Hitachi 4Tb USB 3.0 External HD - only $160 w/Free ship - Shell Shocker Expires 2/22/13

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
bump - This deal is best storage deal I have seen in a long time... just saying...

L

Lordhumungus

Audioholic
That is a great deal. I've been eyeballing this as I need 10-15 of them for my home server. I wasn't trying to spend this much money right now, but I may have to jump in (and also get a few of my friends to help me out).

L

Lordhumungus

Audioholic
Not a bad deal at all on the WD Drives, but my next upgrade has to be to 4TB drives otherwise I will be out of space again within a few months. The plan is to buy a bunch of the Hitachi external drives and crack open their delicious candy shell to remove their creamy innards, which happen to be a 7200RPM 4TB Drive. Fortunately I managed to put down my wallet and not by this time, although I'm sure because I did, Thailand will not sink to the bottom of the ocean and the drives will be worth more than gold.

L

Lordhumungus

Audioholic
Squize my french, but GDMF!
Now a Seagate 4TB Usb3 drive for only $140 !! Booo on me to rush to pay $160 before
Seagate Backup Plus 4TB USB 3.0 Black Desktop Hard Drive
Worth the extra $20 to not have a Seagate drive if you ask me. I absolutely refuse to buy their products after some of the failure rates I've seen. It sucks too since they swallowed up Samsung's drive division, which was my favorite. Still, a very good deal if you haven't had the luck that I have.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Speaking of storage - I'm on my way to build my first home storage - this one is tad nerdy (OK, VERY Nerdy), but more of learning in process. Based on Intel Core i3 3220T, Gigabyte h77 micro-atx, 32gb ddr3, boot from usb3 fast sd card and storage - 6x2tb drives (WD GP-AV), expandable up to total of nine with adapters built around this case
The best part - completely silent. I mean less than 15 db silent from 1 foot

The really geek part is os - it's ubuntu server 12.10, zfs for volume mgr/file system and nfs for sharing with media client - atom 2.1/gt610 running openElec

OpenIndiana/SmartOS and various FreeBSD were considered, but eventually rejected due to lack of expertise on my side. Ubuntu has one of biggest community and most of them are Linux beginners just like me
"Appliances" like FreeNas/Nas4Free/Nexenta were also considered, but rejected too due to lack of flexibility and server resources wasted on web interface doesn't not bring sufficient justification in long term.

L

Lordhumungus

Audioholic
Sounds interesting, although I'm curious what you need 32 Gigs of RAM for. I REALLY need to get those 4TB drives for my server. I have a stack of about 50 blu-rays that haven't been ripped yet and I am completely out of space.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
zfs will use 7/8 of ram for read caching... it could be substituted/expanded by ssd. Another reason for general use os I expect to run another services on this box like LAMP and/or KVM
It will host sabnzbd/sickbeard/couchpotato and most likely I will probably going to host Tiny Tiny RSS

L

Lordhumungus

Audioholic
Yeah, I had never done much research into ZFS until just now. Holly hell does it like some RAM. I need to learn more about newsgroups while I am at it...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I hope you didn't misunderstand me - I meant 7/8 of machine ram, but not necessary such large amount as I have thrown at it.
I think suggested ram for zfs system starts at 4gb with minimum at 1-2gb
ZFS is of interest to me since it's pretty close duplicates many of thee features found on some very expensive SAN systems
But to get great performance once must still invest tons of dough for server grade hardware

Reason for TT RSS is since Google reader will be closed this summer and all the existing substitutes aren't nearly as good. Use it while it's still open !
Here are few of best Google reader plugins:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/reader-plus/hhcknjkmaaeinhdjgimjnophgpbdgfmg
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/super-full-feeds-for-goog/khbjahpecnkenngkidhioicnfpakihgo
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/rss-subscription-extensio/nlbjncdgjeocebhnmkbbbdekmmmcbfjd

L

Lordhumungus

Audioholic
I read around some and apparently a general rule of thumb to obtain "good" performance is something like 1GB of RAM per TB of HD space.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis