ATI AT602 Look inside

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
I just wanted to show what this little amp looks like inside, at 32 pounds 60 watts RMS, it feels like a brick with the weight evenly distributed on the chassis. This is not a review as I'm just now about to hook it up and thought I would share what over built looks like for a 60 watt amp. I also compared it to my old Onkyo TX-SR702, eight years running flawlessly, the current model is the 718 which is almost 10 pounds less than the 702, how things have changed and also stayed the same. Enjoy
PS: I forgot to mention the ATI is B-Stock :D

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not a big fan of the ATI outer aesthetics.

But wow, in this case the ugly is only skin deep. You can tell that is a well thought out and laid out piece of equipment.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
My AT602 has been doing a great job in my video system. I also used some adapters to plug it into my audio system, and it drove the Salon2s so well that I couldn't tell the difference between it and my usual AT3000 amp at my normal listening levels. I'm sure if I really pushed it there would be an audible difference, but as long as you only need about 60-90 watts this is a pretty nice little amp for the price.

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I gotta ask, what's the deal on their pre/pros?
They've exited, they're just selling off old inventory. No HDMI = no way, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:
ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
This is pretty cool from them too, for the ambitious types
Bang & Olufsen ICEpower 50ASX2 module - Electronic Parts

I gotta ask, what's the deal on their pre/pros? Good but dated? Did they just give up on the battle to stay current? This seems to be a deep discount. Would an LCD screen on your pro really be useful?
ATI ATP7700 Preamp Processor (120/240V) - A/V Processors
yeah slipp that ICE module caught my attention, there are endless possibilities for as you say the ambitious, well that leaves me out, but this little amp is quite the performer at any price let alone what I stole it for, I saw no indication as why it would be B-Stock, none. This amp runs cool as a cucumber and dead solid quiet even with the three pronged grounded plug, I thought for sure there would be some hum, nope. Thanks guys.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My AT602 has been doing a great job in my video system. I also used some adapters to plug it into my audio system, and it drove the Salon2s so well that I couldn't tell the difference between it and my usual AT3000 amp at my normal listening levels. I'm sure if I really pushed it there would be an audible difference, but as long as you only need about 60-90 watts this is a pretty nice little amp for the price.
I'm powering my dual RBH SX-1010N subs with the AT6012, and they sound great as well. ATI amps are arc welders. :D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
They've exited, they're just selling off old inventory. No HDMI = no way, at least as far as I'm concerned.
Yeah, I agree. But if they get much cheaper, it could be worth consideration as just a music only pre.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Looks like a very nicely laid out & overbuilt piece of equipment. That thing weighs as much as my XPA-200, and judging by the picture, it looks like they put it to use instead of a 2" thick front plate.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
It's just layed out so neat and clean, no superfluous parts, large transformer and caps.

That almost looks like it is approaching the build quality of the Parasound Halo series. Not quite, but almost. But, even at that, I see some things that I like better on the ATI.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Looks great, Jeff!

Btw, you all had me shopping for B-stock ATI amps again last night. :)

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Looks great, Jeff!

Well you know, the receiver that powers the stereo setup in my in my bedroom is dying, so I could transfer the XPA-200 upstairs with a preamp and then go ATI in the HT. The sad part is that the thought has crossed my mind.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Looks great, Jeff!

You have been talking about ICE modules. Those are good prices, but you have to shove it into your own chasis and it doesn't seem like you are up for that though.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry for the continued hijack, Jeff, but...

You have been talking about ICE modules. Those are good prices, but you have to shove it into your own chasis and it doesn't seem like you are up for that though.
Those are nice prices, and from the description, it looked to me like all that it needs is a chassis - is that true? I like the ICE modules because they are lighter weight - that's about it. Granted, the NHT that I got had something(s) wrong with it, but it actually ran hotter than my Emotivas. That was odd to me - the ICE modules shouldn't run hot, right? Anyway, 50W/channel is less than I'd want, but you had me considering those last night, too. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's just layed out so neat and clean, no superfluous parts, large transformer and caps.

That almost looks like it is approaching the build quality of the Parasound Halo series. Not quite, but almost. But, even at that, I see some things that I like better on the ATI.
Considering the fact that ATI makes amps for Theta Digital, Cary Audio, B&K, Lexicon, and Mark Levinson, that's no surprise.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
you all had me shopping for B-stock ATI amps again last night. :)
Just one of these days. :D

Which ATI amps are you looking at?

Sometimes they go @ 50% off MSRP. :D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Considering the fact that ATI makes amps for Theta Digital, Cary Audio, B&K, Lexicon, and Mark Levinson, that's no surprise.
Yeah, yeah. You say that, but then there are some things about these other "high end" amps that I don't care for. A good example is that some of the Levison's seem to be difficult to find replacement parts for. Why bother, you are setting yourself up for a huge headache in the future. I would guess that these are probably the amps actually made by Levison, and not the ones outsourced to ATI.

Anyway, my point is not to attach much significance to the name brand. Sure, it feels good and gives you bragging rights to own an amp from an upper end company. But a robust power supply, good cooling, readily available parts, and good measurements are far more important than that name badge. I'm sure this is your opinion as well?

I've been reading up on a few power amplifier construction manuals with measurements, schematics, parts lists, etc. I feel pretty confident that following some of those designs that anyone could build an amp that will measure better than just about anything commercially available, for a lot less $ than anything commercially available. By not being forced into making compromises to try to push a product to market at a certain price point, you can focus on building yourself a quality product. Now, it will measure better and perform better, but will it make an audible difference? Most likely not for the majority of users. But that really isn't a concern of mine.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, yeah. You say that, but then there are some things about these other "high end" amps that I don't care for. A good example is that some of the Levison's seem to be difficult to find replacement parts for. Why bother, you are setting yourself up for a huge headache in the future. I would guess that these are probably the amps actually made by Levison, and not the ones outsourced to ATI.

Anyway, my point is not to attach much significance to the name brand. Sure, it feels good and gives you bragging rights to own an amp from an upper end company. But a robust power supply, good cooling, readily available parts, and good measurements are far more important than that name badge. I'm sure this is your opinion as well?

I've been reading up on a few power amplifier construction manuals with measurements, schematics, parts lists, etc. I feel pretty confident that following some of those designs that anyone could build an amp that will measure better than just about anything commercially available, for a lot less $ than anything commercially available. By not being forced into making compromises to try to push a product to market at a certain price point, you can focus on building yourself a quality product. Now, it will measure better and perform better, but will it make an audible difference? Most likely not for the majority of users. But that really isn't a concern of mine.
I don't think DIY amps will be any better in terms of actual SQ.

I think a $300 Crown XLS amp (550W 2ohm/ 350W 4ohm/ 215W 8ohm) will sound just as good as any amp, although it won't be dead silent like a bulletproof ATI amp.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis