SW acting strangely, I think?

F

flycaster

Audioholic Intern
The Paradigm PDR-10 is hooked to the Yamaha RXV800 via RCA cable, Sub-out to LFE in. All other speakers are set to small with Subwoofer chosen for the bass out put below 88Hz as I want the SW to handle the bass below 88Hz (as set in the Yammy). When calibrating the bass, I noticed that increasing the sub's volume AND increasing the cross-over also will increase the sound from the sub. I thought that the cross-over when controlled by the AVR sets the cross-over at 88Hz and doesn't allow for higher bass sounds to occur. My wiring is correct, but it is my belief that only moving the volume knob should change the sound output from the SW????

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
The Paradigm PDR-10 is hooked to the Yamaha RXV800 via RCA cable, Sub-out to LFE in. All other speakers are set to small with Subwoofer chosen for the bass out put below 88Hz as I want the SW to handle the bass below 88Hz (as set in the Yammy). When calibrating the bass, I noticed that increasing the sub's volume AND increasing the cross-over also will increase the sound from the sub. I thought that the cross-over when controlled by the AVR sets the cross-over at 88Hz and doesn't allow for higher bass sounds to occur. My wiring is correct, but it is my belief that only moving the volume knob should change the sound output from the SW????
Where did you have the crossover on the subwoofer set, before calibrating? When setting the crossover through the AVR, the crossover on the subwoofer should be set its maximum and left there. If it is somewhere below max, you could have a situation of cascading crossovers attenuating the signal.

F

flycaster

Audioholic Intern
Where did you have the crossover on the subwoofer set, before calibrating? When setting the crossover through the AVR, the crossover on the subwoofer should be set its maximum and left there. If it is somewhere below max, you could have a situation of cascading crossovers attenuating the signal.
I had the xover set at around 90Hz. I will recalibrate with it set at 150Hz (max). However, I thought that by selecting subwooofer on the Yammy speaker control settings and having the xover set at 88, that this disables the SW's xover control dial??? That is, I thought that with this setting, that manipulating the SW's xover dial wouldn't do anything and that all bass sounds would only come from the SW???

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I had the xover set at around 90Hz. I will recalibrate with it set at 150Hz (max). However, I thought that by selecting subwooofer on the Yammy speaker control settings and having the xover set at 88, that this disables the SW's xover control dial??? That is, I thought that with this setting, that manipulating the SW's xover dial wouldn't do anything and that all bass sounds would only come from the SW???
No, setting the crossover in the AVR will not disable the one in the subwoofer. That's why you need to set it all the way up, so that it won't interfere with the AVR crossover. By turning it up all the way, it will play whatever frequencies sent to it that are below 150Hz. If the AVR crossover is set at 88Hz, frequencies below that are what will be passed to, and played by, the subwoofer.

A

Actran

Audioholic
Also ensure that, on your AVR, you set the sub to LFE only rather than LFE + Main and that it is set as a "large" speaker. If you have it set as small or to play the main tracks too that can override your crossover setting on some AVRs

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Also ensure that, on your AVR, you set the sub to LFE only rather than LFE + Main and that it is set as a "large" speaker. If you have it set as small or to play the main tracks too that can override your crossover setting on some AVRs
I'm not following you at all.:confused: Why would your crossover setting be overridden by setting "LFE + Main". If that happens, there is something wrong with the AVR, as far as I'm concerned (Or, the operator;)).

A

Actran

Audioholic
It wouldn't override it to the sub, but would override it to the towers if they were set to large for some reason. Not specifically relevant to his sub's crossover knob, but could confuse what's getting louder and from where.

Set all speakers (except sub) to small, set sub large, set LFE output to LFE only to simplify things.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Your belief is not entirely correct. The low pass crossover in the LFE of your receiver, is 4th order, 24 db per octave. So if you set your LFE crossover to 88 Hz then the sub will be 24 db down at 176 Hz, but only 12 db down at 132 Hz. At 12 db down there is still significant output form the sub at 136 Hz. The out put from your sub does not become insignificant until around 180 Hz. No crossover is brick wall.

T

twoeyedbob

Audioholic
Strictly speaking i'm not helping much here
But i had a pdr 10 .....
Unless it was turned down fairly low ,it made all sort's
Of weird noises
Poor construction and not enough power
It was only really capable of helping out the main spkr's
As opposed to really dealing with a .1 channel
Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
It wouldn't override it to the sub, but would override it to the towers if they were set to large for some reason. Not specifically relevant to his sub's crossover knob, but could confuse what's getting louder and from where.

Set all speakers (except sub) to small, set sub large, set LFE output to LFE only to simplify things.
Well, whether you set your mains to large or small, set LFE only, or LFE + Mains, that has no bearing on how the crossover on the subwoofer should be set. Those settings are determined by the chacteristics of the mains and subwoofer, and personal preference. It isn't a hard and fast rule to set the mains to small.

When using the LFE input on a subwoofer and employing the AVR's crossover, set the subwoofer's own crossover to max. Simple as that.

F

flycaster

Audioholic Intern
When using the LFE input on a subwoofer and employing the AVR's crossover, set the subwoofer's own crossover to max. Simple as that.

Bottom line: Re-calibrated with Sub's LFE set to Max, AVR to sub via LFE, all speakers set to small (sub can't be set to small/large), enjying the sound. thanks, all.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Simple, right. Some subwoofers by using the LFE input auto disables the sub's Xover, but when in doubt always set sub's Xover to the max setting and enjoy.
Cheers jeff

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis