Building 2 Sealed Enclosures for my 2 - 10" Subs

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
So I decided to redesign boxes for my 10" Eclipse SW8102 subwoofers. I have been utilizing them in a very small sealed enclosure for the past year or two since I pulled them out of my car a few years ago. Currently they are in a 0.5 cubic ft enclosure for each 10 with the gray carpet as standard on most car enclosures. Here it is.

View attachment 11166

So after much debate between sealed and ported I opted for sealed. For two reasons, easier to build and better sound quality in my opinion. I stumbled across a site Home page DIY Sound Group and decided to go with the 1.25 cubic foot size and send them the cutout sizes for my Eclipse subs. I also buck up 2 pairs of terminal lugs to mount to the back since I will be using my external Adcom Amp.

Here are some pics of the kit and the assembly, gluing and clamping process. I used the advice of several to not use any screws or nails and just lots of wood glue.

Here are the pics...in the next post. Tomorrow will be assembling the second box and starting to sand this one.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Well I found an autobody shop to do the finshing of the cabinets....I dropped them off Saturday and should get them back finished this Saturday. I think I got a good deal. $100 to fill the gaps, sand and do a full paint for each.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So I decided to redesign boxes for my 10" Eclipse SW8102 subwoofers. I have been utilizing them in a very small sealed enclosure for the past year or two since I pulled them out of my car a few years ago. Currently they are in a 0.5 cubic ft enclosure for each 10 with the gray carpet as standard on most car enclosures. Here it is.

View attachment 11166

So after much debate between sealed and ported I opted for sealed. For two reasons, easier to build and better sound quality in my opinion. I stumbled across a site Home page DIY Sound Group and decided to go with the 1.25 cubic foot size and send them the cutout sizes for my Eclipse subs. I also buck up 2 pairs of terminal lugs to mount to the back since I will be using my external Adcom Amp.

Here are some pics of the kit and the assembly, gluing and clamping process. I used the advice of several to not use any screws or nails and just lots of wood glue.

Here are the pics...in the next post. Tomorrow will be assembling the second box and starting to sand this one.
I have some of the specs for that driver in my data base. Full specs were never published. However in your boxes you will have an F3 of 46 Hz. The Qtc will be 0.57 which is excellent. You have an xmax of 300 mm to work with so you will need to Eq. You always do for a sealed enclosure. You will need to apply Eq at 12 db per octave starting around 55 Hz. (Linkwitz transform). You will need a high pass filter at 20 Hz. If you do that you will have pretty impressive subs. There will be little deep bass without Eq. You will need lots of amp power. I can not find pe or sensitivity specs for that driver, and so I have no idea what spl you will achieve.

As Fuzz has found out, sealed subs are not easy to implement. A sealed box is easier to build, however the total design is more complex than ported, and more expensive.

Good luck and keep us posted.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Can I accomplish this with a Crown XLS 1000 or 1500?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Can I accomplish this with a Crown XLS 1000 or 1500?
That should give you enough amp power. What are you going to use for the equalizer and high pass subsonic filter?

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I thought the crown would give me this functionality?? If not then I may go with an INuke from Behringer, will that do it for me?

Also, I am not sure I understand what the High Pass Subsonic filter does? I believe my sub will only play down to about 26 Hz, so what does the 20 hz filter do?

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
You will need to apply Eq at 12 db per octave starting around 55 Hz. (Linkwitz transform). You will need a high pass filter at 20 Hz. If you do that you will have pretty impressive subs. There will be little deep bass without Eq. .
Can somebody help me understand how I accomplish this?? I will assembling and testing This weekend and do not know what I need to buy to accomplish this. Is is simply buying one of those MiniDSP modules that are around $100 or so??

Thanks

Jeff

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Okay so I got the boxes back today and took a bunch of pics during assembly.....I can not figure out how to add more pics?? How do I delete the one in my Manage Attachments File???

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Okay Here are the build pics....

I am not doing well managing my photos...if there is a secret please let me know.. I had to delete my construction pics to get these to upload..I guess I am out of memory for my account.

In my opinion they came out awesome!!!! So I guess that is the most important....Even my Wife was impressed.
IMG_0031.jpgIMG_0047.jpgIMG_0041.jpgIMG_0033.jpg

Last edited:
J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
MORE PICS...Finished Product.

Here are some more...Can't wait to get my MINIDSP. They already sound great just using my Onk 708 equalizer to assist down low.
IMG_0046.jpgIMG_0043.jpgIMG_0051.jpgIMG_0047.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis