speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, as many of you know I just recently purchased the Andrew Jones 5.0 speaker set-up. That being said, I knew I had gotten a good deal when I bought them. In fact, the deal was the reason I brought them home after demoing them at my local BB. As I mentioned before, I have NOT heard a better set of speakers for the money in ANY brand. What's more, I found a better deal on Tigerdirect.com for the SP-BS22 booksheleves and the SP-C22 center channel speaker. To my surprise, my local BB priced matched it for me and refunded a little over $34.00. I am quite pleased to say the least. So now, I went from getting a real good deal to getting an even better one. Kudo to BB!

Still yet, I purchased my new tv stand today at my local Big Lots. As luck would have it, I got a very nice tv stand for about $70.00! Once again, I am very pleased. Things are coming together and soon I will be back in the game so to speak. Sure feels good too.....Haha!

I am still lacking a new receiver. The old Integra is just too dated to full with. I have no remote and/or calibrating mic. As such, I have decided to just get a new receiver. Have several in mind and will be making my decision soon. More on that to come...........until then, thanks for reading my post. May you have a day like mine.

Cheers,

Phil

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
The Onkyo TX-NR709 as stated in your other post was suggested before I knew what speakers you were driving, now that I know the reco is even more justified, the 673 or 709 (preferrably the 709) will do just fine.
Cheers again, Jeff

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The Onkyo TX-NR709 as stated in your other post was suggested before I knew what speakers you were driving, now that I know the reco is even more justified, the 673 or 709 (preferrably the 709) will do just fine.
Cheers again, Jeff
I see. Where can the Onkyo 709 be had? What price range are we talking here? I can get a good deal on the Yammie 673/720. As far as the Onkyo goes, I can get a good deal on the NR616/NR717.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Where can the Onkyo 709 be had?
First I'll start off with what's good about Onkyo ...

1. low price
  2. MDS likes them

Okay, now here's what's wrong with them ...

1. they run HOT
  2. some sort of rumored high failure rate with their HDMI boards
  3. crazy poor customer service
  4. TLS guy doesn't like them
  5. BMXTRIX doesn't like them

Having said that I recently started to use an old Onkyo for stereo duty in ManTown and it runs hot just being on. I think the video board on it just recently sh!t the bed ... probably from overheating. :D

Still, I'm tempted by them quite often on the used market because of the price. My air temp in the condo now is around 80 degrees (with the windows closed) and it's winter. I seriously don't need any more heat sources. Yet I still have one because of the $120 price tag from a pawn shop probably over a year ago. It served me well enough for home theater and now for stereo. Even the spec's on it piss me off. What's with the rated output being measured at 1KHz? What if I get tired of listening to a 1KHz test tone? :rolleyes:

Whatever you get please make sure that I like it first because chances are I will be buying it from you when you upgrade. :)

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks Alex for the very entertaining post:D. The onkyo does run hot even at idle, but with the 200mm PC fan mine is actually cool to tjhe touch. I would stay away drom the 717 and consider the 709 here. My Onkyo 702 has been working without an issue for eight years.

Amazon.com: Onkyo TX-NR709 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver (Black): Electronics

Here is the new Pioneer, I think the sale ends today, 50% off at Newegg.

Pioneer SC-1222-K 7.2-Channel Network Ready AV Receiver - Newegg.com

I know Mark (TLS) does not like Onkyo, I believe that is our only thing we disagree on.;)
The HDMI issues with Onkyo were with previous year models, not the X09 series, they did have a recall on certain units made late 2011 to early 2012, I have experienced no problems with my 709 using the PC fan.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Still, I'm tempted by them quite often on the used market because of the price.
Not to mention you get nearly 8" of bit hot black chassis to work with if you step into the 8xx and up. :p

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Having said that I recently started to use an old Onkyo for stereo duty in ManTown and it runs hot just being on.
I'm not exactly sure what causes their heat problems. I listened to some music for a while last night at moderately loud levels with my 707 set to pure audio mode, which basically meant it was only a pre-amp feeding an Emo amplifier. At the end of the session, the Emo had just a hint of warmth over the transformer and was cool to the touch over the heat sinks. The Onkyo was still its usual warm self.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Did you have the speakers turned off on the Onkyo?
I don't believe it has that option. AFAIK if you turn them off in the setup, it won't output to the preamp outs either.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
First I'll start off with what's good about Onkyo ...

1. low price
  2. MDS likes them

Okay, now here's what's wrong with them ...

1. they run HOT
  2. some sort of rumored high failure rate with their HDMI boards
  3. crazy poor customer service
  4. TLS guy doesn't like them
  5. BMXTRIX doesn't like them

Having said that I recently started to use an old Onkyo for stereo duty in ManTown and it runs hot just being on. I think the video board on it just recently sh!t the bed ... probably from overheating. :D

Still, I'm tempted by them quite often on the used market because of the price. My air temp in the condo now is around 80 degrees (with the windows closed) and it's winter. I seriously don't need any more heat sources. Yet I still have one because of the $120 price tag from a pawn shop probably over a year ago. It served me well enough for home theater and now for stereo. Even the spec's on it piss me off. What's with the rated output being measured at 1KHz? What if I get tired of listening to a 1KHz test tone? :rolleyes:

Whatever you get please make sure that I like it first because chances are I will be buying it from you when you upgrade. :)
LOL......yeah does kind of seem like that doesn't it? Yeah, I will be sure to make sure I make the right choice. That means this time I plan to keep it for a very LONG time......hahahahahahah! Thanks for the summation.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks Alex for the very entertaining post:D. The onkyo does run hot even at idle, but with the 200mm PC fan mine is actually cool to tjhe touch. I would stay away drom the 717 and consider the 709 here. My Onkyo 702 has been working without an issue for eight years.

Amazon.com: Onkyo TX-NR709 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver (Black): Electronics

Here is the new Pioneer, I think the sale ends today, 50% off at Newegg.

Pioneer SC-1222-K 7.2-Channel Network Ready AV Receiver - Newegg.com

I know Mark (TLS) does not like Onkyo, I believe that is our only thing we disagree on.;)
The HDMI issues with Onkyo were with previous year models, not the X09 series, they did have a recall on certain units made late 2011 to early 2012, I have experienced no problems with my 709 using the PC fan.
Right, but the need to use a fan to begin with scares me. Why is it really needed? I mean, why are the Onkyos designed this way? I am also concerned with the noise the fan will make during quiet spots in a movie/tv show/music listening. Do you hear it when things are quiet? How about when things are a little more active so to speak? Then, there is the added expense of buying a fan. Why not save that money and put it towards a better designed receiver? Just saying-not trying to be argumentative. I appreciate all of your input.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not exactly sure what causes their heat problems. I listened to some music for a while last night at moderately loud levels with my 707 set to pure audio mode, which basically meant it was only a pre-amp feeding an Emo amplifier. At the end of the session, the Emo had just a hint of warmth over the transformer and was cool to the touch over the heat sinks. The Onkyo was still its usual warm self.
Perhaps, a design flaw? Better yet, a design trade-off? Who knows. I do remember driving a set of Polk Rti6's with my Onkyo 7XX. It would get very hot even when not driving it hard. As such, I sent it back. The Rti6's were an easy load to drive too. I ended up with a Denon and LOVED it! Heat was NEVER an issue and the sound was noticeably better from what I remember.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Do you hear it when things are quiet? How about when things are a little more active so to speak? Then, there is the added expense of buying a fan.
Depends on the fan you get. I currently use one of these:
AC Infinity AI-CFS120BA Single 120 Quiet Cabinet Fan Kit, for Home Theater AV Amplifier Media Cooling, Black - Amazon.com
and any noise it makes is washed out by my blu ray player and what I'm guessing is the hard drive in my cable box/DVR. Suffice it to say, the fan is VERY quiet.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Better yet, a design trade-off?
If I had to guess - that's the answer. I doubt that Onkyo would carry a design flaw for years that was so blatantly obvious to anyone who used their products. It's possible that it's due to poor engineering, but I'd be surprised.

I'm curious if the power draw of an Onkyo is greater than other brands. I just haven't looked, so maybe it's well published. If two receivers draw the same power while delivering the same power to speakers - that means they are dissipating the same amount of heat. Depending on the internal design, a hotter chassis may or may not mean hotter electronics. Also, "hot" to electronics is extremely hot to humans. Granted, the electrical components are likely quite a bit hotter than the chassis.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Depends on the fan you get. I currently use one of these:
AC Infinity AI-CFS120BA Single 120 Quiet Cabinet Fan Kit, for Home Theater AV Amplifier Media Cooling, Black - Amazon.com
and any noise it makes is washed out by my blu ray player and what I'm guessing is the hard drive in my cable box/DVR. Suffice it to say, the fan is VERY quiet.
Interesting! Only $20 too. So, how do you have it hooked up? And, how do you have it placed? Just curious. If this is an easy fix, then why does Onkyo not include a fan in the design of their receivers? Any ideas?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
If I had to guess - that's the answer. I doubt that Onkyo would carry a design flaw for years that was so blatantly obvious to anyone who used their products. It's possible that it's due to poor engineering, but I'd be surprised.

I'm curious if the power draw of an Onkyo is greater than other brands. I just haven't looked, so maybe it's well published. If two receivers draw the same power while delivering the same power to speakers - that means they are dissipating the same amount of heat. Depending on the internal design, a hotter chassis may or may not mean hotter electronics. Also, "hot" to electronics is extremely hot to humans. Granted, the electrical components are likely quite a bit hotter than the chassis.
Could be. Looks like Onkyo would do something about it. Especially, adding a fan would simply fix the problem. Why not split the cost?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Interesting! Only $20 too. So, how do you have it hooked up? And, how do you have it placed? Just curious.
It's just plugged in on the power strip that feeds the system, always on. It's not exactly a high powered device, so I'm not overly concerned about the power draw; kind of annoying that the 707 doesn't have a switched outlet though. I've found placing the fan in middle/rear section to be the most effective, also have some little rubber nubs on them to absorb potential vibration between it and the Onkyo's chassis.

If this is an easy fix, then why does Onkyo not include a fan in the design of their receivers? Any ideas?
I believe they do in at least the higher up models, the 1009 for example:

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
It's just plugged in on the power strip that feeds the system, always on. It's not exactly a high powered device, so I'm not overly concerned about the power draw; kind of annoying that the 707 doesn't have a switched outlet though. I've found placing the fan in middle/rear section to be the most effective, also have some little rubber nubs on them to absorb potential vibration between it and the Onkyo's chassis.

I believe they do in at least the higher up models, the 1009 for example:
Thanks for the info. Will keep all of this in mind when rendering my decision. However, do you believe (2) fans would work better? Perhaps one on the chassis blowing upward sucking hot air upwards while another blows it away? Just a thought. Of course, that would add $40 dollars to the total cost.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Thanks for the info. Will keep all of this in mind when rendering my decision. However, do you believe (2) fans would work better? Perhaps one on the chassis blowing upward sucking hot air upwards while another blows it away? Just a thought. Of course, that would add $40 dollars to the total cost.
I would expect that partly depends on your cabinet; if the hot air is free to escape / rise, another fan may not make a huge difference.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I would expect that partly depends on your cabinet; if the hot air is free to escape / rise, another fan may not make a huge difference.
Good point. Just a thought.....LOL!!!!!! Thanks for all of your help.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis