skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
Saw this tonight. Tom Cruise is in his usual form as Jack Harper, a drone repair guy in post-apocalypse earth. Apparently, the entire population was moved to Titan (moon of Saturn) and the only humans left on earth maintain the automated drones that stamp out the remaining Scavs (aliens of some sort). Earth, however, is mainly ruined, reduced to a source of water for hydrogen fusion reactors...it's running dry. He lives in isolation with a lover, had his memory wiped before the assignment and is about to be rotated out.

That's all pretty much established in the first 10 minutes, so the main plot is about how things are not what they seem to be. Harper has traces of memory of a previous life, having been married to a woman who manages to show up on the planet. He also maintains a rural hideaway in a small green part of the planet, AND...he finds a bunch of humans still living in a subterranean hideaway, let by a hundred something Morgan Freeman.

How does this all fit together? Is there any hope for humans? What IS Jack remembering? It's all somewhat cleared up at the end, although this is not an easy movie and there are a lot of nuances that may need a second viewing to clear up. The movie is visually terrific, with an engagingly believable barren earth and scary quick glimpses of aliens. Tom Cruise is no better or worse than he usually is. There are hints of Phil Di*k, Top Gun and a lot of other movies. It's not exactly derivative, but it does draw on lots of sic-fi conventions. I was not bowled over, but I have seen worse sic-fl flicks. I don't know that the plot justifies the seemingly enormous amount of money spent on production, but I enjoyed it.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
It's been getting bad reviews. A lot of people are saying that nothing happens for about the first hour. You can basically show up about an hour late and still get the gist of the movie.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It's been getting bad reviews. A lot of people are saying that nothing happens for about the first hour. You can basically show up about an hour late and still get the gist of the movie.
70% of all user "reviews" are useless. Just because someone can write a review doesn't mean they should. That isn't a poke at the OP either :)

This is exactly the same thing that was said about The Hobbit - people who claim to have read the book. Slow for a long time, too long, etc... If they read the book, then they would know it pretty much closely follows the book.

G

Grador

I want to know if it's just slow or more of an atmospheric feel.

70% of all user "reviews" are useless. Just because someone can write a review doesn't mean they should. That isn't a poke at the OP either :)

This is exactly the same thing that was said about The Hobbit - people who claim to have read the book. Slow for a long time, too long, etc... If they read the book, then they would know it pretty much closely follows the book.
Closely following a book doesn't make it a good movie, it was painfully slow. It also didn't really follow the book terribly closely.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Closely following a book doesn't make it a good movie, it was painfully slow. It also didn't really follow the book terribly closely.
It is a movie; it hit the major plot points, though how they got to some of those points was obviously not identical. As I said in another thread, he changed things in each movie, some are from the appendices, others are flat out changes, but they were done to make a movie not the book. If people want the book, then they should read the book.

As for Oblivion, sounds like a rent might be in order.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

I want to know if it's just slow or more of an atmospheric feel.
That's a personal call. I will say that it doesn't move real fast, but there's a fair amount of exposition that is needed and the movie is visually rich so I never felt bored. I also loved the vehicle he drove. If you need beginning to end action however, you won't get that.

Books might inspire a movie, but books have too many characters, too many events and too many words to ever put them all in a movie. The task is to severely reduce the book without losing it's spirit, something that rarely happens.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I agree John. I looked at the Netflik reviews and I wondered if I just watched the same movie.

We got this from Netflix last night, and really liked it.
There was a lot of detail, nuance, suspense and action, to let the story unfold. It went by a lot faster than the two hour run time.
Gave it 4 out of 5 stars.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis