The 2014 Corvette looks interesting

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
I like most of it, just not sure about losing the iconic round tail lights....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
R&T had an article on it as well. It will apparently debut at the Detroit Auto Show.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I like most of it, just not sure about losing the iconic round tail lights....
Me either. Now that I see the full design I can see why Peters switched to rectangular lights, though. The entire car is angular. Round lights would have probably looked out of place.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Me either. Now that I see the full design I can see why Peters switched to rectangular lights, though. The entire car is angular. Round lights would have probably looked out of place.
Starting to look a lot like a Camaro from the front and back:eek:

But the profile reminds me of a Viper

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
On paper it looks awesome, but I'm keeping an open mind on execution. On paper the current generation was a Porsche-killer, not so much in reality.

The cockpit has a very familiar style and look to a former 1992 Corvette owner. I see Goodyear lost the tire contract completely. Dolts. The seat cushions still look sized for fat guys.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Hate the back end. It's a freakin' Camaro back there. They need to keep the Camaro guys away from the Corvette guys completely. The Corvette has always had far more rounded edges and sweeping lines than the Camaro. The terrible mid-80's Corvette was one of the most angular and seems to also have the least love. I certainly am not at all excited about this vehicle as it has moved from the incredible lines of the last generation into the generic 'American Muscle Car' shape which it has no business being a part of.

If I spend that much on a vehicle I expect it not to share half the lines of the cheap cousin cars out there.

Keep the front end, ditch the back end completely and find a way to move closer to the lines and style which Corvette built a name upon.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That tail light look is the new Chevy. If you look at the other models, nearly all the models have them. It started with the Camaro and has trickled out. While I don't consider it to go with Vette tradition, I kind of like the look.

This was an interesting touch too

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Hate the back end. It's a freakin' Camaro back there. They need to keep the Camaro guys away from the Corvette guys completely. The Corvette has always had far more rounded edges and sweeping lines than the Camaro. The terrible mid-80's Corvette was one of the most angular and seems to also have the least love. I certainly am not at all excited about this vehicle as it has moved from the incredible lines of the last generation into the generic 'American Muscle Car' shape which it has no business being a part of.
I'm not a Vette guy. I especially didn't like the mid-80's as you mentioned. I think a performance car should have soul and look like it has character and soul. The Vette just seems like it hasn't had much character/soul since the 70's. I think this latest version looks better, but for the money, I'd rather go with a Viper. The Viper design has character and soul. It has that "Wow" factor the Vette lacks.

The Vette has suffered under what I call the GM "Blah" design mantra. Make a vehicle design so that it's looks won't offend anyone and the end result is a design that doesn't appeal to anyone. If you are going to resurrect the Stingray name, you should incorporate some of the design elements that gave the old nameplate it's character and appeal. Look how popular the last major design change was for the Mustang. That brought back lots of nostalga. Look at the Challenger...yeah others outperform it on the track but Damm! It looks good!!

Finally GM did something with the interior as well.

The Vette needs to seriously look at it's history for design cues. It needs a design that appeals to people under age 55. My wife points out, and I really haven't seen evidence to the contrary, but when you see a Vette on the road, you expect to see a guy that is 55 or older at the wheel. I really hate to admit it, but dang, she's right.

It's definitely better, but it needs a soul. I don't care for the new Camaro, but it at least has character and a soul. The Vette is like a high performance Stepford wife. Just no soul...

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The Vette needs to seriously look at it's history for design cues. It needs a design that appeals to people under age 55. My wife points out, and I really haven't seen evidence to the contrary, but when you see a Vette on the road, you expect to see a guy that is 55 or older at the wheel. I really hate to admit it, but dang, she's right.

It's definitely better, but it needs a soul. I don't care for the new Camaro, but it at least has character and a soul. The Vette is like a high performance Stepford wife. Just no soul...
Interesting perspective. I know what you mean about it being some old guy driving, but that's also true more often than not for Porsches, Ferrari, Audi R8, Jags, etc, because it's mostly people over 50 who can afford these things. I know I've been disappointing women for years when I get out of a sports car. ;) Even if you get a used one cheap, if you're twenty-something your insurance could be rather breathtaking. And if it isn't insurance it'll be repairs on a used one that get pricey. (The one exception to this rule in this price class has been the BMW M3, which attracts thirty-somethings, but I think that's because it really isn't a sports car; it has a usable back seat and is more practical.)

I really like the Camaro's looks, but it way too big and fat. So is the Challenger. A performance car should not weigh 3900 pounds. I don't care what the Nissan GT-R can do. :) You can feel that fat.

I find it interesting that you think it would attract younger buyers if the design was more retro. I'm over 55, and I don't care for retro at all. I prefer innovation. In fact that's one thing that attracts me to the R8, that it isn't retro. Hmmm. Of course, the way a car drives is to me a lot more important than how it looks.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I like it but what they are doing is kinda obvious.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Those two cars look nothing alike to me. Except for the front fender vent, every slope is different.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
How do you explain that? Oops. My bad.

I *instantly* knew it was Arizona looking at the rocks, because I was just there LOL.

Before they released the ZR1, I saw one broken down on the freeway by my house. Not wrecked though.

D

deedubb

Full Audioholic
Doesn't look too bad to me.

round-tail-light-kit-for-2014-chevrolet-corvette-stingray--image-corvette-italia_100417598_m.jpg

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I like it better with the lights it comes with. You want round lights? Get an older Vette.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't be surprised if they go back to the round lights in the next gen. Jeep switched to rectangular headlights on the Wrangler for a while, but went back to round. Some things are just so tied to a model, people miss them when they're gone.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis