD) for a year and used it heavy for business and could always get 2 solid days off a charge.

If you can wait about another month, Motorola is coming out with the Droid X, which is supposed to be a super durable with even a larger battery than the Maxx HD.

AT&T/T-Mobile/Sprint: (SAMSUNG GALAXY 3)
-Samsung Galaxy 3 decent battery life (Battery reports on the Galaxy 4 seem mixed, so I would wait and read some reviews)
-Samsung is a full featured software phone
-Excellent in receiving Android software updates
-Removable battery so you can buy an extra if you are a heavy user.
-If the Galaxy 3 is too big, they are coming out with a Galaxy mini that might fit the bill
-Since it's the most popular phone, its fairly easy to find accessories for it (i.e. extra batteries)

Tips:
-Go to each carrier's website and check their network in your area, this could have the most impact on your provider of choice.

AT&T Coverage Viewer
Custom JSP Tag Page
Coverage Locator
U.S. Cellular Coverage Indicator | Cell Phone Coverage | U.S. Cellular

-In my experience as far as data networks I have had the best success with Verizon, then AT&T, followed by Sprint and T-Mobile
-If you go with Sprint, make sure the phone you buy supports 4G LTE. Older model Sprint Phones used 4G Technology called WiMAX, which is all but dead. Sprint has gotten with the times and upgraded to 4G LTE.

I have the HTC One M7(newest model) Great looking and performing phone, but its battery is not user replaceable. That and when you are using it with a heavy workload it does tend to get very hot. I don't think that it would be the best choice for your needs, though I love it for my job!

T-Mobile by far has the best pricing plan @ $70 Unlimited Voice/Text/Data. I have noticed that its voice is great (HD Voice), but its data network can vary greatly by location. That is why its so important to check data coverage in your area.

Great sites to check for phone reviews;

PhoneDog | The Leader in Mobile Phone News and Reviews | PhoneDog
Product reviews and prices, software downloads, and tech news - CNET
Phone Scoop

View attachment 11828

On Prepaid Carriers:
- I do not have experience with them, but a lot of people swear by them because of price.
- Other companies to consider may be in your area you might want to check out (i.e. cricket/ Metro PCS / etc)

On buying unlocked phones:
- Pretty much all unlocked phones are GSM
- T-Mobile uses the 1700 band for HSPA+ (3G+) and LTE most unlocked phone will not work for them in most markets though they are moving to 1900
- Unlocked phones are next to impossible to find and work on Sprint/Verizon because their CDMA networks are closed and would take an act of congress

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Google maps is available on the iPhone. Gives turn by turn directions just like android. Used it yesterday :) and decoder in my other post was supposed to say charger, effing autocorrect.
Directions =! Google Voice Guided Navigation

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes It does. It's GPS. Tells me turn right in 300 meters, etc.
ok, it's been awhile since I played with ios google maps, but as android phone user for many years - Google Maps even with GPS directions is very different from Google Navigation app - yes - they use same data, but the later is essentially full blown replacement for TomTom and Garmin toys, Including traffic, alternative routes and automatic-rerouting if you made wrong turn.

I will test it shortly, but I honestly believe than Ios ported google maps does not have all these features besides few rudimentary ones.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
ok, it's been awhile since I played with ios google maps, but as android phone user for many years - Google Maps even with GPS directions is very different from Google Navigation app - yes - they use same data, but the later is essentially full blown replacement for TomTom and Garmin toys, Including traffic, alternative routes and automatic-rerouting if you made wrong turn.

I will test it shortly, but I honestly believe than Ios ported google maps does not have all these features besides few rudimentary ones.
Yup, it's basically full gps. I believe they fixed up google maps for iOS shortly after apple maps came out.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Google Now for iPhone and iPad: It's Here, and It's Great (UPDATED)
Specifically this:
As some of our astute readers have pointed out, using Google Now on iOS seems to lock your GPS into the ON position, which causes it to slurp down battery like a teenager with a Mountain Dew. Obviously, this isn't good. We've confirmed the problem on our device as well. Reaching out to Google for a comment now.
Yup, it's basically full gps. I believe they fixed up google maps for iOS shortly after apple maps came out.
Hmm, It appears I been mostly incorrect - it's much closer to Google Navigation than I assumed
Google Maps for iPhone Tips and Tricks - YouTube

That all said: I still hate iTunes with prejudice. Lack of expandable storage and non replaceable battery are other big show-stoppers. Now, some android phones have one of or both issues, but I find It's easy to find one which does NOT lack these features.

To give an example closer to us audioholics heart - My Samsung Galaxy S2 came with 16gb Internal storage. I used cheap $20-25 class 4 32gb microsd card to boost total storage to 48gb
I can drag and drop tons of Flac music and have flawless quality music playback on the go. No need to convert. No need for heavy management app etc...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis