Which of these new Samsung Blu-ray players appeals to you?

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Samsung released its 2013 Blu-ray players with no surprises and some incremental updates. The BD-F7500, BD-F5900, and BD-F5100 are the three primary contenders this year and you can read the full article to get our take on each one.

Discuss "Samsung BD-F7500, BD-F5900, & BD-F5100 Blu-ray Player Comparison" here. Read the article.

internetmin

internetmin

Audioholic
I think that limiting the digital and eliminating the analog in the entry level units is a good strategy. A good chunk of people now have HDMI inputs on their AV equipment and the critical mass with HDMI enabled TVs has been here for a while now. I think where you get the difference is better DACs at the higher end product and it makes sense to include analog outs at that point since users can also use the unit as a universal physical media device for audio--and there, they can take advantage of DACs in the unit that may be better than their AVR.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think that limiting the digital and eliminating the analog in the entry level units is a good strategy. A good chunk of people now have HDMI inputs on their AV equipment and the critical mass with HDMI enabled TVs has been here for a while now. I think where you get the difference is better DACs at the higher end product and it makes sense to include analog outs at that point since users can also use the unit as a universal physical media device for audio--and there, they can take advantage of DACs in the unit that may be better than their AVR.
That isn't critical mass, analog video is basically being phased out because of DRM - so that is more of a requirement than an industry choice. Analog audio is already considered legacy also and in the lower end market it will no doubt follow suit simply because it is less expensive for the manufacturers not to include them. Denon released new "E series" receivers that have HDMI and very few analog connections, and that's the direction I expect most other manufacturers to go as well. It is a separate line for Denon, but it will likely become the norm for the less expensive models from all manufacturers.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
That isn't critical mass, analog video is basically being phased out because of DRM - so that is more of a requirement than an industry choice. Analog audio is already considered legacy also and in the lower end market it will no doubt follow suit simply because it is less expensive for the manufacturers not to include them. Denon released new "E series" receivers that have HDMI and very few analog connections, and that's the direction I expect most other manufacturers to go as well. It is a separate line for Denon, but it will likely become the norm for the less expensive models from all manufacturers.
I want my analog outputs.. The only entry level Bluray player to that is Vizio..no analog video, just an HDMI output and one pair of analog RCA out puts.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I actually have one of the 5100 models in my bedroom. I chose it for no other reason than the 10" overall width of the unit would fit in the space I had for it. Living in the country, I can't stream and I don't have enough monthly bandwidth even for internet radio. I don't have a 3D TV. But this little unit, so far, has done a competent job of playing blu rays DVD's and CD's for lounging in bed. Perfectly competent little unit. I've read concerns about the reliability of the Samsung units. I haven't had it long enough to be able to judge that. Mine is humming along nicely.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis