Buzzing heard when using the Oppo 105

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
<!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]--> Hi Folks,
I am hoping someone can help me.

I recently purchased my first blue ray player (Oppo BD105) my receiver does not support HDMI, so my connections are as follows: HDMI out of the Oppo directly to the TV. 6 analog cables out of the Oppo to my receiver for 5.1 sound. I am also using the dedicated stereo output for CD playback. I noticed last night when watching Skyfall, that during quiet passages of the movie I heard a buzzing. When I paused the movie and listened, the buzzing becomes audible from my listening position at about -25.0 db. The buzzing is heard from all speakers when my receiver is in Multi-channal mode. The same buzzing is heard from the dedicated stereo outputs. I tried moving the player as far away as I could from my receiver (about 6 inches) They are side by side. I tried a heavy duty power cord I have. I also tried separating the cables behind the stand as best I could but it is still somewhat jumbled. I have everything plugged into a Monster Power Center HTS 2000. :mad: Anybody have any ideas?? Thanks.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <![endif]-->

Last edited by a moderator:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You did not have this problem previously or perhaps did not notice it? It almost sounds like a ground loop issue. A power conditioner will not prevent ground loops. It ONLY happens with the Oppo or if you disconnect the Oppo and leave everything else as is also?

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I did not have this problem before I installed the Oppo. My last DVD player was a 10 year old Onkyo that I had connected to my receiver via coaxial cable. My CD player was a Jolida, and the CD input on the receiver was dead quiet with nothing playing. I purchased the Oppo to replace both units. I hear the buzzing now when the Multi-channal or CD input is engaged on the receiver, even if the Oppo is powered off.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
What do you use for TV? I know I had a nasty humming and buzzing noise and it turnout out to be from my cable line. That's usually a pretty good place to start if you have one of those. The humming and buzzing is there no matter what as long as there is power to the thing powering your speakers (receiver or amps).

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
My TV is the Sony HX850. I have a Comcast cable box. Hdmi out direct to TV and coaxial out of cable box to receiver.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Try unscrewing the incoming cable line (the one that goes into the cable box) and see if that removes the noise. If so, that would be good and bad. Good in that you've identified the cause, but sort of bad because it means you need to buy a jensen transformer TRD something or other. If this doesn't help with the noise then it means you have ground loop hum and you'll have a lot of plugging and unplugging to do.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Try unscrewing the incoming cable line (the one that goes into the cable box) and see if that removes the noise. If so, that would be good and bad. Good in that you've identified the cause, but sort of bad because it means you need to buy a jensen transformer TRD something or other. If this doesn't help with the noise then it means you have ground loop hum and you'll have a lot of plugging and unplugging to do.
Looks like I got some work cut out for me tomorrow. Thanks! I appreciate it!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Looks like I got some work cut out for me tomorrow. Thanks! I appreciate it!
Btw, I'm not sure if you know what I was talking about, but the Jensen thing is small, costs about $50 and takes about 45 seconds to install.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Btw, I'm not sure if you know what I was talking about, but the Jensen thing is small, costs about $50 and takes about 45 seconds to install.
Thanks, no I was not aware of this. Is this device installed between the cable line in and the cable box?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
FWIW this is from AH

The most common, and easiest, solution is to add a Cable TV ground isolator. Jensen Transformers has been around for over 30 years and makes one of the best (MSRP $59.95) as it has a flat frequency response from 2MHz - 1300 MHz, spanning the VHF/FM/UHF/CATV spectrum. Why is this important? Well for starters if you plan on using digital cable, a cable modem, or on-demand services you better not get a cheap RF filter from the local electronics store as it will most likely filter out more than you bargained for. In addition, we respect a company who measures their products and is willing to post a frequency response performance graph to back up their claims. Getting a flat frequency response from 2MHz - 1300MHz ensures no loss of signal quality and a great result.

Cheap Solutions that Sound Too Good to Be True - Probably Are
One of the most widely popular methods of eliminating ground loops is to take a 75-ohm to 300-ohm converter, connected to a second matching transformer with two screw terminals on the 300 ohm side, and putting it inline with your cable TV feed. While this might break the ground loop, unless you merely subscribe to basic cable and don't give a hoot about signal quality we'd recommend avoiding this bit of McGuyver magic.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Ok, so I did some rearranging of wires and plugs. I no longer have the sub plugged into the monster power center, but instead plugged it directly into the wall. The buzz can only be heard when the volume of my receiver is turned up to about -17.db and i put my ear up to each speaker. Should I consider this problem resolved, or should keep exploring until I get it dead quiet? Thanks. The 105 is one fantastic machine BTW.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
DID YOU DISCONNECT YOUR CATV FEED?

FWIW this is from AH
Dayton Audio VIT-1 Isolation Transformer 180-075

The downside being it may cause issues if you use that cable feed for internet or other things. I personally had no issues with it, but then I had FIOS for internet which was separate from the cable feed. Effectively a cheater plug for your cable feed, so like I said, not a fix ultimately.

The Dayton VIT-1 virtually eliminates the 60 Hz hum introduced into your home entertainment system through your analog cable or antenna connection, and is usually noticed when connecting a powered subwoofer to your home theater system. A passive design does not affect your analog cable tv signal strength (not recommended for use ondigital cable or cable modem installations). In extreme cases the use of a grounding block may also be necessary. Connect the transformer in-line between your cable line and TV using the female F-connector on the cable side, and the male F-connector on the TV. Operating frequency: 54 MHz to 1 GHz. Note: Interferes with digital cable, cable modem, and satellite TV operation.

Last edited:
little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
DID YOU DISCONNECT YOUR CATV FEED?

Dayton Audio VIT-1 Isolation Transformer 180-075

The downside being it may cause issues if you use that cable feed for internet or other things. I personally had no issues with it, but then I had FIOS for internet which was separate from the cable feed. Effectively a cheater plug for your cable feed, so like I said, not a fix ultimately.

J.Garcia

Thanks, I did just disconnect the cable from the box. Dead Quiet now!! Not sure what I am going do. I have one Comcast cable plug coming into my home. There is a 3-way splitter with one cable going to the cable box, one going to a bedroom cable box, and one going to the modem for internet and phone.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Call Comcast. That's what I did when I had the same issue. It took them a while since they can't charge you for fixing it and thus won't make an appointment, but they should come out and fix it free IMHO.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks, no I was not aware of this. Is this device installed between the cable line in and the cable box?
Yes, between the incoming coax cable and the cable box.
Here is such a device:
Miscellaneous

Before you buy it, experiment first to isolate the cause. Most likely it is a ground loop.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Yes, I'll start with Comcast. Thanks I don't want to install anything that might degrade the signal. This is my first Oppo product, and I am really enjoying it so far. It had to be able to replace my CD player, and so far I think it's going to...

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
follow-up. I called comcast almost a week ago. They <!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]-->Initially told me I would receive a call back to schedule an appt within 24 hours. But after 4 days, I called again. They said, yes we have your ticket open, and then went on to say, there is a problem in my area and they are "working on it" Long story short, they are putting me off...<!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <![endif]-->

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
follow-up. I called comcast almost a week ago. They <!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]-->Initially told me I would receive a call back to schedule an appt within 24 hours. But after 4 days, I called again. They said, yes we have your ticket open, and then went on to say, there is a problem in my area and they are "working on it" Long story short, they are putting me off...<!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <![endif]-->
Unfortunately what comes to mind as a response to this is: Yeah, sounds like a cable company.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis