Your favorite surround sounding movie

T

tjohnusa

Enthusiast
So what I am asking is the movie you feel has the best surround effects(5.1) Personally I love Master and Commander and a close second despite it's age is Top Gun......discuss

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
I just watched "Dredd". It was pretty good. The first 1/2 hour of "Saving Private Ryan" had bullets whizzing all over the room.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Gets covered a lot, but I am not sure we have a good thread going much anymore. One recent one that didn't get much activity recently: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/general-av-discussions/44135-best-blu-ray-demo-disc.html

Dredd was not a great movie, but had some of the best sound I've heard in a while. It was the first film done in dtsHD MA 7.1 that was optimized for 11.2 processing.

Some of my favorites recently:
Skyfall
Dark Knight Rises
Prometheus

General audio favorite:
Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World

T

Trev

Audioholic
A few good eggs:

Dredd
Transporter 1
The Loved Ones
Appleseed Ex Machina
Howl's Moving Castle

Favorite Blu Ray Disc for Audio and Video Definition:

Nine Inch Nails: Beside You In Time

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
3:10 to Yuma and The International. Holy BASS workout too. Moving Castle hmmm never heard of it. I have Master and Commander on DVD. Will check it out soon. The Terminator has been remastered to great PQ/SQ and just released last month. Picking that up.:D

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks JG will order Max Payne. I saw WOTW(at the movies:mad:) and Cloverfield(rental:mad: had no HT setup then) and disliked them.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Didn't say they were great movies :) Max Payne is better as a movie than those, but still not what I'd call great either. But the bass is insane on them.

Cloverfield is an odd one. I didn't like it the first time I watched it either (mainly all the useless garbage at the beginning), but as a b-movie horror flick I think it works. Godzilla movie entirely from the perspective of the people, not far shots of the monsters; still not a great movie.

WOTW was just not a great movie. Visually solid, great audio, but the '53 version was far more effective as a movie.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
.... The Terminator has been remastered to great PQ/SQ and just released last month. Picking that up.:D
Do you have an updated image of this or barcode #? I bought mine some time back and am wondering if it is worth an upgrade. Still waiting for an extended one for T2.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I may order that one myself :) I have this orignial: BD too and would not mind checking out the remaster.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Had the Howl's Castle blu ray for over a year now. Special edition. *cough*
You suck :) We have a local Japanese store and they carry a bunch of Miyazake stuff that I've never heard of, but most of it is also not sub'ed either, so doesn't do me any good.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Hellboy II Is in my top 10 now. Just buy it. Amazing Picture/Audio!

Last edited by a moderator:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
My two favourite movies for surround sound accuracy is U571 and Master & Commander. These two have about the best soundtrack in terms of accuracy.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My two favourite movies for surround sound accuracy is U571 and Master & Commander. These two have about the best soundtrack in terms of accuracy.
Those two are always favorites. Of the older standby films, I'll add House of Flying Daggers - uncompressed PCM. Easily one of the best movie audio tracks out there.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Don't forget Twister. Not as much deep bass, but it will show off your surround for sure.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis