60 " Plasma on a budget

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Out of the three listed below, which one would you get and why? Does reliability factor in your decision? I don't need network streaming or smart apps. I can do that for cheaper with a Blu Ray player and 3D doesn't appeal to me.

<tbody>
</tbody>
Panasonic TC-P60U50 $1499.
LG 60PA6500
$ 999.
Samsung PN60E530 $1143.
[h=1][/h][h=1][/h]

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would recommend stepping up just a bit to the Panasonic TC-P60ST50 60-Inch plasma. Panasonic offers a very high level of quality for the money as well as a great image. I like my Samsung, but I feel like their cheaper displays really start to lose overall image quality and product build quality.

I will flat out never tell anyone to get an LG. I think their image generally looks good but their built quality is non-existent. I personally know several people who have had LG displays fail on them, and many more with similar complainst online. They have a reported failure rate which is four times higher than Panasonic. So, you gamble on LG every single time and that's not what I would consider money worth gambling.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I would recommend stepping up just a bit to the Panasonic TC-P60ST50 60-Inch plasma. Panasonic offers a very high level of quality for the money as well as a great image. I like my Samsung, but I feel like their cheaper displays really start to lose overall image quality and product build quality.

I will flat out never tell anyone to get an LG. I think their image generally looks good but their built quality is non-existent. I personally know several people who have had LG displays fail on them, and many more with similar complainst online. They have a reported failure rate which is four times higher than Panasonic. So, you gamble on LG every single time and that's not what I would consider money worth gambling.
Is LG still making their own Plasma's? I know many companies are sub contracting to Panasonic now. Is Plasma still king of the TVs?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Is LG still making their own Plasma's? I know many companies are sub contracting to Panasonic now. Is Plasma still king of the TVs?
Plasma still delivers the best contrast ratio and can deliver the best image quality. LCDs can do a remarkable job, but have their traditional failings, but to get that level of quality you are jumping a fair bit on price. That's the real headache. The $1,500 Samsung LCD is not as good looking as their $1,500 plasma.

I don't know if LG is making their glass, but they assemble their displays which is the problem. Their designs just aren't up to par with the other guys.

S

Sgratien

Audioholic Intern
It is my opinion that Panasonic does make the best plasmas. I currently have 2. Their customer service is excellent as well. I agree with bmxrtix about stepping up to the st if you can. But, the u series is a great value. Check your price though. I just bought a tc-p60u50 for 999 on amazon last week. Now that most/all new led/lcd panels are using glossier type finishes, there is almost no reason not to go with plasma

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If you are not in the rush to get it I say wait a bit for sale on ST50. I snagged my 55ST30 on sale last year for $980
If I heard right, ST50 has same panel as VT30.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I think 3db is in Canada, so he won't have the same pricing we get in the US D:

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I think 3db is in Canada, so he won't have the same pricing we get in the US D:
I heard there is word "sale" in Canadian... I'm not sure but I think it's same thing as "sale" in english :p

Edit: I had 42" LG Plasma which failed on me :( LG - never again

Last edited:
adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I can attest to never recommending an LG product. My plasma was in the shop once just before the warranty was out and now died over this past weekend. Total age on the TV was just over 5yrs. The LG I purchased for my parents has been giving them issues now that the warranty is up and sometimes will not turn off unless you unplug it.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I heard there is word "sale" in Canadian... I'm not sure but I think it's same thing as "sale" in english :p
I've never seen the Pannies go on sale or sail :p here in Canada. I sit 11' from the display so I'm not prepared to go to a higher model and sacrifice screen size. I ill just have to be patient and wait

M

Mopkins

Enthusiast
I'm putting in my votes for Panasonic and Samsung plasma sets. I know Panasonic has more of a following here, and for good reason as they are pretty consistently well reviewed. I was on the fence between a top end Samsung and mid level Panasonic and ended up with the Samsung due to an amazing discount at the time. Overall I cannot complain as the picture is awesome. I will add this though, what ever set you get, look around on the forum for professional ISF calibration settings for your specific set. HIGHLY recommended. Out of the box my tv was great, but after calibration I was astounded by the difference. I think, either way you are going to end up with a nice TV:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis