Windows 7 or Windows 8 for HTPC?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'm thinking of replacing one of my HTPCs with something newer/better, and all the new pc's come with Windows 8. I have zero experience with Windows 8, and love Win. 7. Does win. 8 have the same homegroup features that win. 7 has, or is it completely different? For those who have used both operating systems, which one is better suited to a media pc?

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
My understanding is Windows 8 does not come with Windows Media Center (if that matters to you - I have WMC7 on both my HTPCs).

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My understanding is Windows 8 does not come with Windows Media Center (if that matters to you - I have WMC7 on both my HTPCs).
^^^ This is correct. Windows 8 comes with free downgrade rights to Win 7
Free linux/xbmc might (or might not) be better alternative, unless you intend to use ocur tuner - it only works with win7 mce.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
I cannot stand windows 8 for anything at all, so I say windows 7.

^^^ This is correct. Windows 8 comes with free downgrade rights to Win 7
Free linux/xbmc might (or might not) be better alternative, unless you intend to use ocur tuner - it only works with win7 mce.
IIRC that's only for windows 8 pro.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
My take is that unless you insist on using a touch screen, Win7 is better than Win8, all day, every day.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I likely won't be using media center, and definitely won't be using a touch screen. Just didn't know about the win 8 interface, and networking features. For playback I'll be using powerdvd 11, VLC, media player classic home cinema x64, windows media player, stuff like that.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
i downloaded win 8 when it came out and was so cheap on my laptop. the hard drive on the laptop then fried, and it was covered by warranty so i got "downgraded" back to win 7. having had them both back to back i would sooner be beaten with a bat then go for win 8. i use win 7 -64 on my HTPC and it's the way to go IMO.

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
Get with the times. Win 8 is a modern operating system. Even if you don't like the Metro UI you can just go to the regular desktop with a push of a button. The boot up time in my win 8 laptop is less than 15 seconds and I don't even have a SSD. Everything runs faster in Win 8.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Get with the times. Win 8 is a modern operating system. Even if you don't like the Metro UI you can just go to the regular desktop with a push of a button.
Not quite. The jackasses left off the Start menu. MSFT is lost.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Get with the times. Win 8 is a modern operating system. Even if you don't like the Metro UI you can just go to the regular desktop with a push of a button. The boot up time in my win 8 laptop is less than 15 seconds and I don't even have a SSD. Everything runs faster in Win 8.
It's extraordinarily cumbersome, and likes to jump back into metro for no apparent reason. None of the fancy features that were advertised work very well. I'm willing to wait 60 seconds for my system boot so that it works properly.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
I likely won't be using media center, and definitely won't be using a touch screen.
If you're not going with a touchscreen I'd probably stick with Win 7, not saying Win 8 is bad but it is different.
I'm not sure how many of the programs you are planing to use have a Metro interface yet, that would be a good thing to check out because if they all run in the old desktop there would be no real point to get Win 8.

I don't have any problems with most of the common reported "issues" with Win 8 but I was a bit disappointed that the full Aero theme was no longer there, kind of liked the glass.

Steve

P.S. I would consider Win 8 w/ touchscreen to be a cool HTPC but you're likely to pay a price for early adoption right now. I do like the ease of Win8 on my giant tablet from an end user perspective, a few taps or swipes makes for easy access.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the replies, looks like I'll be sticking with Win. 7 for now.

B

bilesteve

Enthusiast
I downloaded the Windows 8

Thanks for the replies, looks like I'll be sticking with Win. 7 for now.
I downloaded the upgrade to Windows 8 and got add on for Media Center free from Microsoft. I do not use a touchscreen but my same media keyboard and have had no problems with either, other than the initial learning curve at the beginning since, as you know, it does not work the same as Windows 7. Now, with practice, it is fine to me. :)

Daniel Fletcher

Daniel Fletcher

Audiophyte
If you consider yourself tech savvy, i would suggest you to go with windows 8. Since all the OS tend to emulate the tablet looking style, probably the future is there, and it's not bad to be an early adapter sometimes.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
I'm using a Mac mini. Built in HDMI port, combo optical/analog input/output jacks for those that want a dedicated hookup to a receiver, an easy to use underscan setting for the TV (the DLP is strange when it comes to computer hookups), built in WiFi, Bluetooth, and it works with the iPod dock remote. Not to mention it is very quiet, and takes very little room. :cool:

Oh, this was about 7 vs 8.
I think that 8 probably has better memory management over 7, but other than that, I've used 7 more than 8. Since my next pc isn't too far off, I'll have to make a choice soon.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Just got my new media pc today and it came with windows 8 on it. I played with it for a few mins. and thought it was terrible, so I promptly did a clean install of windows 7, and now all is well.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
If a user has no bias toward an operating system- Win8 is light years ahead of win7 in terms of intuitive use and interface. It also betters Win7 in almost every level of performance.

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
If a user has no bias toward an operating system- Win8 is light years ahead of win7 in terms of intuitive use and interface. It also betters Win7 in almost every level of performance.
Absolutely. Good post.

O

Oliver11

Audiophyte
Yeah this is goos suggestion i am also want to say you that but i think i have not need to say anythign after this great suggestions anyways you should follow any one from this thread and i am also get the ideas ...
thanks for this

jinjuku

jinjuku

Modern enough that I'm having to install most non M$ apps in local user mode. Steve Ballmer sucks. Modern enough that you have to kill a chicken, burn a cigar, and poor a shot of booze to find out where to turn off the machine or put it into sleep mode. Steve Ballmer sucks. Modern enough that you can't simply type in CMD and right click the result and run with elevated priv's. Steve Ballmer Sucks.

User management sucks the list goes on.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis