Need home audio system for music listening

W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
Hi, I'm starting out a new home theater system that will be primarly used for playing music. I would be playing CDs and would like to stream SiriusXM from my computer and/or Android tablet if possible. I would also use it to hook up to a dvd player and tv (need HDMI connection) for movies, and maybe I'll get an xbox 360 for future time wasting. But I primarily want to jam out to a nice stereo system.

Are there stereo systems that are more preferable for music listening as opposed to watching movies and gaming?

I'm looking for recommendations for a:

CD/DVD player
Receiver (recomended # of watts/channel?)
Loudspeaker (# I should get, set up/orientation..)
subwoofer
Amp? (not sure if new receivers need seperate amps..)

I'm looking to spend about $1000 all together. I like to buy things used on craigslist, so I would probably take the recomendations and find things comparable as time goes on Craigslist as opposed to buy everything new today. I don't mind spending more, just I would piece it out over a couple months.

I found Polk RTi4 Bookshelf Speakers, 1 - Polk CSi3 Center speaker and 1 - POLK PSW10 powered subwoofer on Craigslist for about $250 all together. Good deal?

Also found a Yamaha RX-V371 on craigslist.. not sure what I can get it for but looks like under $150..

thanks for any help and advice!

W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
I'm not sure what the size of the room it'll be in either because I'm moving shortly into a new apartment. This will go in the living room however.

W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
Anyone? Is getting a 5.1 or 7.1 home theater set appropriate for music listening?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The RTi line was decent enough and $250 is probably just a bit more than those speakers would be worth to me used (maybe offer $200-225), especially with that sub. When it comes to subs, Polk's low end ones should be avoided.

Good speakers are good speakers, so not it does not really matter what you intend to do with them.

Starting with a 2.1 or 3.1 setup is probably ideal (so the Polks would fit that bill), just to get some sound going. You won't need an amp for now, just the receiver. Can't really recommend wattage, since wattage isn't really going to tell you what you need to know. Just look at model numbers from receivers on CL and we can give you an idea if it is good. I'd avoid used Sony receivers.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Welcome to the forum..

As far as used it depends on what is out there, no real way to recomend anything to you... But for new If I was spending $1000 on a music system I would get...

$332 CBM-170 SE High Performance Bookshelf Loudspeaker
$170 DENON DRA-397 AM/FM Multi Source/Zone Stereo Receiver | Accessories4less {no hdmi, but great for music and has sub output, your tv dosnt have audio outputs? all of mine do...}

$372 STF-2 Subwoofer

all of which is on sale rite now......
that leaves you $100 or so for wires and a cd/dvd, not impossible someone here can give you the number for the panasonic everyone seems to like that is pretty affordable...
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1513/DENON-AVR-1513-5.1ch-Home-Theater-Receiver-3D-ready/1.html
if you want an ht avr there are pleanty to choose from for under $200

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Anyone? Is getting a 5.1 or 7.1 home theater set appropriate for music listening?
I mainly listen to music in stereo > I would do multi-channel if it is
recorded multi-channel, and if the recording sounds good that way.

I will take this Denon over the Yamaha you listed
DENON AVR-591 5.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver | Accessories4less

I will take this Cadence sub, over the sub you listed.
CSX12
http://www.cadencesound.com/products/CSX12-Mark-II.html

I will take the HTD Level Two bookshelves and center, over the ones you listed
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers/Level-TWO-Bookshelf-Speakers
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers/Level-TWO-Center-Channel-Speaker

You can play music off this Sony Bluray player
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158BDPS590/Sony-BDP-S590.html?tp=171

Last edited:
W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the recomendation guys. Also thanks for filling me in on low-end Polk subwoofers. I'm checking out your recomendations now.

I see a pair of used Polk Lsi7's for $250. What you think about those? Would they be good main speakers? Or would they be used for side or background speakers.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the recomendation guys. Also thanks for filling me in on low-end Polk subwoofers. I'm checking out your recomendations now.

I see a pair of used Polk Lsi7's for $250. What you think about those? Would they be good main speakers? Or would they be used for side or background speakers.
I own a pair of lsi7s they are nice speakers but 4 ohm and you will need a 4ohm stable amplifier section to power them... but overall nice speakers...

W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
I own a pair of lsi7s they are nice speakers but 4 ohm and you will need a 4ohm stable amplifier section to power them... but overall nice speakers...
Can you elaborate what you mean by 4 ohm stable amplifier. I believe most speakers are 8 ohms... does this mean the 4 ohm speakers require less power and don't get as loud? I read in a review somewhere that they are more for classical or jazz listening and not so much for rock 'n roll. Is this why?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I used to own the LSi-7s and they are a solid speaker. If you are only running 2 of them, they will be fine with a decent receiver.

ALL of the LSis are 4 Ohm and most of them are pretty demanding, but the 7's a bit less so than the rest of the line. 4 Ohm speakers will draw TWICE the power of a comparable 8 Ohm speaker, but it also depends on other factors such as what you are playing (impedance varies with frequency), how loud, the actual receiver chosen, room size, etc... I had three of them in a medium size room on a Marantz SR5000 (picked up for $200 use) and had no issues. When they are crossed over at 80Hz, they don't present too terrible of a load to the receiver, but that's a Marantz, not a Sony. A decent receiver should be able to handle them, especially with a sub.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
As J said they are going to draw more power than 8 ohm speakers... The lsi7s arent an impossible load and if you buy a receiver that is capable of crossing them over at 80 or so and use a sub, most decent receivers will last a long time...
I will be honest with you though the Ascend cbm170 special editions sound noticeably "better" than the lsi7's {I own both}, you will not find a better sounding bookshelf in that range than the 170 {I have looked}.
If you get the 170s and the HSU STF2 you will have one heck of a music system...

W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
As J said they are going to draw more power than 8 ohm speakers... The lsi7s arent an impossible load and if you buy a receiver that is capable of crossing them over at 80 or so and use a sub, most decent receivers will last a long time...
I will be honest with you though the Ascend cbm170 special editions sound noticeably "better" than the lsi7's {I own both}, you will not find a better sounding bookshelf in that range than the 170 {I have looked}.
If you get the 170s and the HSU STF2 you will have one heck of a music system...
Any recommendations for receivers with HDMI inputs/outputs?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Any recommendations for receivers with HDMI inputs/outputs?
So, you did not see the receiver recommendation in post #6

Weigh out all speaker options - there is no best speaker on the planet.

W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
So, you did not see the receiver recommendation in post #6

Weigh out all speaker options - there is no best speaker on the planet.
Sorry, yes I did see it. I'd be a little worried to buy a refurbished reciever.. seems like they'd be more likely to fail, and without the warranty. I see other sites that sell them though. I like the Denon brand. I have a Denon DM38s microsystem in my bedroom that I love!

I'm looking for a receiver that has sometime of wireless/ internet connection so I can stream my SiriusXM from my computer or tablet from. Also a USB connection would be nice to play music from my phone. Any recommendations?

I'll take your guys' word on the 170s. they seem like they would be good speakers. Not really a good brick and morter store around here that I could test out different type of speakers. There's a best buy near but it's a small one in a small complex.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
You can only buy the 170s on their sight, as far as the refurbs they are ussually just open boxed or returned to store units that denon goes through checks out and sells at a discount, you still get a warranty, and I have bought a few with no issues...
The 170s have an in-home trial period so if you don't like them send them back for a refund....

I thought you were considering used gear? you don't get more of gamble than that, I will take refurbed with a 1yr over used any day of the week!!!

The receiver isnt going to make a huge difference, I recommend the 170s because they are made with top of the line components and I have listened to many bookshelf speakers and I would say in comparison with others the 170s are worth triple their price tag.... You pair them with a good sub like the vtf2 and you will be amazed how warm, clean and defined it sounds... I would get a receiver with preouts so you can run a separate amplifier in the future, the 170s are easy to run but really open up when you have more power, I run 1 of my sets with a small emo miniX, and a wd sealed sub, and I will compare that system to anything under $2000...

good luck with your decisions, keep in mind HSU and Ascend are direct from the manufactuer companies, you get the trial period and you can call and talk to the owner and designer if you like so CS is top notch with both...

TJ260

Audiophyte
Hi Everyone Im new to the forum, and didnt mean to bust in on this thread but I couldnt figure out how to start a new thread, Im looking for some advice about a stereo setup im goin to run, its a HK3490 Stereo receiver 120 wpc and 2 Paradigm Monitor 7 v7 floorstanders just wondering what all you experts think about this combo or if anyone has this setup and what does it soundlike, any advice would be appreciated.
TJ

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis