Sherbourn SR-8100 A/V Receiver - an audiophile dream?

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Since Emotiva purchased Sherbourn, they've been busy completely revamping their product line and taking it to online sales. The Sherbourn SR-8100 A/V receiver is a prime example of the fruits of their new labor. At $800, this baby offers a lot of audiophile goods for the modest asking price. 80 watts x 7 (all channels driven) with adjustable EQ settings for even the sub out, Sherbourn has the custom integrator in mind.

What do you think about this receiver? Is this something you would purchase as an alternative to the big brand solutions?

Discuss "Sherbourn SR-8100 7.1 Channel Receiver Preview" here. Read the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Wow. You say custom integrator, I say DIY spare bedroom theater!

Expanding the topic, I think Jade Designs has done a remarkable job with Sherbourn and Emotiva. Its not often that I applaud parents these days.

SaviorMachine

SaviorMachine

Enthusiast
Can't connect to your computer [because that would be superfluous fluff] but can stream CD quality audio from your phone [which is totally not superfluous fluff]

"The SR-8100 is a 7.1 receiver that is targeted squarely at the consumer that wants a high end product that worries more about audio than making sure it works with your phone." <--What could this mean? We just learned that it "can stream CD quality audio from your phone." Also, $800 for 80watts.

--What the heck?

Last edited by a moderator:
L

luis1090

Audioholic Intern
@saviormachine: Did you read the preview, this receiver is rated @80w channel all 7 channels driven. Top of the line recievers from Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo among others rate their units with only two channel driven and sometimes not even full bandwith (Sony). That means this unit will supply more power than even your regular 120-150/w "channel" receiver. Also taking a quick look at the board you see what looks like a toroidal power supply and probably twice the capacitance that you have on those 2-3k dollar units, so also more reserve power. Finally this quote: "The SR-8100 is a 7.1 receiver that is targeted squarely at the consumer that wants a high end product that worries more about audio than making sure it works with your phone." means exactly that, if you you want a unit with all the "bells and whistles" and ok sound look elsewhere, on the other hand if you like clean well detailed sound then this is it.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
The SR 8100 is selling for $719 at the Roadshow I was just at today:

They didn't have the XMC-1 yet and they would not commit to a release date, which is why I attending, but it looks like they have learned from the previous mistake and won't release it unless its fully ready to go to market.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Pro: three banks of 11 bands of PEQ for each channel
?: 3 bands for the sub - Peq? or regular 3 EQ bands?
Con: No Pre-outs
?: Unknown room correction

Price: $800
-------------
bottom line:
$800 and No Pre-outs = Thank you, but I'll pass

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
The AVR is built in China, same one that builds alot of NAD products..
Should be a solid, reliable product..

Just my $0.02... ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If it measures like the UMC200, which measures better than the $10,000 Bryston SP3 and most pre-pros, then it's a winner.... So let's wait to see how it measures and performs (bugs, etc).

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
Headphone amp too!

Too bad there are not a full set of 7.1 pre-outs for future expansion. I looked at their site and also note there is a high qualiy headphone amplifier. Hopefully it is released with no to little bugs.

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
80 W x 7 for $800 might be a value proposition if you are comparing to Denon or Yamaha, but not to Onkyo...the 6xx series costs $599 and measures at 89W x 7 at clipping :D

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
I've been conversing with Ray Elkins, Sherbourn's Sales Manager, since last October about the SR-8100 so I'm definitely stoked it was finally released. I have a height restriction with my cabinet, which makes it such that a slim-line AVR is all I can fit. Unfortunately there aren't many to choose from, let alone ones that have the potential this one does. The proprietary room correction gives me pause, as does the fact there doesn't seem to be a USB port for updates, so there are a few things that cause some concern. But for me the good might outweigh the bad, so I'm seriously considering one of these.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
80 W x 7 for $800 might be a value proposition if you are comparing to Denon or Yamaha, but not to Onkyo...the 6xx series costs $599 and measures at 89W x 7 at clipping :D
An all channels driven test does not tell you much at 1khz. If this test was done at full bandwidth (20-20khz) it would mean something. The HT rags do these at 1khz because it makes a receiver look better. Notice how they don't really tell you that. Because for the most part it's a meaningless number. More importantly you should look at the 2 channel driven number with a 4ohm load. That will give you a more honest idea of how good the amp section is.

The Onkyo 6XX series would be eaten for lunch by the Sherbourn.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
An all channels driven test does not tell you much at 1khz. If this test was done at full bandwidth (20-20khz) it would mean something. The HT rags do these at 1khz because it makes a receiver look better. Notice how they don't really tell you that. Because for the most part it's a meaningless number. More importantly you should look at the 2 channel driven number with a 4ohm load. That will give you a more honest idea of how good the amp section is.

The All Channels Driven (ACD) Amplifier Test | Audioholics

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic

The Onkyo and Sherbourn weigh about the same, has Sherbourn broken the laws of physics?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

I understand why this has been said and repeated many times on forums but I also feel for most reputable amps the difference of power output between 1 kHz and 20-20 kHz is not likely going to be very much though there are always exceptions. As such I don't blame the tester because if the results are predictable then they may think it is better to spend time on other things that matter more. If only the 1 kHz is done I would just discount it by 10 to 20% (less than 1dB) to be on the safe side.

As far as ACD goes, imho it is one of the biggest misconception out there but I am sure there are many knowledgeable members here who do believe in the ACD approach. I guess that could be because they listen to real world material that drive all channels to relatively high levels simultaneously, such as 7 ch stereo just as an example, and that they can afford the extra power. I suspect for people who has a limited budget, they are much better off with AVRs (such as Yamaha) that does well in 2Ch than those that gives you half of everything, e.g. 150WX2, 75WX7 is better than 100WX2, 98WX7 for real world applications. That why I typically avoided HK and NAD when I was using AVRs.

The AH article on the ACD topic is a very good one for people in either camps.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The Onkyo and Sherbourn weigh about the same, has Sherbourn broken the laws of physics?
I don't think it has to do with the laws of physics. It may be just in the design/build. Again, look at some simple examples: Aluminum is less than 1/2 the weight of copper, and about 1/3 the weight of steel. Also, toroidal transformer are typically (there are always exceptions) lighter, everything else being equal. Layout & cooling system design could provide the same or better cooling than simply more and heavier heat sinks.

One of these days, you may finally be convinced that weight is just one indicator.:D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I like the fact that they tell you about the transformer VA rating. This thing has a 450VA toroidal in it so we know in order to pump out the claimed 80X7=560W ACD, it will have to operate well into the its overload range. Factoring in power factor and efficiency assuming class A/B, I would guess that at 560W output, the transformer will be overloaded by at least 150%, quite possibly higher. It would have to be a high quality toroidal transformer that can handle short term overload. Again, this is not likely to be a factor for real world HT applications for most people most of the time.

As comparison, the UPA700 specs say 500 VA transformer and 60,000 uF.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis