It's almost finished...

ss2nv

ss2nv

Audioholic Intern
Just about finished with my living room HT and I thought I'd show it off a bit.:)

*Please excuse the rough cuts behind the amp. All I had at the time was a hole saw and a hacksaw. The wife is making me redo it.*

The specifics:
Elite PRO70X5FD, Fat PS3 for BluRay/DVD/CD, Marantz AV7701, McIntosh MC8207, Paradigm Studio 100 v.5s, Paradigm cc590 v.5 center, Klipsch SF2 rears(temporary), Furman Elite-20pfi power conditioner, music is served up via HDMI from a home-built PC

Still need a two good subs, though. And possibly Peachtree's new DAC that has yet to hit the market.

Anyway, thanks for looking.

Seth

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
Looks nice! Have you tried moving your front speakers out off the wall a bit? They look very close, could just be the angle tho. Great looking set up :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Wow, nice system! You've got some great gear, and your room is nice and cleanly put together. You even have Audioholics on the screen - nice. :D

I saw you make a comment earlier about the SVS SB13-Ultra. Which subs are you thinking about getting?

ss2nv

ss2nv

Audioholic Intern
Wow, nice system! You've got some great gear, and your room is nice and cleanly put together. You even have Audioholics on the screen - nice. :D

I saw you make a comment earlier about the SVS SB13-Ultra. Which subs are you thinking about getting?
Honestly, I am still undecided. I purchased two Rel T-5s, but the room is either too large, or I didn't spend the time to make sure they weren't cancelling each other out. It seemed that I just couldn't find that sweet spot as far as location goes. I returned them. In the end, it will probably go with either SVS or HSU.

ss2nv

ss2nv

Audioholic Intern
Looks nice! Have you tried moving your front speakers out off the wall a bit? They look very close, could just be the angle tho. Great looking set up :)
They are about 6" from the wall. I have read a little on how this affects perceived sound, but haven't really played with it. I guess that if I moved them forward, then I would have to move the center up some as well? It seems like you'd want all three speakers to be close to equal distance from the primary listening position, no?

Edited to add: And thanks for the kind remarks! It has been a little trial and error. We tried B&W CM9s with a CMC2 center, but we just didn't like the sound in our living space. Way too laid back for us. They sounded great in the listening room at the Magnolia store though.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
It seems like you'd want all three speakers to be close to equal distance from the primary listening position, no?
It's not the critical anymore now that delay timing can be adjusted on receivers (and yours does it automatically when you run Audyssey). In one of my listening positions, I sit off to the right, so my front three speakers aren't anywhere near the same distance from me. However, I ran the calibration setup for that position, and it sounds great.

ss2nv

ss2nv

Audioholic Intern
It's not the critical anymore now that delay timing can be adjusted on receivers (and yours does it automatically when you run Audyssey). In one of my listening positions, I sit off to the right, so my front three speakers aren't anywhere near the same distance from me. However, I ran the calibration setup for that position, and it sounds great.
Good to know. I am still playing with Audyssey.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
Seconded. However, from an aesthetics point, I'd probably prefer to have it lined up with the front of the entertainment center. That's just me though. Also, if the center is rear ported it would help with sound quality as well. I'm not sure if yours is or not tho :)

ss2nv

ss2nv

Audioholic Intern
Seconded. However, from an aesthetics point, I'd probably prefer to have it lined up with the front of the entertainment center. That's just me though. Also, if the center is rear ported it would help with sound quality as well. I'm not sure if yours is or not tho :)
Yes, it is.

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
Nice setup. When you go to clean up those cuts in the back of cabinet, get hold of a multi-tool, the easy to use and awesome!

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
You might be able to buy a black plastic vent cover from the hardware store that will screw on from the inside....it will cover the hole and the fan and let the air flow through. It would likely look as if it came from the manufacture as such.

ss2nv

ss2nv

Audioholic Intern
You might be able to buy a black plastic vent cover from the hardware store that will screw on from the inside....it will cover the hole and the fan and let the air flow through. It would likely look as if it came from the manufacture as such.
I would, but the amp hangs out the back of the enclosure quite a bit. I had to do this to allow the door on the front to shut. The more that I think about it, I should have put the amp on its own stand, sitting opposite of the PC.

M

mjcmt

Audioholic
Impressive choice of equipment. I'll bet it has a big powerful sound. BTW, what is the difference between your MC8207 and the MC207? And how is the synergy between Mac and Paradigm?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Impressive choice of equipment. I'll bet it has a big powerful sound. BTW, what is the difference between your MC8207 and the MC207? And how is the synergy between Mac and Paradigm?
Based on what they say on the Mc website, not a whole lot. Looks like mostly cosmetic differences.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
looks real nice. nice gear also.

if you have not considered it, you should look into a projector. then your video would match your audio.

ss2nv

ss2nv

Audioholic Intern
looks real nice. nice gear also.

if you have not considered it, you should look into a projector. then your video would match your audio.
I like my video, thank you...heh. Also, I would have to hang a projector from the ceiling, and this is in my living room, which is open to the kitchen, breakfast nook, and entry. If I had a dedicated theater room, I definitely would be getting a projector. Thanks for the kind comments as well!

ss2nv

ss2nv

Audioholic Intern
Based on what they say on the Mc website, not a whole lot. Looks like mostly cosmetic differences.
I think that is correct. The internals are mostly the same. Also, it was quite a bit cheaper than the one with analog meters.

ss2nv

ss2nv

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the kind words! As far as synergy, all I can say is that it sounds great to me, in my particular room. Before I purchased the Marantz 7701 / Mac MC8207 combo, I had a Marantz SR7007 pushing these speakers all by itself. I could definitely tell a difference when going with the new setup. I guess the word to describe it would be headroom. It seems like when I turn up the volume on the new setup, the sound quality is still there. I could tell that there was some changes in the sound when cranking up the old setup (maybe compression). Oh yeah, and everything runs MUCH cooler with the new setup. The SR7007 was cooking, trying to push everything.

Last edited:
adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
I have serious amp envy right now. I'm in the camp that "amps don't sound different" , but that thing looks awesome. Great setup, Seth.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis