Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
My humble system:

TV: Samsung UN46EH6000
Electronics: Onkyo TX-SR707, Emotiva XPA-200, Some Random Sony BR Player, XBox Kinect
Speakers: Klipsch RF-5s Mains, RC-35 Center, RF-15s Surrounds, SVS PB13U Subwoofer

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Pitch Perfect I see :D Love that movie.

Everything looks great, clean and organized. Love the in wiring. I know Gene has said he isn't a fan of the tower surrounds, how do you like them? I think the RF-15's were a good choice. The woofers are nice and high on the tower and nothing is lower down to avoid some muffling in case anything gets put in front of them.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Pitch Perfect I see :D Love that movie.
Good eye :D

Everything looks great, clean and organized. Love the in wiring.
Thanks! It's come a long way from this:

Same room too.

I know Gene has said he isn't a fan of the tower surrounds, how do you like them? I think the RF-15's were a good choice. The woofers are nice and high on the tower and nothing is lower down to avoid some muffling in case anything gets put in front of them.
It's funny, in certain aspects the RF-15s are probably the better design versus the RF-5s (single piece front baffle, woofer placement, etc). Regarding towers as surrounds, Gene's thoughts do hold water. In my case though, the sweet spot is about six feet away from either surround, so localization isn't a major problem, and I think they pull off the role quite well from that position. Since it's usually just me and the wife, it works out. Still, I'd consider in the next system iteration using dedicated surrounds.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Holy crap that's come a long way. Knowing where it came from makes it look even better :)

I definitely think there's something to be said for both. I love the increased FR response towers provide, but the trade off is localization as you mentioned. I definitely think using dedicated surrounds is worth a try since I noticed a pretty big difference when I switch. Right now I have these rear surrounds a friend loaned me that are tower surrounds. I love them and think it's too bad more companies don't make something like this. I know a lot of guys around here don't think very much of the surround speakers or putting a lot of money into them, but walter (walter duque here on the forum) had me over and completely changed my mind with a demo of his system.

Anyways, enough rambling :eek:. The system and room look awesome. :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
... but I like welfare wood. :D

Who did the room over? Nice going on the binding post wall plates. That's the sh!t right there. Did you just put a layer of drywall on top of those ceiling tiles or did you strip them?

Looks good. TV's a little high.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
... but I like welfare wood. :D
It certainly gave the space a nice homey feel, but the wife didn't appreciate the look for some reason... :D (I'll let more creative/demented minds comment on your affinity for "welfare wood").

Who did the room over? Nice going on the binding post wall plates. That's the sh!t right there. Did you just put a layer of drywall on top of those ceiling tiles or did you strip them?
A crew that's done several jobs for my family (did a kitchen for a cousin, couple bathrooms for my parents, etc); they actually remodeled the rest of the house before we moved in. The basement was the last piece of the puzzle. Ceiling tiles were stripped, as was the wood paneling, and the whole thing was re-framed and got some badly needed insulation.

Looks good. TV's a little high.
It is a little on the high side, but it's also a bit higher than it looks because the ceiling is only 7 feet. I'd change it, but
A. I'm lazy. :D
B. The spot where the mount is bolted is well reinforced, so I could hang off the thing and it'd probably hold.

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
Steve I hope you don't hang off it, if it fell it would be a bit of a laugh, like when my mates rear high surround fell and hit me on the head

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Steve I hope you don't hang off it, if it fell it would be a bit of a laugh, like when my mates rear high surround fell and hit me on the head
Well it isn't on my to do list :D I don't drink either, so the odds are pretty low.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
(I'll let more creative/demented minds comment on your affinity for "welfare wood").
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who instantly thought of that. :D I was going to comment earlier, but I'm more demented than creative. :eek:

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Ohh please, when the time comes that you want some attention for your next Amazon video review, you'll come running :p
Okay...fair enough. :D Then again, I think that I get more helpful votes from drunk people. :p

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Okay...fair enough. :D Then again, I think that I get more helpful votes from drunk people. :p
I wouldn't count on it. I know if I were drunk, I'd be doing something other than watching video reviews of a juicer :D

Daniel Fletcher

Daniel Fletcher

Audiophyte
Not humble at all Steve, congrats and shoot for the stars with your next one.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Want me to come hang on your TV?
It would make for an interesting photo op, but I'll have to pass at this time :p

OTOH, my receiver could be a good target for that kind of testing.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Well, if anything changes... haha.. Nice setup, though... I really like Klipsch gear... How far is it from front to rear wall? Any plans for room treatments? Despite the stereotype that its the horn loaded drivers that make Klipsch refs seem bright to most people, its probably more in the midrange and coming from the woofer- regardless, taming a room they live in can be considerably beneficial. Nice room, Steve. Continue to shoot for the stars. I felt like that statement needed echoing. Really can't hear it enough.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Well, if anything changes... haha.. Nice setup, though... I really like Klipsch gear... How far is it from front to rear wall? Any plans for room treatments? Despite the stereotype that its the horn loaded drivers that make Klipsch refs seem bright to most people, its probably more in the midrange and coming from the woofer- regardless, taming a room they live in can be considerably beneficial. Nice room, Steve. Continue to shoot for the stars. I felt like that statement needed echoing. Really can't hear it enough.
Thanks! Front to rear is about 24 feet, and its about 13 feet from side to side. I had tossed around the idea of room treatments for a while, but the wife isn't exactly interested, even with the artsier treatments. The best I can do is try to intelligently arrange furniture, which I'd like to believe I've done :D

Regarding the Klipsch Ref sound, I can understand how some might find them bright/boom & tizz. Uncorrected, they simply sound empty compared to my bedroom setup. OTOH, with Audyssey to balance them out, I think they hold their own pretty well.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
PS: Naturally my long term plans involve shooting for the stars. I just have to stop drooling at the sky to figure out which one I want to aim for...and then figure out a way to pay for the trip :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis