Phono Cartridge Recomendations

N

ntmncer1

Audiophyte
I have a techniques 1200 MK2 and I want to upgrade the cart.

I am looking at Orotphon Diamond Red, Gold Ring G21 and the Clear Audio Concept V2.

So I guess you could say my budget is around $200.

Any recos?

Thanks

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
That's a great deal on a Blue. That would cost over $300 here in Canada.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Relax man. I'm not going audiophile on you. :D

The cartridge I had before it had a different stylus shape. Its actually the stylus not the cartridge that is responsible for the above remark. The previous cartridge revealed the flaws of the record more so than what I have now. Ticks and pops aren't as pronounced with the Red and I notice no high frequency roll off either.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have three that I swap in out according to my moods:D. The Shure M97Xe is a real bargain and can be had at certain one day sales for under $60, it is a work horse, only complaint is the mounting hardware, easily fixed, so really no complaints. These also:

Audio Technica 440 MLa Micro Line Phono Cartridge. 1-800-229-0644.

Amazon.com: denon dl 110

I really like the AT 440 most out of the three, as 3db says it can dig out the music while ignoring the surface noise. In other words I think it tracks better especially in the critical area of the LP's mid to end of the run out groove. If you keep your LPs in good condition, surface noise becomes a non issue anyway. The AT has the lightest tracking force of the three and yet it stays in the "groove" so to speak, excellent little tracker.
Cheers Jeff:)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Now that's an interesting trick;):D
Agree, I have the same set up as his, but interestingly I do find the 2M red more sensitive to "noise" than the OM-5E that came stock with the lower cost Project Debut III. I no longer have the Debut to do an A/B compare so may be the Xpression/2M red sounds better so I tend to crank the volume higher, or there is in fact a trick that 3 dB has yet to disclose.:D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The 2M upgrade I did on my XpressionII and I found it quieter than the original OM-5E on table. Off course I cranked PEng!! :p What self respecting music lover wouldn't when the S.O. steps out of the house. ;) I soon lost the Xpression II in a flood after the upgrade.

I now have the Xpression III which has the 2M Red and I found it to be a much quieter turntable than the older XpressionII. I didn't get the chance to the comparison using the Xpression III.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis