Recommend 32" TV - Minimal banding, wide viewing angle, and decent sound desired.

G

Goldenvoice

Audiophyte
Hi all, new to the forum; I've hung out a little while, read through the on-target buying guides here, plus spent some hours getting a feel of opinions from on-line reviews, etc. So without spending too many hours over-researching this (as I often do with things), I'd like to ask your opinions.

So, our living room - TV room is small, and the viewing distance from the couch iapproxox 6.5' - 7.5' We watch mostly TV (DirecTV), and occasionally DVDs from Netflix, etc. Only now has our trusty old 27" CRT died, and I'm launched into the shark tank to buy a new TV. The local stores seem to have all the TVs adjusted so poorly, have such low quality source, they all look terrible. I can't learn anything about the units by visiting their establishments, so I'm trusting opinions here.

No offense to those here who know how to adjust their screens; most of the folks I know with newer televisions don't seem to know about or care or notice their displays look like (can I say Poo?). I won't rant, so...

I detest color-banding (is that what you call the 'posterizing' effect I see in gradients based bassed units?)
I also see what I call "a bowl of maggots" in my brother-in-laws very expensive DLP from a few years back - would drive me crazy.

I have keen eyesight, and easily notice the screen pattern of pixels in too large a CRT, and in town yesterday noticed the same isssue with a Plasma at Wallyworld (OK, this given to keep y'all from steering me toward a 42" Plasma). I will say, however, I'd like to find a 32" plasma, as minimal banding, and wide viewing angle are paramount, but as I understand it, that technology won't scale down that far.

I'll also note: I'm an audiophile (McIntosh, ADS, etc, grace my studio and living room), and I've pieced together a surround system I'm proud of (crazy with the 27", but whatever), BUT I don't like to run it for general television watching, therefore decent onboard sound would be nice.

Sorry for the ramble. I like to stick with well established brands when I can: Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, etc. There is a "side chair" wide to the viewing area - not sure if a LED/LCD can get there, but I'll try.

Desires:
1. Major well-established / respected brand
2. Minimal / non-existant banding (posterizing)
3. Comparatively wide viewing area
4. Good to decent onboard sound
5. Picture adjustability: color temp, RGB color, etc

As far as budget, it's just a 32" TV, I'd like to keep under $500 or so.

Your feedback to my ramble would be greatly appreciated. :)
Joe

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Samsung and Sony are kings of LCD for image quality. You have to get into their better lineup to really get the best image quality they offer with minimal false contouring (banding/poterization).

Plasmas WILL be best, but you stated you don't want 42". I would still push you towards that as that will be the best image, and 32" at 16:9 is actually shorter in height than your old 27" CRT. If your CRT was non-HD, then I'm sure you would notice the scan lines. No pixels in a CRT. Going to a 42" only adds 4" of height compared to a 27" CRT. Not exactly a huge jump in size really, and at that viewing distance, very appropriate and MANY more options.

Another big issue will be having many 32" options which are 1080p. That really starts with the 40" LED/LCD models.

I would go with this: Amazon.com: Panasonic VIERA TC-L42ET5 42-Inch 1080p 120Hz 3D Full HD IPS LED-LCD TV with 4 Pairs of Polarized 3D Glasses: Electronics

At 40"...
Amazon.com: Samsung UN40EH6000 40-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV (Black): Electronics

at 32"...
Amazon.com: Samsung UN32EH5000 32-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED HDTV (Black): Electronics

I would not go with Sharp, which I think doens't have as good of an image. LG may have some decent image deliveries, but their product is far to poorly built for me to ever recommend them. You do have some 32" choices, but they are generally 'cheap' as that is what the 32" class is all about. Guest bedrooms, not family rooms unfortunately.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
I would tend to agree that a 40"+ plasma would be your best bet if you are picky about picture quality. Of the LCD/LED models I've seen I tend to like the picture samsung has so see which native 1080p rsolution models fit into your price range. Also might want to check the places return/refund policy that way you can try it in your home at no risk, just bring it back if you don't like it.

Steve

P.S. On the subject of CRTs, they do indeed have pixels. The last CRT I bought, a Toshiba 34HF83 had an awesome picture but wow that thing is heavy!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
P.S. On the subject of CRTs, they do indeed have pixels.
No, CRTs use scan lines, not picture elements to create an image. Lines are scanned onto a phosporous coating to create the image. This is the record player equivalent to a compact disc. It's analog, so you don't have pixels and you tend to get a very smooth image without false contouring effects. The digital displays, DLP, plasma, LCD, OLED, etc., all have individual picture elements (pixels) which are uniquely identifiable and addressable. You tend to get a sharper image, but the color depth is far less forgiving and false contouring is often a very serious issue, especially with digital delivery methods and lower quality sources.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
No, CRTs use scan lines, not picture elements to create an image. Lines are scanned onto a phosporous coating to create the image.
While the methods are different than with LCD/Plasma, the pixels on a CRT are defined by its apeture mask/grille.

Steve

G

Goldenvoice

Audiophyte
Whoa, I think we just avoided a technical discussion ;) OUTCOME of a CRT - yes pixels, but they are not handled independently. To my eyes the best picture, however. I would love to go back in time and be able to compare todays to the TV I grew up with - was the 2nd color unit in our town, the sides of the screen were almost round, and it was an olive greenish color when off (late 50s early 60s unit) - but, it's been a long time coming to think perhaps I see TVs as pleasant to the eye... anyway

Thanks for the input: I purchased a Samsung 32" 1080p from Best Buy, for a very reasonable price (in fact, so nice I won't post it:) ): model UN32EH5000F, Version TS01, which is reported to be a panel manufactured by Samsung. Size wise, I'd have chosen a 37", or 42" for movies, but this 32" fits in the wifes beloved entertainment center, and it really is a nice size for our viewing distance (mostly general TV watching).

Thumbs up :) Joe

Daniel Fletcher

Daniel Fletcher

Audiophyte
Thanks for the input: I purchased a Samsung 32" 1080p from Best Buy, for a very reasonable price (in fact, so nice I won't post it:) ):
Well, now you made us all curious. How much did it cost?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis