N

NLaudiophile

Audiophyte
New here to the forum. I just purchased a set of Energy RC-70s for $800pr. Because they went on sale at futureshop. I've had my eye on Martin Logan Electrostatic ESLs for sometime and had it in mind to purchase those. Lately, I've been reading lots about DefTech BP8080ST. They seem to have nice specs? Any thoughts?

I'm using a Onkyo 818 receiver
Room is 12 X17
Listening: movies-80-90% of the time, music-the other 10-20%

Thanks

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
New here to the forum. I just purchased a set of Energy RC-70s for $800pr. Because they went on sale at futureshop. I've had my eye on Martin Logan Electrostatic ESLs for sometime and had it in mind to purchase those. Lately, I've been reading lots about DefTech BP8080ST. They seem to have nice specs? Any thoughts?

I'm using a Onkyo 818 receiver
Room is 12 X17
Listening: movies-80-90% of the time, music-the other 10-20%

Thanks
The 8080ST is definitely a nice speaker and sounds great. Note that they have built-in subs with a powered amp. That means that each speaker must have a speaker wire AND a power outlet to work properly.

Now, you will have some people on here point out that these aren't the most accurate-measuring speaker out there, and I can't really argue that. But, measurements or no, they sound good. I think the biggest hangup with DefTech is that they obviously post some specs that are not realistic. If you are looking at DefTech specs and measurements, then only look at 3rd party results (ie don't trust DefTech's own published specs).

As far as the built in subs--they are great for 2 channel music. If you want the chest-pound slam of a theater, don't expect to get it out of a pair of 8080STs. You will still need external subs for the at-the-movies bass.

I ended up going with the Goldenear Triton 2 towers over the DefTechs. Those are basically first-cousins to the 8080st

L

Leon1972

Junior Audioholic
Best buy currently has a deal going with the 8080st. 1999.99 for two 8080st floor, 8040 center and 2 8040 surrounds. Food for thought.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I also think DefTech speakers sound good. Yes, their FR measures about +/-3.5 to +/-4dB. Their website specs are also misleading since they don't list the +/-3dB FR. Some people consider that lying. However, DefTech customer support is second to none; they are first rate.

You may see some DefTech " bashing" on forums, as well as B&W, Paradigm, and some other speakers.

C

ceh383

Audiophyte
Best buy currently has a deal going with the 8080st. 1999.99 for two 8080st floor, 8040 center and 2 8040 surrounds. Food for thought.
All the deals I have seen are the BP-8060ST's with the CS-8040HD and SR-8040BP's,this is what I purchased. They do indeed sound good...

N

NLaudiophile

Audiophyte
Thanks for the input. Oddly enough, I did notice some differences in the listed specs on DefTech website and some other websites that tested their speakers. There was quite the difference. The other point, is that I'm looking for a full range of sound. Clean low bass sounds to high crisp clean highs. If I need a separate sub then I will stick to my original plan. The other set of speakers that I have been looking at and have read a lot of reviews both about their specs and testings from other websites are the Martin Logan Electrostatic ESLs. I cannot find any negative feedback on these(Other than a smaller "sweet spot" - but the room is only 12 X 17) Other websites seem to state that they are very clear and crisp, delivering next to no distortion enabling the listener to hear every detail. I love watching movies, but I do enjoy listening to concerts. Having said that, I'd love to have a system that will allow me to sit back, close my eyes and hear each instrument, and without looking can pin point exactly where the instrument is being played(I'm hoping that makes sense!!). I've heard thats its possible but have not come across speakers that will do it. According to certain critics, Martin Logans could do it. I'd rather get some feedback from people on these forums than critics that may or may not have been paid well to write the review!!

Thanks again

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Have you gone out to listen for yourself yet! That is very important before you spend this kind of $!

That being said, go listen to the Goldenear Triton 2 or 3, the DefTechs, and the MLs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the input. Oddly enough, I did notice some differences in the listed specs on DefTech website and some other websites that tested their speakers. There was quite the difference. The other point, is that I'm looking for a full range of sound. Clean low bass sounds to high crisp clean highs. If I need a separate sub then I will stick to my original plan. The other set of speakers that I have been looking at and have read a lot of reviews both about their specs and testings from other websites are the Martin Logan Electrostatic ESLs. I cannot find any negative feedback on these(Other than a smaller "sweet spot" - but the room is only 12 X 17) Other websites seem to state that they are very clear and crisp, delivering next to no distortion enabling the listener to hear every detail. I love watching movies, but I do enjoy listening to concerts. Having said that, I'd love to have a system that will allow me to sit back, close my eyes and hear each instrument, and without looking can pin point exactly where the instrument is being played(I'm hoping that makes sense!!). I've heard thats its possible but have not come across speakers that will do it. According to certain critics, Martin Logans could do it. I'd rather get some feedback from people on these forums than critics that may or may not have been paid well to write the review!!

Thanks again
Well, everyone will feel differently. There is a speaker for everyone. I've listened to the ML Vantage and some other Magnepan speakers. I thought the ML Vantage sounded pretty good, but not as good as my DefTech BP7001SC & BP7000SC (when I had those).

I'm sure ML owners will think differently and favor the ML speakers over the DefTech and other speakers. Everyone feels differently since what we like is subjective.

One thing about these speakers is that you need to place them FAR away from the walls! They are made for LARGE rooms.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Well, everyone will feel differently. There is a speaker for everyone. I've listened to the ML Vantage and some other Magnepan speakers. I thought the ML Vantage sounded pretty good, but not as good as my DefTech BP7001SC & BP7000SC (when I had those).

I'm sure ML owners will think differently and favor the ML speakers over the DefTech and other speakers. Everyone feels differently since what we like is subjective.

One thing about these speakers is that you need to place them FAR away from the walls! They are made for LARGE rooms.
I believe the bipole DTs will have to be farther from the wall (in general) than a similar monopole design too.

I don't think ML would be my choice for HT. However, I would love to own a pair of ML just b/c it is different than most everything else out there.

If I were building HT today, I would be taking a good long look at
Audiophile Loudspeakers and Subwoofers for Home Theater and Music - Ascend Acoustics, renowned speakers,subs,audio

I have no direct experience with these, but I like what I see and the reviews and recs on them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis