speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, as mentioned in another thread I have decided to get a new receiver. The old Integra in just too dated to mess with. Not to mention I have no remote/calibrating mic. I can get a real good deal on a Yammie and/or Onkyo. Been looking very closely at the Yammies. Here is where I need some help. Is there really that much of a difference between the Yammie RX-V673 and the RX-A720? I have done some extensive research and for the life of me do NOT see much of a difference other than the warranty. Hence, 2-years on the RX-V673 whereas the RX-A720 has 3-years respectively. To complicate things further, the RX-V820 really does NOT look to add much more, but there is a BIG price jump. Am I missing something here? Other than a little more power, I just do NOT see a real significant difference between the RX-V673, the RX-A720/RX-A820 other than price. Oh, the 820 also adds muli-point calibration whereas the RX-V673/RX-A720 does not. Not a real big deal to me because my living-room is so small. Perhaps, I should just go with the RX-V673 and save some money?

As for the Onkyo, the TX-NR616 and the TX-NR716 both have my attention. I really like what they both offer. But, have been reading about the reliability issues due to excessive heating. I owned and Onkyo before, but noticed it did get real hot. As such, I send it back and ended up with a Denon instead. Can't quite get the deal on a Denon not like I can on the Yammie/Onkyo. However, I can get the Denon AVR-1913 for $400.00 shipped! So, right now I am confused on which way to go. Please help me sort this out........ Thanks for reading my post.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
BTW, I forgot to mention that I am also considering the Pioneer VSX-1122K and/or the SC-1222K. However, the SC-1222K is a bit out of my budget. It certainly is on the high end....Haha! I also understand that the SC-1222K has a more advanced amp and in nearly identical to its Elite counterpart. Care to chime in? Feel free to do so because I will listen to what you have to say.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
I can't justify spending more on the higher up models of the Yamaha, I think the 673 will be all you need if you decide to go with Yamaha. As far as the Onkyo, heat isn't really an issue if it is well ventilated or you can add an external PC cooling fan. I also can't justify spending more on the 717 over last years 709, same power, pre-amp outs and inputs, multi-point Audyssey XT, I think the 717 adds some bells and whistles but that's about it. I have the 709 in a second setup and it has performed flawlessly. I'm not a huge RC guy but the 709 offers this with eight position XT and dual sub outputs, of course they are not independant outputs as the same signal is passed through each. If it were me I would seriously consider the 673 or 709. I hope some of what I said makes sense, good luck. The 709 has high current pre-amp outs also to drive out board amps should you ever decide to use the them with external amplification, that's a big plus for me, and the heat issues are well controlled with a 200 mm PC fan on top of the 709 chassis.
Cheers Jeff

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would definitely avoid the lower end Onkyo - like the 6xx models. The 7xxx & up Onkyo appears to have better reliability. The Yamaha 673 seems good to me for $348.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I also can't justify spending more on the 717 over last years 709, same power, pre-amp outs and inputs, multi-point Audyssey XT, I think the 717 adds some bells and whistles but that's about it.
The 717 actually takes a huge downgrade in room correction software, down to Audyssey 2EQ from MultEQ XT.

ahblaza

ahblaza

The 717 actually takes a huge downgrade in room correction software, down to Audyssey 2EQ from MultEQ XT.
Thanks Steve, I didn't know that, even more reason to avoid it:eek:
Cheers Jeff

ahblaza

ahblaza

I would definitely avoid the lower end Onkyo - like the 6xx models. The 7xxx & up Onkyo appears to have better reliability. The Yamaha 673 seems good to me for $348.
Where is that $348 price coming from, seriously?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I can't justify spending more on the higher up models of the Yamaha, I think the 673 will be all you need if you decide to go with Yamaha. As far as the Onkyo, heat isn't really an issue if it is well ventilated or you can add an external PC cooling fan. I also can't justify spending more on the 717 over last years 709, same power, pre-amp outs and inputs, multi-point Audyssey XT, I think the 717 adds some bells and whistles but that's about it. I have the 709 in a second setup and it has performed flawlessly. I'm not a huge RC guy but the 709 offers this with eight position XT and dual sub outputs, of course they are not independant outputs as the same signal is passed through each. If it were me I would seriously consider the 673 or 709. I hope some of what I said makes sense, good luck. The 709 has high current pre-amp outs also to drive out board amps should you ever decide to use the them with external amplification, that's a big plus for me, and the heat issues are well controlled with a 200 mm PC fan on top of the 709 chassis.
Cheers Jeff
Thanks Jeff for the advice. I do agree the Yammie RX-V673 offers a big bang for the buck. That is why it is my front-runner if you will. That being said, I am looking into some other options so that I make a well informed decision. The Onkyos do put out a lot of heat and over time really wears on the circuit boards. At least, this is what I have garnered from my research thus far. I did own an Onkyo at one time, but sent it back due to excessive heating even when well ventilated. No real need for outboard amplification since my room is so small.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Where can the Yammie RX-V673 be had for $348? Just curious because that is a better deal that I can get. Do you feel the the RX-A720 "Adventage" is worth upgrading to over the 673? I know there is an extra year of warranty on the 720, as well as, a few other bells and whistles. But, nothing significant imho. Do you agree? BTW, know anything about the Pioneer VSX-1122K/SC-1222K?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Interesting-I did NOT know that regarding the 717. Thanks for pointing that out. How do you feel about reliability issues due to over-heating? It is a significant cause for concern. You agree?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Interesting-I did NOT know that regarding the 717. Thanks for pointing that out. How do you feel about reliability issues due to over-heating? It is a significant cause for concern. You agree?
Depends. I've got a TX-SR707 that unquestionably runs hot; left to its own devices in a relatively unventilated cabinet, it would get burning hot to the touch. Under those conditions, I wouldn't expect it to last very long at all. OTOH, I've got it in a reasonably well ventilated cabinet and have a 120mm fan on top for good measure. It still gets warm to the touch, but not enough to alarm me, and much to the chagrin of the part of me that would just assume upgrade, it keeps on trucking.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Phil, Check Newegg & Fry's...They have some really good deals sometimes.

FWIW, I'd go Yamaha over Onkyo. Onkyo's relative reliability reputation combined with their bad customer service reputation is enough to scare me off. Shame really because they were once a highly respected brand and you get a lot for your dollar.

Yamaha and Denon are the only two on my radar at the moment, and if what I have read is correct, Yamaha has the best reliability of the popular brands. YPAO is not supposed to be as good as Audyssey but is more user adjustable...I think. I haven't been able to play with any of the Audyssey's yet.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
the RX-V820 really does NOT look to add much more, but there is a BIG price jump. Am I missing something here?
It's like Denon, there is more significant price jump going from one that has no 7.2 preouts to one that has. If you can get the RX-A810 for $100 more than the V673 then it is worth it, IMO.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Depends. I've got a TX-SR707 that unquestionably runs hot; left to its own devices in a relatively unventilated cabinet, it would get burning hot to the touch. Under those conditions, I wouldn't expect it to last very long at all. OTOH, I've got it in a reasonably well ventilated cabinet and have a 120mm fan on top for good measure. It still gets warm to the touch, but not enough to alarm me, and much to the chagrin of the part of me that would just assume upgrade, it keeps on trucking.
The need to put a fan on a receiver for that kind of money scares me. Too bad, because I can get a good deal on an Onkyo of my choosing. The 616/716 are both within my budget with the 716 on the "outer limits" shall I say. At this point in time, the Yammies are looking quite good to me. However, so are both the Pioneer 1122K/1222K. Oh decisions decisions.........LOL! Thanks for your input.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Oh, sorry. It was the 573, not the 673. There is an open box 673 from Amazon for $415.
Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Yamaha RX-V673 7.2-Channel Network AV Receiver
I see. Was going to say that is one heck of a deal. The 573 does not have my attention at the moment. Open box buys always scare me because many times items are missing. That is my problem now with the Integra--no remote and/or calibrating mic. I am also aware you do NOT care for refurbished units too much.......right? Accessories4less.com has a good reputation, but there has been some reliability issues too. Just scares me when I really think about it. Thanks for the information.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Phil, Check Newegg & Fry's...They have some really good deals sometimes.

FWIW, I'd go Yamaha over Onkyo. Onkyo's relative reliability reputation combined with their bad customer service reputation is enough to scare me off. Shame really because they were once a highly respected brand and you get a lot for your dollar.

Yamaha and Denon are the only two on my radar at the moment, and if what I have read is correct, Yamaha has the best reliability of the popular brands. YPAO is not supposed to be as good as Audyssey but is more user adjustable...I think. I haven't been able to play with any of the Audyssey's yet.
Yeah, I have to agree with you here. However, I have owned a Denon before and can tell you first hand Audyssey has better sound. I am not too concerned with multi-point measurement because my living-room is very small. But, the RX-V673 has the more advanced form of YPAO albeit Reflective Sound. Not sure what the real difference is, but it sure looks good on paper........LOL! BTW, I am a BIG fan of Newegg and have been watching both Newegg and Fry's. Tigerdirect.com is also one that I keep a close eye on. Thanks for your input.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
It's like Denon, there is more significant price jump going from one that has no 7.2 preouts to one that has. If you get get the RX-A810 for $100 more than the V673 then it is worth it, IMO.
Hey man. Been hoping you would post here. I know you are quite knowledgeable regarding receivers. That being said, can you explain why to me you feel this way with respect to the A820? I could care less about having (2) sub pre-outs. Chances are, I will ONLY be using one. If I need another as I have had in the past, then I will just use a Y-adapter. To be honest, I really don't see much of a difference between the RX-V673 and the A820. I believe they BOTH employ the same exact amps. You agree?

jinjuku

jinjuku

Hey Phil.

You could try what I did. Best Buy may be into the cycle of getting rid of last years model of receiver. To put this in perspective in 2010 I picked up the Denon 4308Ci floor model for $420 out the door. It was still selling for $1600 at that time. Came with full warranty.

G

Grador

Hey man. Been hoping you would post here. I know you are quite knowledgeable regarding receivers. That being said, can you explain why to me you feel this way with respect to the A820? I could care less about having (2) sub pre-outs. Chances are, I will ONLY be using one. If I need another as I have had in the past, then I will just use a Y-adapter. To be honest, I really don't see much of a difference between the RX-V673 and the A820. I believe they BOTH employ the same exact amps. You agree?
Looks like the A adds an extra HDMI out, a front mounted optical input, another analog stereo in, an rs-232 connection [for control], theoretically 5 more watts and don't forget the fifth foot!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis