Denon AH-D7100 Headphones Reviewed

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Denon's new over the ear AH-D7100 headphones are comfortable and elegant in design . They have a warm sound with a slight emphasis in bass while the highs are pristine and clear. The soundstage is wide, making for an enjoyable listening experience. Our video review takes you on a tour of this product and gives you some great audio eye candy (besides Mr. Gash himself) to indulge in.

Discuss "Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac Headphones Video Review" here. Read the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Pat D

Audioholic
Thanks for the review, but I would screen these out based on the frequency response measurements, which are . . . uhhh . . . uneven, really uneven.

DENON AH-D7100 / HeadRoom Audio

Oh well. No accounting for taste.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Thanks for the review, but I would screen these out based on the frequency response measurements, which are . . . uhhh . . . uneven, really uneven.

DENON AH-D7100 / HeadRoom Audio

Oh well. No accounting for taste.
You don't want totally flat frequency response headphones. They would be quite painful to listen to. Also, it's very difficult to properly measure how a headphone couples with a human ear.

Here are the measurements on the Sennheiser HD600s which I consider to be a true reference pair of headphones for reference:
Sennheiser HD 600 - Audiophile Headphones | HeadRoom Audio

Sennheiser HD 600 Headphone Review — Reviews and News from Audioholics

P

Pat D

Audioholic
You don't want totally flat frequency response headphones. They would be quite painful to listen to. Also, it's very difficult to properly measure how a headphone couples with a human ear.

Here are the measurements on the Sennheiser HD600s which I consider to be a true reference pair of headphones for reference:
Sennheiser HD 600 - Audiophile Headphones | HeadRoom Audio

Sennheiser HD 600 Headphone Review — Reviews and News from Audioholics
Did I say that the FR for headphones should be flat? I'm sure the Denon AH-D7100 is very mellow. The are visually very attractive.

Well, the Sennheiser HD 600 costs $400 at HeadRoom, whereas the Denon AH-D7100 costs $1200. Hmmm . . .

My own primary headphones, the Sennheiser HD 598, which were the most beautiful headphones I had ever seen, cost $250 and measure far better than the Denon AH-D7100. They are certainly comfortable and very easy to listen to.

Sennheiser HD598

The Sennheiser HD 280Pro is quite a nice closed headphone for $100 used by a lot of pros, apparently. They are quite good, very clear on voices. They can be unforgiving of some recordings. They apparently can take a lot of abuse.

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro - Full Size Headphones | HeadRoom Audio

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Did I say that the FR for headphones should be flat? I'm sure the Denon AH-D7100 is very mellow. The are visually very attractive.

Well, the Sennheiser HD 600 costs $400 at HeadRoom, whereas the Denon AH-D7100 costs $1200. Hmmm . . .

My own primary headphones, the Sennheiser HD 598, which were the most beautiful headphones I had ever seen, cost $250 and measure far better than the Denon AH-D7100. They are certainly comfortable and very easy to listen to.

Sennheiser HD598

The Sennheiser HD 280Pro is quite a nice closed headphone for $100 used by a lot of pros, apparently. They are quite good, very clear on voices. They can be unforgiving of some recordings. They apparently can take a lot of abuse.

You will get no argument from me there. I love my HD600s. They are hard to beat regardless of price. Sennheiser rules!

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I've never had the chance to hear anything more than the HD595s. I'd like to check the HD600s out one of these days, or a nicer Denon offering like the one in the review. It's been a long time since I've used headphones though...I just use some cheap JBL iems in my cubicle at work.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

I loved my HD280s. They have been through hell and back and still sound great. They do a terrific job of blocking out noise, and sound good connected to anything. I'm sorry I treated them so badly! I have heard more expensive and refined headphones since then, but none that I thought were hugely better. Now I use the Denon AH-D2000s, they sound great, but I don't think they blow the HD280s away despite costing three times as much. Also I had to cover that band that rests on my head with a big fluffy cotton filled piece of fabric otherwise its just too uncomfortable.

W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
I have to agree withi ShadyJ here.

I have listenned to aa handful of Senns and also a couple Denons. I also listen to headphones constantly, made by many other brands.

I don't see Denon "blowing away" the competition at any price point really. Maybe in style and software support (for the Music Mans" but not in overall performance.

Denon makes good headphones, but they are going to lose a lot of sales if they keep charging as much as they do.

I've always been displeased with the level of bass response the sennheisers offer, but this is entirely made up for by how awesome the upper-mid-bass and above are on the headphones.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
I have to agree withi ShadyJ here.

I have listenned to aa handful of Senns and also a couple Denons. I also listen to headphones constantly, made by many other brands.

I don't see Denon "blowing away" the competition at any price point really. Maybe in style and software support (for the Music Mans" but not in overall performance.

Denon makes good headphones, but they are going to lose a lot of sales if they keep charging as much as they do.

I've always been displeased with the level of bass response the sennheisers offer, but this is entirely made up for by how awesome the upper-mid-bass and above are on the headphones.
Have you checked out the sennheiser momentums? I like the style of them and I'm very happy with the bass. May even be a little overemphasized.

W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
Yea I have. Trendy. Not the right kind of bass for me. Louder, not more extended. Momentums seem to be sennheisers response to the Beats.

For 300, you can get much better bass.

But the senns are good headphones and have good style.

It really depends on what kind of stuff you're listening to. The majority of pop edm like skrillex doesn't have really demand as much as some other producers from the bass region. Lots of fantastically mixed midrange and highs along with body shaking lows that are almost inaudible I find mostly with people like Mr. bill and Tipper. I only noticed how much I was missing when I got the heaphones I have.

I have put extensive time in listening to all the phones best buy and circuit city have to offer on my own listening tunes. This always includes skrillex because I'm always trying to compare to pop music. I'm also always trying to find out what the big deal is with him and people like Tristam and Pegboard nerds.

The biggest thing for me seems to be the articulation of harmony throughout the mix. if the mix is off, the sound of the harmony changes. This is why I missed so much in Tipper and Mr. bill.

I REALLY like what sennheiser is putting out there in the 50-100 dollar range. Just great stuff for the price.

W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
Also, i realie most of my experience is coming out of listening to alimited amount of genres of music.

It's just that htese genres seem to exemplify the bass the best to me.

It's just the way I hear things. Might not be the way other people hear things.

On my regular listening time, i listen mostly to acoustic jazz.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis