Definitive Technology Official Thread

J

Joe@Definitive

Manufacturer
Hello all, Joe@Definitive here. Andrew's glowing review of the Definitive Studio Monitor 65's got us thinking: why don't we have an official Definitive Thread on the Audioholics site? We do now! So let's post pictures of systems, trade information, ask questions etc. We truly appreciate all the Definitive Technolgy fans out there, and I look forward to seeing your comments.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Me first, Me first

I'll kick it off.

I recently purchased the SM350s for $200 delivered from NewEgg. Definitely a good decision. I am most impressed with the detail on these small speakers. I am not overly impressed with the low freq extension, but for a speaker so small, it is pretty dang good. My only reservation is that maybe I should have opted for the 450 instead.

I did also audition the 8060ST maybe 1.5 years ago. The problem was....the dealer in my area didn't have any 8080STs to audition. The best I could do was hear the 8060 and extrapolate from there. That just didn't cut it for me. I ended up purchasing the Goldenear Triton 2 towers that day from a different dealer instead. Of course, the GEs are practically first cousins to the STs anyway. I think the GEs have an advantage with that awesome ribbon tweeter. The GEs were in-stock and I left with them that day. The 8080 was not available to audition and I would have to wait a week for them to arrive. I just couldn't do it with that much money on the line.

I'm sure I would have been pleased with the 8080ST. But I am certainly pleased with the Triton 2 (definitely bested the 8060 IMO but not really a fair fight), and I just couldn't pull the trigger on the 8080 without an audition first.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Don't really have much to add to this thread other than I love all of my Definitive speakers, and I own quite a few of them.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I used to own BP7000SC, BP7001SC, CLR3000, SC Trinity, BP10B, SM450.

I do think DefTech speakers sound pretty great when compared to just about any speaker out there.

In terms of FR measurements, I haven't checked any recent DefTech measurements, but I think the speaker with the flattest FR was the Mythos ST towers, which was less than +/-3dB. Most of the DefTech I've seen measure around +/-3.5dB to +/-4dB. I think the FR of DefTech is comparable to most B&W & Klipsch, but not as flat as Revel, KEF, etc, but still flatter than some others like Wilson, Zu, Martin Logan, Manepan, and the older Legacy Audio (don't know about the new Legacy).

I think their FR publication on their website is very bad and is the root of all evil-bashing DefTech has endured. They simply need to publish their +/-3dB FR. Simple as that.

Yes, measurement is not everything. The actual sound is more important. But it is still important to have better information on their website.

A good friend of mine DenPureSound (RIP) had the opportunity to enjoy the BP7001SC before he passed away. He first bought the Aperion flagship speakers, but it didn't work out. So he went to a local dealer and auditioned many Klipsch, DefTech, and GoldenEar. He fell in love with the BP7001SC.

Send Margaritas

Send Margaritas

Audioholic

I think their FR publication on their website is very bad and is the root of all evil-bashing DefTech has endured. They simply need to publish their +/-3dB FR. Simple as that.

Yep. A self-inflicted wound. I heard the monitors with the passive radiators and was shocked how good they sounded. You have to fire the used car salesmen in the marketing department for some credibility. Personally, I'd like speakers with cherry/rosewood etc. veneers too. Not just black.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yep. A self-inflicted wound. I heard the monitors with the passive radiators and was shocked how good they sounded. You have to fire the used car salesmen in the marketing department for some credibility. Personally, I'd like speakers with cherry/rosewood etc. veneers too. Not just black.
They do make a few white speakers too ;)

Personally, I like the plain-jane look of the DTs.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Is Chet still working with you guys in customer service? I've been dealing with him off and on for the better part of 20 years (since he was still over @ Polk). Good guy, hope he's well.

DJ

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is Chet still working with you guys in customer service? I've been dealing with him off and on for the better part of 20 years (since he was still over @ Polk). Good guy, hope he's well.

DJ
Chet is awesome for sure. I think the Def Tech customer support is absolutely first rate in general!

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Chet has been very helpful to me in the past as well, Definitive has excellent customer service for sure.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Chet has been very helpful to me in the past as well, Definitive has excellent customer service for sure.
They are the most generous, trusting, prompt, dependable support I've ever met - like Amazon customer service. :D

J

Joe@Definitive

Manufacturer
Hi Slip

I'll kick it off.

I recently purchased the SM350s for $200 delivered from NewEgg. Definitely a good decision. I am most impressed with the detail on these small speakers. I am not overly impressed with the low freq extension, but for a speaker so small, it is pretty dang good. My only reservation is that maybe I should have opted for the 450 instead.

I did also audition the 8060ST maybe 1.5 years ago. The problem was....the dealer in my area didn't have any 8080STs to audition. The best I could do was hear the 8060 and extrapolate from there. That just didn't cut it for me. I ended up purchasing the Goldenear Triton 2 towers that day from a different dealer instead. Of course, the GEs are practically first cousins to the STs anyway. I think the GEs have an advantage with that awesome ribbon tweeter. The GEs were in-stock and I left with them that day. The 8080 was not available to audition and I would have to wait a week for them to arrive. I just couldn't do it with that much money on the line.

I'm sure I would have been pleased with the 8080ST. But I am certainly pleased with the Triton 2 (definitely bested the 8060 IMO but not really a fair fight), and I just couldn't pull the trigger on the 8080 without an audition first.
Hello Slip, it's too bad that your local dealer didn't stock the 8080's, but I can understand that you did not want to buy them without an audition. Good luck and happy listening - best, Joe

J

Joe@Definitive

Manufacturer

DJ
Hi DJ, yes, Chet is on the phone with a customer now - I can hear him ;). He's a pleasure to work with, and Adam and TJ are great too. You can reach any of them at info@definitivetech.com or just call in: 800-228-7148. Thanks for your kind words! Best, Joe

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hello Slip, it's too bad that your local dealer didn't stock the 8080's, but I can understand that you did not want to buy them without an audition. Good luck and happy listening - best, Joe
Yup, really is a shame. Oh well, I'm happy with the GEs and the SMs too. I had no problem paying the modest sum for the SMs without a proper audition.

C

ceh383

Audiophyte
I auditioned a set of BP-8060ST's the other day, simply amazing sound.
I went online and ordered a set, along with a CS8040HD and two SR8040BP's
If they sound half as good in my house as they did in the store I will be happy...VERY HAPPY

J

Joe@Definitive

Manufacturer
They are the most generous, trusting, prompt, dependable support I've ever met - like Amazon customer service. :D
Thank you AcuDefTechGuy! We are lucky to have Chet, Adam and TJ working for us. It's good to take care of people :)
Best, Joe

J

Joe@Definitive

Manufacturer
Yup, really is a shame. Oh well, I'm happy with the GEs and the SMs too. I had no problem paying the modest sum for the SMs without a proper audition.
I am glad you are digging your SM's. The new ones were probably long overdue, but are getting great customer feedback. I am glad we have them!

J

Joe@Definitive

Manufacturer
I auditioned a set of BP-8060ST's the other day, simply amazing sound.
I went online and ordered a set, along with a CS8040HD and two SR8040BP's
If they sound half as good in my house as they did in the store I will be happy...VERY HAPPY
Thank you for saying so, CEH. Our biggest problem this fall has been keeping them in stock. You will love them. Maybe you can post pics when you get them set up? Best, Joe

J

Joe@Definitive

Manufacturer
I recall seeing an offical DEF TECH thread here in the past...AAMOF last activity was a while ago...here it is!

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/19293-definitive-tech-speaker-owners-thread.html

Btw...having offical owners threads(all mfgs) in any forum is never a bad thing..;):)
Agreed, Billy. I got on the old thread you posted and it's been a while, so I am glad we're back. We plan to show something really cool in Las Vegas, so I'll try to get a post on this site from there. Best, Joe

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis