NOOOOOOOOO !!!!! Panasonic considers exiting from plasma TVs

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That's really bad news. I just bought a Panny and It's a great TV. I think they should just raise the price and or cut the dealers out and sell direct. The Panny BD player I just bought that is a great little unit for discs and streaming was only $64 which is ridiculous. I have one downstairs that is the same model but bought about a year ago or so and that one was $164. Both were bought from Amazon. They obviously need more margin.

Pretty soon it will be impossible to buy anything that is any good.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Looks like I'll be buying new tv's sooner than I thought. This just sucks.

internetmin

internetmin

Audioholic
That's not an echo, that's me screaming too. I just can't believe it. Finally, we're starting to get TVs that are once again approaching Kuro level and now what?! It looks like we still have another year before something happens but thanks for sharing this. I'm very disappointed.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That isn't all that bad. I only say this because if the ZT60 is as good as everyone says, is there really anywhere else to go with plasma tech? I still REALLY want a ZT60 (wifey will have to approve that one, one of the few times I'll say that). I can see the logic in saying that OLED is the next big display technology. Makes sense to put their engineers on that instead of tweaking what is already fantastic. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are further advances that could be made in PDP technology, but there comes a point to stop development. It happened to CRT's, it will happen to LCD and Plasma as well.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That is really good news.

I just bought a Panasonic Plasma and we are very pleased with it.

At our lake home we still have the 2006 Fujitsu Plasma vision. It is 1080i as the p was not around then.

This Fujitsu has always given a superb picture, even is the blacks are not quite as good as on newer models.

However overall my wife and I slightly prefer the Fujitsu overall. There is some thing really natural about the picture hard to put into words. The detail is astonishing despite the i and not the p.

Prices have really dropped though, the plasma vision cost nearly seven times as much as the Panasonic!

D

Darkwing_duck

Audioholic
Maybe Panasonic shouldn't have made those 150" 4k plasma sets then...I think they sold for a whooping $500,000! Who would pay for something like that. Must cost a fortune to ship and hang

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I want a TV for the living room... I'll have to keep this in mind.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Can't blame them, though. Losing $400M+ a year doesn't really help out the bottom line. It is too bad, but hopefully they'll start getting OLED out the door to the masses.
OLED is the answer and will come down in price eventually but, I feel it will be many years. (just like plasma)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Sad News although I'm hoping for a BIG sale in Dec. for a ST/GT/VT for 500$ or less.:eek:

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Just noticed this thread today and I fell like I dodged a bullet. :eek: A Panasonic 40" plasma was in my sights to replace my old TV in the office. The only reason I bought the Samsung LED model was the price difference, otherwise Panasonic would've won hands down. I can't think of one bad Panasonic product I've bought over the years that I've been displeased with. Sad news indeed.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I've got a co-worker that's looking to get a TV. I'll tell him to look at Panasonic plasma's since I assume the prices will be coming way down.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis