My man cave home theater

vecc76

vecc76

Audioholic Intern
This is my entry level home theater:)

Denon AVR-587 (im currently using 7.1)
Pioneer 3-way main fronts (for old speakers these actually in my opinion sound really good)
Sony center and surround speakers
My cheap 8" sub (this will be the first thing that I get when I upgrade)
Samsung 50" plasma TV
Modus TV stand (I picked this up at a closeout store for cheap, very nice looking stand)
Xbox 360
HD DVD player
Logitech harmony URC
9 acoustic panels throughout the room
All HDMI and fiber optic cables being used

Over all I'm happy with the sound, I know it can be way better. Over time and saving some money I will keep doing upgrades!!:)

Attachments

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Looks good! I like the colors, and also how you made the acoustic panels look more like artwork than utilitarian.

vecc76

vecc76

Audioholic Intern
That was my fiances doing:) That was her way of having a "SAY SO" in the project! Which in the end it did turn out very nice.....THANKS;)

vecc76

vecc76

Audioholic Intern
Your welcome, any future upgrades I do, I'll continue to upload picture;)

vecc76

vecc76

Audioholic Intern
Update!

Ok, so I'm back to 5.2 after a few upgrades including (Marantz DP-870) I have found that the sound is tremendously better than the 7.1 through the receiver. Also I was lucky enough to find 2 JBL 10" subs of of Ebay at a very good price. The amps were shot so the subs were pulled out, I had a couple plate amps laying around so i made 2 custom sub boxes, now I'm ROOM SHAKING!! I still have along way to go, however the sound has come a long way from when I started. The Marantz processor made an enormous difference, I had no Idea I was missing out on that sound quality. Soon when I can get a few bucks tucked away I'll go up to a 7.1 processor, because these things are worth their weight in gold in my opinion. :)

Attachments

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Love the color coordination looks great! I hope you don't mind me making the pic bigger, for those wanting a bigger view. Separate vinyl section is cool. Can you share the cost of the acoustic panels? Your GF did a great job. Where is the 2nd. sub? I love the setup. :D The plants scare me though. I'd be afraid if any water would get to my speakers.:eek:

Last edited:
hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
Love the color coordination looks great! I hope you don't mind me making the pic bigger, for those wanting a bigger view. Separate vinyl section is cool. Can you share the cost of the acoustic panels? Your GF did a great job. Where is the 2nd. sub? I love the setup. :D The plants scare me though. I'd be afraid if any water would get to my speakers.:eek:
afterlife,
With what you went through w/ Sandy, it is understandable!

Last edited by a moderator:
vecc76

vecc76

Audioholic Intern
Well the plants are artificial so no worries. The second sub is on the right side of couch which is centered in the middle of the room. As far as the panels I have roughly 80.00 or so dollars in them, wood and fabric about 60.00 and the sound insulation 20.00, about one day build time so not to bad. Yes and thanks to the fiance for her help because those are two colors and patterns I probably would not have picked out, but once they were up it was clear that she can match better than I can:) This is a basement with wood floors so the panels helped quite a bit.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
They look very pro. Maybe I can do it too one day. Where did you get the idea from? ohoh. :D

vecc76

vecc76

Audioholic Intern
I did some research through some DIY sites, a couple YouTube videos and just went with it. I've always been a DIY kinda guy, so the panels were a pleasure to do, also it does help to have access to a complete wood shop with all the toys :) I think in the very near future I'm going to build new towers, ill probably go with a kit from parts express, just need a little more research on what to go with as far as drivers, mids and tweets. But that's why I love this audioholics, most everything I need for knowledge is right here. If and when I do the towers ill be sure to post the outcome :)

vecc76

vecc76

Audioholic Intern
Thanks , I'm in the process of building a new center channel using the tang band w3-881si from parts express. The price was to good not to give them a try, I'll be using four of those drivers wired in series/parallel along with a soft dome tweeter. I'll post the pictures and results soon as it's complete:) Then on to some new tower builds, just trying to research some drivers and crossovers to use.

vecc76

vecc76

Audioholic Intern
Update

My current update I've definitely found a new love for vinyl.

new4.jpgnew3.jpgnew2.jpgnew1.jpg

vecc76

vecc76

Audioholic Intern
I have, just haven't found one that caught my eye. With the spring coming up I'll hit some auctions and flea markets to see if I can find one. The size I'm looking for are crazy expensive new, so second hand will more than likely fit the budget.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis