Your expert suggestions for subwoofer please!

M

martian63

Audiophyte
I need to get a subwoofer (budget) that would go well with

- 70% movies, 30% music
- 12 x 18 x 8 carpeted living room
- JBL Northridge E90 Front R/L
- Infinity Beta C360 Center
- JBL Northridge E10 Real L/R

Subwoofers under consideration

1. JBL STUDIO 150P - $161.24
2. BIC America F12 - $187.00
3. CSX12 Mark II - $279.00
4. Klipsch Synergy Sub-10 - $ 214.99
5. 2-Velodyne VX-11 - $247.89

Please take into consideration "bang for the buck" factor. Hsu STF-2 may be better but total cost would also amount to $450 with tax and shipping

Thank you!

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think all of them will work. The three 10" subs (JBL, Velo, Klipsch) may not quite have the output to fill a mid size room with earth shattering levels, but none of the ones listed really extend much below 25Hz anyway. If cost is a key factor: JBL. If not, I might try to swing the Cadence as it should have no problem with a room that size and is 12" so good output, but still not below 25Hz.

M

martian63

Audiophyte
I think all of them will work. The three 10" subs (JBL, Velo, Klipsch) may not quite have the output to fill a mid size room with earth shattering levels, but none of the ones listed really extend much below 25Hz anyway. If cost is a key factor: JBL. If not, I might try to swing the Cadence as it should have no problem with a room that size and is 12" so good output, but still not below 25Hz.
That was a fast reply! :)

Velodyne is offering two VX-11 at a total price of $247.89. If I put them both, will it be any better? (still won't go below 33 Hertz, no matter how many I put in). I like warm vacuum tube kind of music (but when it comes to movies love some lows without the echoing booms and vibrations). JBL's low is 27 whereas Velo is 33, Klipsch 28, Cadence 25 (technically, I'll be paying $118 more for 2 Hz difference) and Bic 25. Are there others I should consider as well?

For now, going towards JBL but for it's wife-annoying shape (may be that's why the price is discounted).

Thanks you your reply!

M

martian63

Audiophyte
Thank you for your reply.

Decided not to go for JBL 150P though the price was perfect. Went to Fry's to check it out before putting in my Credit card details and I hated the lingering resonance (the echo in dome effect). The 300 watt power simply amplifies that imperfection (for me). However, for that price, it is a great deal.

I also realized, I probably need a 12" and the lower Hz. Low for CSX12 Mark II as well as OSD is 25 Hz. OSD PS 10" is $159.50. Should I go for OSD instead of Cadence CSX12 Mark II @ $279? Is OSD better than JBL in terms of overall performance? Any 24 Hz suggestions?

Thanks!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Fry's is just about the worst place to demo anything, so I'd say the JBL was probably not setup correctly AND possibly damaged, because that is the case at least 9 out of 10 times for me when I go there. The review said the JBL was quite clean sounding with little overhang, but I have not heard it myself yet. If my Frys has it, I will check it out this weekend.

I've never even heard of OSD, so I would say risky at best. That sub looks to be a bandpass design so I won't expect great things from it sound wise.

It sounds like you are hoping to get a bit of both extension and clean output at this price point and that's going to be fairly difficult to get. You are also correct about the Velodynes - you will get more output in the range they are good for and that's all.

Here's my write up of the CSX-12: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/subwoofers/75293-cadence-csx-12-mkii.html

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
OSD is a real company and completely legit, so not risky at all. The sub isn't bandpass either, it's bass reflex. Having personally heard and reviewed both the CSX-12 and PS-10 I would choose the Cadence myself. It won't do much below 25Hz, but it's the better value. Another one to consider is the Klipsch RW-12d. It's $350 now -- which still isn't a bad price -- but Newegg seems to have a sale like once a month, and when they do it's only $300. That's a really good price for it.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Save your money up and get an SVS SB-1000. You have real speakers give them a real subwoofer.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you are at that point, you might as well get a Hsu VTF2 or Rythmik FV12. Both will be worlds better than a SB1000 and STF2, while only costing a little bit more than a SB1000.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Rythmik LV-12R. The FV-12 is discontinued AFAIK.

I would not say "worlds" better than the SB-1000 based on the reviews so far, but it is sealed and will likely give up some output/extension at the bottom compared to the LV-12R or the VTF-2. A tradeoff would be the SVS PB-1000 which is vented and the same price.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The SB1000 was made for situations where a size is a major factor, but if you can spend just a bit more and handle a larger sub, the SB1000 is not a good choice. I don't think the PB1000 would be competitive in performance with the Rythmik or Hsu subs either.

manwithnocape

manwithnocape

Audioholic
i like your set up so far. honestly, it is a real system. but when you are looking at subs, remember it is a "buyer beware" market. just like loudspeakers are subjective, so are subs. i like LOTS of bass, i like it to get everywhere, and i like it tight and musical, so im kinda into the 18's sealed. but if you are thinking about running a smaller sub, think proximity. get it closer to where you are listening.
if i was hamstrung to a budget, i would save a bit and double up on the BIC (for my own tastes). it digs deeper-ish and the price is great.
if i had the option, i would save up and enter the 2-3000 dollar range and get something with an 18..... if it comes with DSP you can always tune it.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Rythmik LV-12R. The FV-12 is discontinued AFAIK.
It is indeed, and has been for months now.

I would not say "worlds" better than the SB-1000 based on the reviews so far, but it is sealed and will likely give up some output/extension at the bottom compared to the LV-12R or the VTF-2. A tradeoff would be the SVS PB-1000 which is vented and the same price.
I should be able to answer that question shortly; I have both an SB1000 and PB1000 now, and will be getting my LV12R in a few days. I've already put the PB and SB through their paces, so I know what they can/can't do, and shortly I should have an idea of what the LV is capable of as well.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I should be able to answer that question shortly; I have both an SB1000 and PB1000 now, and will be getting my LV12R in a few days. I've already put the PB and SB through their paces, so I know what they can/can't do, and shortly I should have an idea of what the LV is capable of as well.

Interested to hear the feedback on the LV12R as I am looking for a new sub for my other house and that one seems to fit the bill best for me.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Interested to hear the feedback on the LV12R as I am looking for a new sub for my other house and that one seems to fit the bill best for me.
I won't be doing the actual review for a while, because I have a few others in front of it (I evaluate them in the order they're received). However, as soon as I get a new unit I do run it for a few hours just to make sure it's not a DOA, so I can give you a preliminary assessment based upon that if you'd like.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, preliminary thoughts would be fine. I figured a full review might take some time, but I am also not in a rush :) PM me that info if you don't want to post that info up until the review.

M

martian63

Audiophyte
If you are at that point, you might as well get a Hsu VTF2 or Rythmik FV12. Both will be worlds better than a SB1000 and STF2, while only costing a little bit more than a SB1000.
A Hsu may not work for me 'cause my receiver (Denon 2312CI) can handle 8 ohms not 4 ohms (Hsu subs).

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
A Hsu may not work for me 'cause my receiver (Denon 2312CI) can handle 8 ohms not 4 ohms (Hsu subs).
Lol, well then it's a good thing your receiver does not have to power the sub! All of these subs come with their own amplifiers so their impedance isn't a factor.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
A powered subwoofer is completely self-contained, with the internal amplifier matched to the specifications of the driver. There is no correlation between your receiver and subwoofer as far as impedance is concerned, so you can purchase whichever unit you'd like.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis