Funk Audio 18.2 Dual 18" Sealed Subwoofer Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Funk Audio, a relative newcomer in the ID subwoofer marketplace has just put its competition in checkmate. The Funk Audio 18.2 subwoofer is their latest and most advanced subwoofer design. It was designed to provide the ultimate in power, sound quality, and output, in a package so compact the amplification system has to be separate from the subwoofer itself. In Power Level Two configuration, will pump 9,600 watts into the dual 18" drivers (if you have enough wall current) allowing you to hit an ear drum busting 134 dB (2 meter GP). This is the kind of sub that will surely shatter Grandpa Simpsons teeth. With dual 4.5" voice coils, 44lb neodymium motor structures and 3" pk-pk excursion custom built drivers we have little reason to doubt the output claims of this subwoofer. Do you want us to review this beast? Let us know in the forums.

Discuss "Funk Audio 18.2 Dual 18" Sealed Subwoofer Preview" here. Read the article.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Ohh I can't imagine why anyone would want to see a review of this :D

With that kind of rated output, I'm mostly curious to see how it holds up against the Danley DTS-10.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
Oh Canada, our home and native land, true patriot love, in all thy sons command!

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Well, that blows the Revel out of the water.

They're also having a sale right now on the 18.3, adding to my temptation.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, that blows the Revel out of the water.

They're also having a sale right now on the 18.3, adding to my temptation.
The F18.0 has 126dB max output vs the F18.3 which has 124dB max output. You would still go for the 18.3 ? :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would like a head-to-head F18.0 vs F18.2 vs Rhythm2 vs JL vs SVS vs Paradigm. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Huh? Their website says the 18.3 has as much output as two 18.0s.
F18.3 spec:
Variable tuning; 17-23hz, 15-21hz with curved sided option
+/-3db variable from 13-30hz, to 40-150hz, customizable, contact us for more information
124db maximum output at 2m ground plane

F18.0 spec:
Sealed
+/-3db variable from 10-30hz, to 40-500hz, customizable, contact us for more information
126db maximum output at 2m ground plane

So not only does the F18.0 have higher max output, it also goes lower to 10Hz. The F18.3 goes down to 13Hz. :D

Maybe it's a typo. :D

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I was not aware that the TSAD were Funk Audio's in house drivers. Very impressive!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm thinking all of this speculation on our parts can ONLY be settled and satisfied by a thorough Audioholics subwoofer test and while your at it, line up all teh bad boys and etsablish a pecking order of "bad a?? s" subs from baddest to mildest.

F

funky waves

Junior Audioholic
The rated peak outputs are the highest peak output we have measured at any frequency between 10-125hz, the 18.3 does have as much output ~15-40hz as two 18.0, however due to it being a passive radiator(aka "ported") design it sacrifices useability below 13hz, is twice the size, and has reduced peak output in the upper bass region. This new 18.2 will overall match or exceed a pair of 18.0(frequency and power level dependent).

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The rated peak outputs are the highest peak output we have measured at any frequency between 10-125hz, the 18.3 does have as much output ~15-40hz as two 18.0, however due to it being a passive radiator(aka "ported") design it sacrifices useability below 13hz, is twice the size, and has reduced peak output in the upper bass region. This new 18.2 will overall match or exceed a pair of 18.0(frequency and power level dependent).
Ha! Irv - 1, ADTG - 0. :)

jinjuku

jinjuku

Only curse words are available to me to display my utter sense of amazement at this beast. That is one small form factor given the performance.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
This is a logical step I've found it's more cost effective normally to build a dual opposed than a P-Red sub and I really like the results.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis