Thanking My Audioholics Friends(Pics are good too) After Sandy...

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I finally got the cabinet together with help from my niece and sister.:) I'm almost finish with the setup I just need to add the surround speakers next, but I need to buy some stands for them. I want to tell you guys I'm so DAMN happy with the setup. Everything sounds so fantastic and looks darn SEXY.:D Oh yeah those wires on the right will be gone soon. I still have to build a desk and bookshelf.:mad::D so I still have some stuff on the floor. The blue sheet on the floor is there so I can put stuff together. Feel free to comment on the setup or suggestions.
Here are a few pics:

The names who are next to each item were given to me and I want to Thank You all for being there for me and kindly donating them to me. Please forgive me If I forgot anyone.
Parasound amp(KEW), Roku XS (Irvrobinson), Donation (steve81), Vizio 37" HDTV(Bought used), Panasonic BD(zieglj01), Ortofon OM10 cartridge(3db), Coming soon (TLSGuy), Clothes(psbfan9), Sony 5 CD Disc Player(J_Garcia), Harmon Karmon 247 AV Receiver(lsiberian), HK AV Setup Mic(jcl), NXG Pro 4.1 Satellite Speaker(theJman), NXG Center(theJman) and OSD Audio PS10 Sub(theJman), All AV connecting cables(ahblaza), EMP Speakers for my amp and Vinyl setup coming soon(Natrix) and Klipsch speakers for surround speakers to be setup soon(macddmac).

THANK YOU KINDLY GUYS! I TRULY LOVE EVERYTHING!

Last edited by a moderator:
mgeoffriau

mgeoffriau

Audioholic Intern
Awesome, great show of generosity.

Out of curiosity, what kind of TV stand/cabinet is that? I'm looking for something simple and straightforward like that.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Wow! Just wow!

Some people give to the Red Cross, but here, Audioholics' give equipment!

Glad you're happy and doing well!

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Looks good!

Glad you're safe and dry!

If you mentioned it, I missed it, but is this the same apartment?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Glad you're safe and dry!

If you mentioned it, I missed it, but is this the same apartment?
Hey psbfan9!

I moved up to the 5th floor now in the same building. I've been here 2 weeks now. Thanks again for your help.:)

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
You guys are awesome

KEW, Irvrobinson, steve81, zieglj01, 3db, TLSGuy, psbfan9, J_Garcia, lsiberian, jcl, theJman, ahblaza, Natrix and macddmac

Remind me to buy you a beer/latte/pop when we run into each other.

R

ratm

Audioholic
KEW, Irvrobinson, steve81, zieglj01, 3db, TLSGuy, psbfan9, J_Garcia, lsiberian, jcl, theJman, ahblaza, Natrix and macddmac

Yup...........

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Hey psbfan9!

I moved up to the 5th floor now in the same building. I've been here 2 weeks now. Thanks again for your help.:)
Okay, good.

Was FEMA any help? After hurricane Charlie, when I lived in Florida, they were no help at all. We didn't have huge losses, but the guy was kind of an a$$. After Jean and Frances, we didn't bother with contacting them.

majorloser

majorloser

Okay, good.

Was FEMA any help? After hurricane Charlie, when I lived in Florida, they were no help at all. We didn't have huge losses, but the guy was kind of an a$$. After Jean and Frances, we didn't bother with contacting them.
Yeah, FEMA pretty much gave up on Florida that year. They were good for supplying blue tarps, though. But then the next year (2005) they got hammered with storm damages. 27 named storms including Katrina and Wilma.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Okay, good.

They me helped a bit psbfan9. I am grateful that they even helped me. Like you said not everyone got help.:( I remember when Katrina happened and they were hammered in the press for not acting quickly. I called right away so maybe that's why I got something. I lost alot of priceless things and FEMA didn't even cover half but to get help in these times is very rare and I'm glad and grateful I got help from them. I'm very grateful to my friends here at audioholics more than anything.

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
Man, that's great! You guys that helped out by giving away your own things and sending them to Afterlife are true gentleman.

The connections and caring between people who have never even met eachother, is a testament to how good this forum can really be when it gets down to brass tacks.

Bravo to all of you.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Glad to see things are looking better for you :) Whoever donated to your cause is a very excellent dude.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
CHEERS TO ALL WHO HELPED!!!!! Great to see afterlife2 back up and listening.

It is great to see everybodies generosity. Thanks to all of you for bringing a smile to my face!!!

Jeff

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief

I'll take you up on that!

I'm helping coordinate a speaker and subwoofer GTG in SE Pennsylvania the second week of April. Your location says "Central PA", so you're definitely within driving distance. The link is on AVS if you want to check it out. Last count there was room for 3 more -- and afterlife was considering it as well -- so you'll get to meet a few of us.

Mark Seaton (Seaton Sound) and Jeff Permanian (JTR Speakers) are going to be their again, and Tom V from PowerSound Audio might as well, so you get a chance to meet a couple of industry luminaries as well.

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
Still looking good art those kind gents that helped out remind me if we ever run in to each other to take you out for a meal

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I got a pair of nice 36 inch speaker stands from a Craigslist seller($20.00:eek:) for the surround speakers yesterday.:) I should be able to set the truly beautiful klipsch(macddmac) speakers up next week when I get my new couch, hopefully. I will post pics when I have them setup. I can't wait!!!!:cool:

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Joe, your mail box is full! I need your attention, so I'm posting your PM here so you know the status of your system.

Dear Joe,
I regret to say I will not get your gear out this week.

Unfortunately my father died Monday evening. My wife, two of my four children and I fly out of Minneapolis Saturday, for England. My eldest boy is living in England currently. The funeral is Thursday. I am glad I had a good visit with him five weeks ago over his 90th birthday celebrations.

The good news is, that I have your rig up and running. In fact I am listening to it now, as I type this message. I have the Brahms piano concerto No. 1 on the turntable. I have been evaluating it this evening with LPs and CDs.

I have refinished the speakers, and I think I have made them acceptable. I have installed a set of drivers that I personally built. I did a lot of research and experiment on adhesives. The drivers I have installed are my late model version of the JW module Mk II. I then went on to design the Mk III. The company was sold to Volt shortly after that and was closed down.

I have had a lot of interruptions the last couple of days with phone calls and Emails. I have refinished the Juliets and they are now I think acceptable.

I will not have time to pack all this up tomorrow and get it shipped. I leave here Friday first thing and will not be back here until January 22.

I have made all your leads except 1, which will be for your CD player. I will do that when I get back.

The other issue is that the switched outlets of the Quad 33 were designed for the 303. It was sold with the 405, but the high start current causes the switch on the volume pot to fail. These are NLA, and I have a few of the last ones. I'm awaiting delivery of a Niles trigger relay system I purchased used on eBay that will prevent this problem form occurring.

I also want to do further testing before shipping. The speakers appeared in 1959, the Quad 33 in 1969, the Quad 405 in 1974, and the 405 II in the late seventies I think. So I need to be sure this excellent venerable gear will give you good service.

Now I need you to send me your Email, so I can send you the instruction and service manuals.

I will ship this probably January 24 or 25 I suspect, most likely January 24.

The 33 and 405 will ship in original packaging. I request that you ship this packing back to me. If you need the 33 or 405 serviced by me, I will ship the packing back to you, so you can ship the units back to me.

If there are any items you don't like or want after you get them, I would respectfully request you return them to me since these are scarce resources.

Please be careful with the speaker sockets on the 405. When yanked they are inclined to break. Usually a short occurs and blows the amp. Please watch out for this and do not leave the speaker leads where you can trip on them.

Your speakers sound very nice with this rig. Even though the speakers are fairly small and there is only one 4" speaker on each cabinet, the speakers are only 6 db down at 40 Hz! In this aspect and many others they are quite remarkable. They handle 15 watts rms (continuous power). However, they have a sensitivity of 90 db 1 watt 1 meter, and will generate 100 db spl in a smallish room. Do not use them for HT. If you must play rock music then keep the volume low. A continuous pounding from rock will destroy these speakers fast. The designers of your electronics and speakers only listened to classical music and may be little folk and jazz. Rock music they despised as I do and was not on their radar. Peter Walker was an excellent flautist and played in professional orchestras, especially the orchestra for the yearly Thee Choirs Festival.

With this rig I would encourage you to test the waters with some classical repertory. I suggest starting with Mozart, Beethoven, Handel Bach, Brahms Schubert and Schumann. The you can advance from there. This rig is more than adequate to do this justice.

The Ortofon Red, I feel inclines to the slightly aggressive. This is where you will find Peter Walkers slope controls and absolute boon. You can select turnover frequencies of 10, 7 and 5 kHz. The slope after turnover can be varied between 1 and 25 db per octave. It works wonders on edgy aggressive discs.

I'm sorry this has got drawn out, but I had my father's 90th birthday celebrations, the holiday season and now my father's funeral. All I can say is that I have done my best.

I have made your speaker leads, amp/pre lead, and a record/playback lead for a tape deck. It would help me if you could let me know the output voltage range of your CD player, then I can get things spot on. The Magnetic 2 preamp of the Quad 33 loads your cartridge perfectly. The Magnetic 1 is for lower output moving magnet types.

As far as Cassette decks, these are now highly problematic and all starting to fail now. All tape decks are a pain. All need the restorers touch now. I just went to use my TEAC Z6000 mastering deck the other day, and find it has a problem in the transport servo board. So that will be on the bench, as soon as I get your gear shipped. If it needs custom parts it is probably the end of the road for it. Fortunately I do have a pro NAK deck which is working.

The Cassette really was an inferior medium, with little to recommend it. If you have cassettes with items not available on other media, I suggest you send them to me for mastering to CD. Even though your cassettes were out of the water, they might well have been damaged by the high humidity. This damages the lubricants and binder, and gives the tape high friction in the tape path, so they will not play properly. I do have a tape baking system that can temporarily restore the tape so it can be archived.

Anyhow sorry for all the delays. The good news is that this seems to be a very nice vintage system, currently in good working order.

Here are some pictures to cheer you up.
IMGP4274-M.jpg

IMGP4275-M.jpg

IMGP4276-S.jpg

It has been my absolute pleasure to do this for you.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis