Audyssey XT32 / Sub HT EQ or manual set up?

D

deathwantsme

Audioholic Intern
Is there any merit to getting a receiver with Audyssey XT32 or Sub HT EQ? I'm planning on doing 2 subs, and going to be sure bass management is doable. I'd strongly prefer something that allows me to set the distances for the sub independently, if not require it. Can you achieve the same/similar/better results with proper speaker placement and positioning, and AVR distance settings, or is there a performance boost using Audyssey's technologies?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Audyssey's subEQ is excellent IMO, however the rest of the RC (XT32) is mostly personal preference. Some people love it, some people hate it. What XT32 and the rest of the audyssey lineup does pretty well is set the delay among a few other things. If you plan on running 2 subs, but don't want to invest in some more equipment to get some equalization to your subs then yes it is definitely worth it.

Proper placement and setting the distances might get you close, but you won't really know for sure (except by ear) unless you get a measurement mic and download REW. The other issue is that when audyssey sets the distance it is also accounting for any signal delay that is needed, which it sounds like you're not taking into account. It's tough to say how much EQ you really need without a measurement mic at minimum (or SPL meter) and REW).

So to sum that up, XT32 can be hit or miss depending on your tastes, subEQ is almost always a winner. Problem is you can't have one without the other. Proper placement may get you close, but it's impossible to know for sure and by how much without making a smallish investment in some measurement gear.

D

deathwantsme

Audioholic Intern
So to sum that up, XT32 can be hit or miss depending on your tastes, subEQ is almost always a winner. Problem is you can't have one without the other. Proper placement may get you close, but it's impossible to know for sure and by how much without making a smallish investment in some measurement gear.
I mean, the cost isn't an issue. To go to a receiver with XT32 and sub EQ, you're paying a pretty penny. Its the lack of experience, and the potential time investment that I'm wondering about. You already pointed out that I'm not accounting for everything here, "The other issue is that when audyssey sets the distance it is also accounting for any signal delay that is needed, which it sounds like you're not taking into account" so that makes me wonder as well.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I mean, the cost isn't an issue. To go to a receiver with XT32 and sub EQ, you're paying a pretty penny. Its the lack of experience, and the potential time investment that I'm wondering about. You already pointed out that I'm not accounting for everything here, "The other issue is that when audyssey sets the distance it is also accounting for any signal delay that is needed, which it sounds like you're not taking into account" so that makes me wonder as well.
Out of curiosity what subs so you plan on using this with and what receivers were you looking at?

Do or do not, there is no try.

D

deathwantsme

Audioholic Intern
Looking at Onkyo 818, 1010, or denon 4311

Unsure of subs. One step at a time.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis